Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone ever grafted a 911 roof on a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
csdilligaf
I know it is a reach but I am considering trying it. I did see a 914 with a Honda Civic roof but I did not think it looked so good. I have a 911 roof and windsheild frame and am might give it a shot. Just want something different and want to see if it has been done.

thanks,
URY914
Why?
SirAndy
QUOTE(csdilligaf @ May 25 2012, 06:53 PM) *
Just want something different and want to see if it has been done.

The search is your friend ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=101444

biggrin.gif
poorsche914
Here is a 914/944 concept I came up with:

Click to view attachment

driving.gif
Dave_Darling
The 944 roof has been done. There's a blue 914 with a 944 roof panel grafted on.

--DD
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ May 25 2012, 10:13 PM) *

Here is a 914/944 concept I came up with:

Click to view attachment

driving.gif

Can you say Fiero? barf.gif
carr914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 26 2012, 12:08 AM) *

The 944 roof has been done. There's a blue 914 with a 944 roof panel grafted on.

--DD

Click to view attachment biggrin.gif
wingnut86
icon8.gif

Marine epoxy the targa down and add a rollbar.

Yer done...
csdilligaf
Part of my reason for considering this is I have a 914 tub that has a ton of rust through out the winsheild frame and cowl. I also have a 911 roof and windsheild frame and cowl that is cherry and a new glass. The photo shop 911 roof just looks wrong but the Ghia roof in the link is awesome.
Katmanken
One thing you might want to check first before you get too far is the width of the 911 windshield, frame and roof.

If it was a perfect world, the 911 roof/frame/ windshield would fit perfectly, the frame rake is a perfect match to the 914 side windows, the side windows would roll up and mate perfectly, and the roof would align perfectly with the flat top of the rollbar.

But in a real world, different parts from different cars made by the same manufacturer rarely fit exactly. If they did, I could drop a 911 windshield into my 914 frame, and easily bolt on Boxster bumpers.

Sounds like you have the parts you want to try to use, and need to do a quick form/ fit/ function test.

Let us know what you find.
URY914
It will be a hell of a lot of work and will look like ass when you're done. But hey go for it. Remember to post pics along the way.
VaccaRabite
I don't know. I think a 914 fastback would look great.

IPB Image
I like it. Not for everyone, and a hell of a lot of work, but I like it. I think the same goes for all highly modified 914s.

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 26 2012, 08:54 AM) *
I think a 914 fastback would look great.

agree.gif
dlkawashima
QUOTE(csdilligaf @ May 26 2012, 07:35 AM) *

The photo shop 911 roof just looks wrong but the Ghia roof in the link is awesome.

Here's a subtle change ..... slightly raked the windshield and lowered the front part of the roof a couple of inches. Maybe more Ghia like?

Click to view attachment

BajaXJ92
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ May 26 2012, 02:02 PM) *

QUOTE(csdilligaf @ May 26 2012, 07:35 AM) *

The photo shop 911 roof just looks wrong but the Ghia roof in the link is awesome.

Here's a subtle change ..... slightly raked the windshield and lowered the front part of the roof a couple of inches. Maybe more Ghia like?

Click to view attachment

That looks a ton better! beerchug.gif
IronHillRestorations
Looks kind of like an Opel Kadett
SirAndy
QUOTE(9146986 @ May 26 2012, 02:13 PM) *

Looks kind of like an Opel Kadett

agree.gif

Opel Kadett C to be exact
Dr Evil
I like it. smile.gif
Mike Bellis
Remember this one?

IPB Image

IPB Image

Or this one??

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
I always thought the silver Tapiro was a really beautiful design, but net very Porsche-like.

Seem to remember that it was destroyed by vandals/protestors at some time.

The green Goertz design was just plain butt ugly IMHO.
EdwardBlume
How do you add oil? blink.gif
wingnut86
Pantera with a short nose confused24.gif
csdilligaf
IPB Image
Chris914n6
I've once seen a 914 where the inner door frame was cut out and replaced with a 911 inner door frame so that it used the 911 power window assm. Might work with 911 glass to fit the 911 roof.
Probably will want to do without the 911 rear glass for cooling, noise and ascetics.

I probably shouldn't admit this but I've kinda been wanting to splice the 944 rear hatch onto the 914 water pumper. But in reality I'll just buy a VW Golf hatchback someday lol.
struckn
Being an Air Cooled Flat four, the fast back would have some issues I'd think. Plus the interior noise and heat might be too much to make it practical as a driver.

confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 26 2012, 04:37 PM) *
Seem to remember that it was destroyed by vandals/protestors at some time.

I thought his Ex set it on fire?
idea.gif
speed metal army
QUOTE(csdilligaf @ May 26 2012, 05:40 PM) *

IPB Image

Is this thing coming or going? lol-2.gif The front is on the left,right? biggrin.gif
avidfanjpl
I think all the cars in this thread minus the green attempt at a Ferrari Breadwagon are fantastic!

I would love to have a 904/914 hybrid with a 993 motor and a G50, but with big air ducts to keep the cockpit cool without A/C.

Can anyone draw one? I play guitar, not good with drawing.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.