Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What have you found in your walls?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I found this behind the medicine chest.

60 + years of blades! ohmy.gif
McMark
Scary! unsure.gif
MattR
someone musta spilled a box of blades... er...

At work right now we have a bucket full of those things (literally a 5 gallon bucket). It was a freebe from next door. Imagine sticking your hand in a bucket of razor blades... I still havent done it.
nebreitling
the one in the front still has some blow on it! ohmy.gif
SpecialK
Wasn't my house, but while doing an HVAC install in a house built in the early 1900's we tore into a wall for the flue and found the walls insulated with "old" Denver Post newspapers (can you say "FIRE HAZARD"), and a tin Budweiser beer can in mint condition (the kind you used a can opener on). I wanted the beer can, but the 'boss' snatched it up (bastard!) mad.gif
rick 918-S
Local Newpaper from 1893. The City ran an open bid for a wooden sidewalk to be installed in the downtown district. Oh ya and a big bag of real glass cats eye marbles.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 12 2004, 08:30 PM)

60 + years of blades! ohmy.gif

Some houses had a disposal slot for discarding your old blades. It was a modern convienence! wink.gif
ejm
I was helping a friend put on an addition....ripped off the siding....found the sheathing was rifle packing crates from the Springfield Armory
Found an alarm clock in one of my walls blink.gif
spare time toys
When we did a renovation on my great grandmothers place out in the country. We found an old muzzel loader behind a hatch in the kitchen pantery. My grandmother said it was for when indians may attack? huh.gif
maf914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 12 2004, 10:34 PM)
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 12 2004, 08:30 PM)

60 + years of blades!  :o

Some houses had a disposal slot for discarding your old blades. It was a modern convienence! wink.gif

Yeah, I vaguely remember medicine cabinets that had a slot in the back wall labeled "razor blades" for disposal. That was back in the days of the double and single edge safety razors.

Those razors may have been the latest technology at the time, but they were dangerous. Last year I switched from twin edge cartridge type to the new triple edge flexy type razors. They sure do work well. Better shave and fewer nicks. biggrin.gif
TimT
Old newspapers for insulation, Mice skeletons, droppings

And a tiffany box that had a gold palm leaf in it, dont know who it belonged to.
balljoint
Aluminum foil. Stops the government from reading your mind.

Just like my foil hat for outside.
Jake Raby
My house had (and still has) old feed sacks for insulation!

They go back to around 1931
GaroldShaffer
Helped a friend re-wire his house. Found a lot of late 1800 / early 1900 coins.

My old house just had half dollar coins on top of the med cabinet. Also there were pennies in every window sill??
seanery
yeah, the medicine chest had the razor slot. I was just surprised how many there were in there. The previous owners lived here for 37 years, but the husband had died after 10 years or so, so that's a pretty good stack for such a short(ish) amount of time.

Something else I found when I was taking down the drop ceiling in the basement was WWII war posters. I was bummed that they were cut up to form shapes where the tiles wouldn't fit.
Bleyseng
Lots of dead rats, rat poop, used tampons, money, Playboys, old newspapers, sawdust insulation etc..

I posted a pic of several dead rats in a wall last year....yuck.

Geoff <_<
SteveL
I was helping put up new sheet rick in a fraternity ouse about 15 years ago. When we tore out the old stuff, and the lathe behind it, we found a built in contraband hiding box with some old liquor bottles from prohibition. beerchug.gif
URY914
I tore out a wall and found a 916

But it was rusted bad. So I put out on the curb and some guy in a pickup truck hauled it off. cool_shades.gif

Paul
brant
We just did a kitchen bath remodel in the last 6 months and had to move a wall... House is 1880.

found a bunch of goodies...
a letter from Kansas to once previous owners.
guy in the letter bought the first car in town and sold his drey business to buy a ford dealership (1st one around)

It was funny that he had this car but in the letter they were describing how he was trying to learn to drive it still and wouldn't take his wife along for a ride yet because he didn't feel he had the driving skills yet.

Also found an entire floor lined with newspapers and even comics from 1942. They were in excellent shape and we framed a few of them. Full of stories about the "japs" bombing, and about the discussion of drafting school children for the war. Very non PC, but interesting.
Also in the newspapers were some classified sections. Lots of really neat cars for sale and all of the dealers included a new set of tires with every purchase due to rationing of rubber...

Also in the classifieds are a bunch of houses for sale or for rent in our neighborhood.... apparently a going rental rate for a house without utilities was around $15/month.

brant
MattR
QUOTE(TimT @ Oct 13 2004, 04:45 AM)
...Mice skeletons, droppings...

Sounds like my engine when I tore it apart...

Theres nothing better then removing the shroud and having rat shit fall all over your lap...

My house is from 1910, but its been in the family for a long time so we dont have any wierd stuff.
dinomium
I found a simular pile of razors in my bathroom and newspapers from Dec 11th 1921. Anybody want a Franklin Coupe for the family?
Other houses I have found old baseball cards, bottles and lotz of dead and alive vermon... usally a day end for me if I find that stuff yuk!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.