Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just looked at LE in TN
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74GoKart
Went to check out a car advertised in the local Trader. It is VIN#4742915457.
74GoKart
next
74GoKart
next
74GoKart
next
74GoKart
next
74GoKart
next
74GoKart
next
74GoKart
next
74GoKart
next
74GoKart
next
Aaron Cox
on the first pic you posted. what is the weld on the left fender (right side of the picture). was the car hit?
74GoKart
The guy told me that it had been repaired on the front passenger's side corner. It has the rear window defroster. Has been changed over to Koni adjustables. Exterior and interior are both in nice condition. paint code is correct, and the # on the door matches the one in the trunk.
Aaron Cox
i was bass ackwards wacko.gif
74GoKart
He told me that a girl in a Cadillac backed into him about 20 minutes after he bought the car.
ChrisReale
Outside looks good, too bad about the rusty longs. All that stuff hanging down where the belly pan should be could be a potential disaster
anthony
Yeah, looks really nice except for the rust.
Aaron Cox
arg.....rust and door speakers! wacko.gif
Curvie Roadlover
What's all that crap on the tranny by the speedo cable?
anthony
So for those of us playing at home, how many miles on this car, how much is he asking?
Gint
There's a lot of rust hiding in those longs.
74GoKart
Milage unknown. Contact me offline if anyone is interested in the contact info.
Lawrence
Fixable.. but someone would really need to fall in love with it first.

Do you know the date of production, from the door jam sticker?

-Rusty
Jeroen
Err... Is it me, or does it look like they welded in a new VIN# (and didn't try to hide it either)

The rust on the bottom looks bad.
And because of that, the clean exteriour smells fishy to me...

And are those fuel lines dangling below the car??? Those are just a disaster waiting to happen...

Maybe it's the colors in the pic, but isn't the LE yellow a couple of shades darker?

cheers,

Jeroen
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(Jeroen @ May 11 2003, 09:34 AM)

Maybe it's the colors in the pic, but isn't the LE yellow a couple of shades darker?

cheers,

Jeroen

absolutely. The yellow almost looks like ravenna green! The 2 bags located in the front trunk look more like the proper yellow to me.
JeffBowlsby
This car seems to be an authentic LE, but it has several correctable problems.

Looks like the car was damaged at the rear too...

Note the pre-73 rear bumper, wavy rear valence, and bright tailpanel emblems.

The rear window defroster is a nice touch, it shows that not all LEs were absolutely identical. Remember the Creamsicle from a few weeks ago, it had tan interior.

Worth saving tho....I will add it to the 914 LE Registry...somebody get this car and fix it right!

96th LE found...! YAY!
Aaron Cox
how much is it worth.....is it worth more in parts, or worth the cost to restore it?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Jeroen @ May 11 2003, 09:34 AM)
Err... Is it me, or does it look like they welded in a new VIN# (and didn't try to hide it either)

thas what i was thinkin. the other two vin # plates are just pop rivited in place!
JeffBowlsby
This car is saveable. As a parts car its only worth what other 914 parts worth.

As a documented LE...the prices are rising...

Just watch the final results of the other LE on eBay right now. Even that car has issues and look what its going for. It needs a new windsheild, has carbs and an aftermarket muffler....not really a big deal but important to someone who cares about authenticity.
anthony
and bright tailpanel emblems.

Didn't black '74 2 liter cars come with '73 2 liter emblems? My uncle had a black one, I'll have to ask him.

I'd say it's a $3000 car that needs $3000 in rust repair. It's worth saving. It also has '75-76 seats and the dash is cracked. Most of us would let the seats slide but the dash to me is an eyesore on such a nice looking car.

I'd bet the original VIN was rewelded in place because the front fender was replaced.
Brad Roberts
Be VERY aware of any (and I mean ANY) LE's for sale in the state of TN.

I have several documented cases of black 74 cars mysteriously becoming Bumble bees and orginating from a shop in that state.

B
Aaron Cox

I have several documented cases of black 74 cars mysteriously becoming Bumble bees and orginating from a shop in that state.

oh my. time for a "bumble bee sting" operation. laugh.gif laugh.gif
i amuse myself!! where are they coming from, a shop called the "beehive"? laugh.gif
Curvie Roadlover
If a '74 car that was not originally a LE got the right paint scheme, mahle's, correct options, no sail vinyl, ...etc - all the things that make an LE an LE then wouldn't it be COMPLETELY undistinguishable from a true LE except for maybe a Cert. of Auth. from Porsche?
JeffBowlsby
If a '74 car that was not originally a LE got the right paint scheme, mahle's, correct options, no sail vinyl, ...etc - all the things that make an LE an LE then wouldn't it be COMPLETELY undistinguishable from a true LE except for maybe a Cert. of Auth. from Porsche?

Well....The COA would be a problem, becasue they need a proof of ownership...(which shows the cars identity-VIN) There is a known VIN range of LEs so the imposter would either have to get a VIN plate and chassis plate and rear drivers door jamb sticker and right front wheel well and rear trunk floor numbers all correct.

The authentic front spoilers, with the correct brackets, are pretty hard to find.

If someone could get everything just right, the only thing would be the COA. which of your VIN was within the right range, and your title reflected that number within the range...it could be done.

Lots of ifs.
Curvie Roadlover
Thanks for answering my question, Jeff. So, a car in the right VIN range, done correctly could only be found to be an imposter by its' COA. Don't worry, I'm not planning to try this. If I did though, you can bet it would be a grasshopper! (the Loch Ness Monster of 914's) happy11.gif
Brad Roberts
You nailed it Curvie..

I see a lot of factory black 74's with Mahles running around NorCal.. and a lot of them are in the range..

Its threads like this that I hope potential LE buyers take a peek at before purchasing (so they know what to look for)..

It make me puke when somebody gets "taken for ride" on a purchase.

B
Part Pricer
Don't put all of your faith in the COA as absolute proof of a car's provenance. They have quite extensive legacy of being incorrect (ask the 356 guys). A lot of the data that was used to generate the piece of paper was incomplete to start with.

A couple of years back, I was looking at possibly purchasing a Bumblebee. The owner showed me two COAs for the car. One said "Can Am" the other did not. The owner told me that he paid for a COA and when he received the first one it made no mention that the car was special. He called and complained. PCNA (they did the COAs at the time) said "No problem" and issued another one. The owner said that he told them that he wanted it to say "Can Am" and not "Limited Edition" and that's what he got.
Lawrence

This is not the first time I've heard about Limited Edition cars being "generated" in Tennessee.

A couple of years back, I was looking at possibly purchasing a Bumblebee. The owner showed me two COAs for the car. One said "Can Am" the other did not. The owner told me that he paid for a COA and when he received the first one it made no mention that the car was special. He called and complained. PCNA (they did the COAs at the time) said "No problem" and issued another one. The owner said that he told them that he wanted it to say "Can Am" and not "Limited Edition" and that's what he got.

I did exactly that, only in reverse. My Cardex said "Can Am" and I told them that I'd prefer it to be more specific and list "Limited Edition". They knew instantly what I was talking about, and was willing to change it. They promptly send me a new one.

Yes, I believe the records have a few gaps and errors, but I doubt they'd create an inaccurate COA just to satisify a customer.

-Rusty
tryan
i need to go get a rattle can of yellow mellow.gif

EDIT WARNING WARNING WARNING WILL ROBINSON. do i see a fram oil filter lurking under there?
rhodyguy
that was my thought too, how much? i would've said thanks for your time and walked away the minute i saw the pan rust. some first time, uninformed buyer will get this car for top dollar. then the new member will be posting here asking for help with reguards to rust repair. i'll bet the long is shot on the pass side too. did the guy inform you of the rust on the phone before you went to look at the car?

kevin
74GoKart
Yes, the car looked nice from the outside. I found a bit of rust near the pedal cluster, and once I looked below the passenger's door...game over. The car was previously owned by a Snap-On dealer, so that may explain all the repair work and new paint.
The chassis plate was from the 9th week, and the trunk stamp matched. The color code was correct, and the car did have the front and rear sways. Of course, there was no COA to say for sure.
I remember Brad mentioning the LE TN problem before. I am not for sure, but I think I know the answer to this riddle.
Anyhow, I had to go look at it after all the LE interest lately, and it was only a 30 minute drive. It was nice to see an "LE." Too bad it lives in the land of rust.
Brad Roberts
Its obviously not PK LB.

I had 3 fakes pass thru my hands while In Texas. After the second one I started back tracking the owners of the cars and found a common denominator (The same shop in TN) I had one lady owner in tears because she found out after paying top dollar for a Bumblebee. He was going around buying up all the Black 74 2.0's he could find and converting them. Wouldnt surprise me if he still does it. He makes them look really really good which clouds peoples judgement when buying a car. A pretty one with shiny paint gets almost no attention..but we nit pick anything with faded paint.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.