Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 14 inch rims
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I was wondering if anyone made any smaller diameter rims for our bolt pattern. It occurred to me that 14 inch rims with rubber band tires would lower the car significantly without upsetting suspension geometery.

Just doing some armchair engineering.
ChrisReale
Im sure you could get Revolution or Pana$port to cook a set up. Other than that, Im not sure....
McMark
Looks like they make a 14" x 7" wheel for $61 each. With custom backspacing.

Diamond Racing Wheels
wheelo
Mark D - your right, I ran a set of 14" Western Racing
wheels on my Cal-Bug. handled great and everyone dug the stance/look with the overall drop !

beerchug.gif
bob91403
4 lug or 5 lug? Width? Would the bolt spacing on these be the same? Too much offset? I'm sure you know that extremely low profile tires are very rough on the suspension.http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det...il.php?id=94121
Jeroen
14"-ers are available in 5lug
Did you check your tire choices...?
If you end up with a high profile tire it'll handle like crap
rick 918-S
Tires are the biggest problem. With everything moving twords large diameter wheels. manufactures are phasing out their old lines.
SirAndy
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Oct 12 2004, 11:44 PM)
Just doing some armchair engineering.

i had a set of 14" centerlines. i sold them to a bug guy ...

IPB Image

cool.gif Andy
boxstr
Sold mine to a bug guy also.
CCLINFUCHSFORTHEMAMMERIES
Rusty
I sold a set of 14 x 5.5 inch Fuchs to Brant in Colorado. Those size wheels are out there gathering dust, as lots of folks have been scarfing up larger wheels.
McMark
Oh yeah, I forgot about the fuchs. There's a set on my girlfriends car right now! lol2.gif

The "best" tire I could find was a 215/45/14, I think. But that's still a 4 inch sidewall. sad.gif
nebreitling
i don't know if it's legal or even possible, but 14" rims with low profile sticky rubber would be an enormous advantage at an AX.
SirAndy
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 13 2004, 10:43 AM)
i don't know if it's legal or even possible, but 14" rims with low profile sticky rubber would be an enormous advantage at an AX.

14s were an option from the factory (at least in the early years) so i don't see any reason why they shouldn't be legal in PCA.

as for the advantage in AX, i'm not so sure i buy into that. a lot of AX courses are 2nd gear, high rpm, with 14" wheels you would be on the revlimiter a lot or (even worse) had to shift into 3rd and run low-rpm ...

cool.gif Andy
brant
Don't know if the tire is still available...

but in the olden days it was a really hot set up to run the 14inch fuchs with a good year cantilevered slick...

The 14inch fuchs has the closest back spacing to being perfect (except the real 7inch R wheel) for a 914 of all of the porsche wheels made.

The cantilevered slick used to fit under stock fenders but was the equivalent of a 225 tire or more...

Dave Ferguson of 914 fame, ran this set up back when I first met him. He went to SCCA autox nationals at that time, and his wife took 2nd in nationals driving the same car....

but like I said, I don't know if that tire is still being made or not.....

Rusty: regarding your 14's they literally changed the local tire rule on me and I never put them onto the race track... but they are at this very minute mounted to my street car.....

brant
Root_Werks
What about the "gas burners"? <_<
brant
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 13 2004, 11:15 AM)
What about the "gas burners"? dry.gif

I think the 5 bolt gas burners are 15's

b
cha914
I have seen lotsa hopped up AX miatas running 13inch rims and WIDE tires that stick out 2inch from the fender wells...they do it for gearing also...I run 14's on my 90 BMW 325 (stock rims)...best tire I have found is the azenis but at 195/60/14 is not any better than a 205/50/15 as far as a gearing advantage.

Tony
ArtechnikA
couple of years ago i wanted to run 14" slicks on my GTI and the only ones available in the world were Avon's at about $300 each. i lobbied the RE and got the ok to run 15's ...
Brando
I gotta check to be sure...

but 14" 924 aluminum-magnesium rims...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brando @ Oct 13 2004, 05:02 PM)
but 14" 924 aluminum-magnesium rims...

BHC is different...

IIRC, they're an Audi 108mm hub...
Mueller
924 rims do not fit 914's....unless you have a 924S rims and a 5-lug setup on the 914 smile.gif

14" rims are legal in our region PCA, however:

Note: Cars running 14" wheels must run 60-series tires
davep
I have a set of ATS 5.5x14 4 bolt rims available.
nebreitling
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 13 2004, 05:08 PM)
Note: Cars running 14" wheels must run 60-series tires

well, that ruins the point blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.