Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SLITS
Ok, it was in the catalog and for $35.00 including shipping I had to by one:

IPB Image

I will give it the ol' Electric Kool-Air Acid Test as soon as possible to see if it bends or breaks (yeh, I'll hang a dressed 1.7 from it so it will be no loss). cool.gif unsure.gif
ArtechnikA
should hold a T-IV if precariously.

i wouldn't hang a 3,6TT on one of those tho...
TimT
That engine stand/holder is scary...
iamchappy
I gave a new one away for free last spring, was considering using it for the tranny.
ThinAir
I bought mine about 30 years ago when I was doing the engine in my bus. Since I don't have a bench to mount it on, I got a scrap beam that I extended through the ceiling and bolted to the house framing. I found some shelf brackets at the local hardware store that actually had a weight rating on them - something like 300 or 400 pounds each.

I tore down a Type IV on this a couple of weeks ago and starting next week I'll start building my new Type IV on it. It works great.
SLITS
Thanks Ernie, I won't wear my steel toes now! beerchug.gif
Rhodes71/914
I need a cheap engine stand, what catalog? I want one.

sr
seanery
I hung a fully dressed (without HE's) on one that was mounted to my bench.
But I kept a furniture dolly wedged underneath it.

Since it's been stripped (the motor) I don't wedge the dolly anymore.
I may have sagged a bit and bounce a bit (the mount-not the bench) but it seems ok for the $.

JC Whitney sells 'em pretty cheap and I've seen them on some of the bug sites for as low as $19.

Sean, search Empi stand and you should find several pages of them.
ThinAir
Any VW parts place will have them. They come in a couple of different configurations. Mine is a bench-mount. I know they come in another configuration, but I can't remember what.
SLITS
QUOTE(Rhodes71/914 @ Oct 12 2004, 09:25 PM)
I need a cheap engine stand, what catalog? I want one.

sr

Tweeks (Mid America) $27.95 + shipping
machina
QUOTE(TimT @ Oct 12 2004, 08:55 PM)
That engine stand/holder is scary...

I have that stand and it was scary with the fully dressed motor, flexed like crazy. I always had a bench under the motor and at night I jammed a 2x4 under for extra safety.

Once the motor is down to the short block, it seems just fine. For guys who rebuild once in a long while, I think its fine.
ArtechnikA
i found a deal on EBay, the complete 4-arm P201 (the latest versions have 5) the flywheel lock, the holder thingie, and the steel column floor mount. since pretty much all i do is 6's, i just can't imagine the thought of that crashing to the ground. the column will be bolted to the concrete floor with expanding masonry anchors, and the stand bolted to the column. i think 4 arms is adequate for most 6's -- the factory tools sprouted the 5th arm around the time of the big (and very heavy) turbo motors...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.