Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.5 six for Whitey
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
So, I'm finally working, kind of, on Whitey's new engine. I've decided on a 2.5 six. I've got a 2.2T motor sitting on the floor of my garage in unknown condition and its missing the alternator, carbs, intakes, etc...I just bought a 2.7 7R case.

Here's my plan, I'm open to input and suggestions.

* 7R case, time serts and shuffle pinned as needed
* 66mm crankshaft, not sure if I'll use the T crankshaft I have or get a counterweighted crank
* 90mm Pistons and Cylinders, compression ratio? (9.5-10ish?)
* E or S cams, or some custom variant
* Richard Clewett's Electromotive kit for 911 (includes spark and all fuel rail, injectors, etc...)
* Single or Dual plug, not sure yet
* Heads cleaned up, machined to accept 90mm Ps

Whatdya think? Any thoughts on HP estimates? Different-but-in-the-same-ballpark ideas?
sixnotfour
Have the heads ports opened up to S specs
jcambo7
What kind of carbs on the 2.2? Zenith?
seanery
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ May 25 2012, 10:44 AM) *

What kind of carbs on the 2.2? Zenith?

no carbs, Electromotive TEC GT kit from Richard Clewett.
rick 918-S
Like the injection path.
stuttgart46
+1. That is purdy.
Valy
QUOTE(seanery @ May 25 2012, 07:36 AM) *

* 90mm Pistons and Cylinders, compression ratio? (9.5-10ish?)
* E or S cams, or some custom variant

You need to know the intake spec for that cam.
Make sure you don't get over 8:1 dynamic CR or you'll have to use race gas.
d914
if i remember correctly, that's a short stroke 2.5???? Way fun... Lots of revs, horse power ok, no torque and way fun to drive..

My old car was 190 to the ground and 138 tq... It was way to peaky, took it a bit far, 46's.. I think it would have been much nicer with my old 40"s.

sixnotfour
twin plug
mod S cams

E cams it will never be a torquer
sixnotfour
icon_bump.gif
seanery
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ May 25 2012, 08:56 PM) *

I've been trying to get those! I think they've sold sad.gif
campbellcj
AFAIK you don't need twin-plug for compression that low. Looks like a sweet plan! I was leaning towards a 2.5 for my car too, but then I found a 2.7 already built with specs close to what I wanted. Unfortunately it had "issues" and is now becoming a more extreme 2.8...
gandalf_025
Back in the late 70's - early 80's my mechanic built me a 2.5.
It was done just to see what it would be like....
It was done on a budget at the time and used what was available for short money.
Started out as an early 1965 2 liter.
Case and heads were cut to hold the 2.7 cylinders. Aluminum case was boat tailed but no oil squirters were installed. It used the 65 crank and I'm pretty sure the rods. The original 1965 solex cams were used and the P+C's were for a 2.7 Euro S with Mechanical Injection.
The weber carbs had the venturi's cut open to I think 46mm.

Engine was the most fun 911 engine I've ever owned. Reved like crazy and made great sounds from both the intakes and exhaust. During carb tuning, I was convinced the clutch was slipping when shifting into 3rd at 6500 rpm + and then found it was actually breaking the stock tires loose.

I still have the engine.. Last time it ran was maybe 1985. Hopefully I can get the cash to get it done over and put back into my car some day. At this point, the things I'll change on it are...

Later, bigger oil pump
Bigger valve 2.7 heads with twin plugs cut.
JE pistons
Oil cooler somewhere in the back of the car..

My advise would to go for the big oil pump and check out the Compression #'s on JE Pistons and specs on the early solex cams. Cut the heads for twin plug now.. Much easier and cheaper than removing them later.. and you can just put plugs in them till you go for the ignition upgrade.
Enjoy the hell out of it..

seanery
Gandalf, that's the kind of stuff I like to hear! Are you thinking a turbo oil pump or a carrera? I'm planning on a GT cooler in the front. I assume you still had the little cooler on the engine? I think I'll definitely machine the heads for twin plug even if I just go with the single plug at first. Theres a 1k difference in the engine management between the single and twin plug systems =(
gandalf_025
When the time comes, I'll be buying the biggest pump I can afford.
I know they aren't cheap.
Not sure if there will be a fitment issue with such an early case.
Like the stock shifter rod wouldn't fit past the engine

Here is a picture of the engine as it sits now. It still used the 65 chain boxes and the cams still squirted oil. Early lower valve covers too. From the outside, it looks like a stock early motor. Number is pretty early.. 901552

Click to view attachment
seanery
I know the first pump listed here should work, price seems fair for a new OEM pump.

New Oil Pump on Ebay

This one is a used 3.6 pump, will they work?

3.6 Oil Pump on Ebay
seanery
I thought this was interesting.
Carrera Tensioner Bulletproofing
Eric_Shea
Having mine with huge intake ports and radical cams I would recommend (as recommended herein) S ports and Mod-S cams. 36-38mm ports and those cams should make it very drivable. Agree with the twin plug recommendations as well. Plug them if you don't plan to use them right away.
brant
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 29 2012, 05:38 AM) *

Having mine with huge intake ports and radical cams I would recommend (as recommended herein) S ports and Mod-S cams. 36-38mm ports and those cams should make it very drivable. Agree with the twin plug recommendations as well. Plug them if you don't plan to use them right away.

your ports aren't too big...
your track (street) is just too small
you need to put that car on the track eric
it will love you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.