Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS 914/6 engine *6404289*
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
vwsamba
Complete running genuine 1970 914/6 engine but was removed from car for freshen up and never finished, heads are off but everything is labeled in boxes inc webers. $5000
02loftsmoor
think your a bit high on a basket case

QUOTE(vwsamba @ May 26 2012, 06:22 PM) *

Complete running genuine 1970 914/6 engine but was removed from car for freshen up and never finished, heads are off but everything is labeled in boxes inc webers. $5000

carr914
Way High

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
Yea, that's a $2500 motor in the absolute best case scenario. Don't mean to bash your thread, but you'd be lucky to get $1500 from this group.
vwsamba
Ok i don't care what i get for it, any serious cash offer accepted, but $1500 ...really?? I would be better breaking it for parts or junking it then as the webers are nigh on $1000.
mepstein
QUOTE(vwsamba @ May 28 2012, 03:25 PM) *

Ok i don't care what i get for it, any serious cash offer accepted, but $1500 ...really?? I would be better breaking it for parts then as the webers are nigh on $1000.

That would probably be a good idea if you want the cash soon. Part it out on Pelican for good prices. You might have some left but you should be able to get 1,500-2K. You can get a complete running engine for $3-5K from guys who are swapping bigger engines for their smaller sixes.

* I think you have to decide if its running or it's in boxes.
02loftsmoor
$2500 would be about right, he's right I've seen junk go for a $1000
vwsamba
ok thx

case:$400
crank:$300
rods:$200
pistons:$300
heads:$500
webers:$1000
fan/alt:$200
flywheel:$100
clutch:$100

feel free to critique pricing as maybe some of it i should just weigh in for scrap?
02loftsmoor
That's one of those things that you'll make more parting out, I would love to have it but don't have the green sad.gif
IronHillRestorations
It should be worth more, but for the most part the early mag case engines aren't that desirable, and 6 cases even less so, unless you find a guy with a 6 that wants an engine case with a 6 serial number.

As long as you aren't buying pistons & cylinders it'll cost as much or more (if you add oil squirters) to rebuild a 914-6 as it would to rebuild a 3.0 in the same condition.

As far as your parts break down here's my best estimate:

case:$250
heads:$300
webers:$700-1000
fan/alt:$150
flywheel:$100-$150

Used 914-6 (or '69 911T) piston/cylinders aren't worth much, and the same with the rods and crank, unless they have been checked by a machine shop to be good and then it's still a hard sell. 911S parts are more likely to bring the prices you posted.

And 02loftsmore is right, you'll get more money parting it out, but it'll take much longer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to insult you or anything like that, it's just that you'll run off more potential buyers with unrealistic prices. If you don't believe me, just go to a decent Porsche swap meet and you'll get a better fix on prices.
vwsamba
Ok thanks for all the input, like i said before i don't really care about the money, I just thought with 6 cars at $40k the engine would be worth something. As it now seems pretty worthless and a lot of hassle to sell it i'll just leave it out for the scrap man.
carr914
I think the Case is worth more than Perry said, maybe $400, more to someone that is looking for 4289

Everything else Perry is on the money or generous

Used P&C, Rods & Crank are paperweights
carr914
QUOTE(vwsamba @ May 28 2012, 07:28 PM) *

Ok thanks for all the input, like i said before i don't really care about the money, I just thought with 6 cars at $40k the engine would be worth something. As it now seems pretty worthless and a lot of hassle to sell it i'll just leave it out for the scrap man.

Whoa, you went from $5,000 to leaving it out for the scrap man screwy.gif

Perry & I gave you real World pricing, why don't you put it up For Sale at a reasonable number & make a friend along the way?
02loftsmoor
please put it on the choping block

QUOTE(carr914 @ May 28 2012, 06:33 PM) *

QUOTE(vwsamba @ May 28 2012, 07:28 PM) *

Whoa, you went from $5,000 to leaving it out for the scrap man screwy.gif

Perry & I gave you real World pricing, why don't you put it up For Sale at a reasonable number & make a friend along the way?

pete000
Dang !

I need case 6404089

Just one digit off ! headbang.gif

Mr.242
I better get my COA and find out what motor # I am looking for, huh?
I would hate to know this could be my ## and not act on it.
aturboman
VWSAMBA sent you a PM.

QUOTE(vwsamba @ May 28 2012, 04:28 PM) *

vwsamba
Sorry aturboman its all gone. I mistakenly thought it was worth something as a whole and then got pretty despondent about the value v effort to sell it in bits as per the posts above so i just put it all out last night. Maybe it will show up again somewhere. All the best with the project.
carr914
I'm sorry, but if you put it out on the Curb for scrap, you are a Dumbass and you don't belong on a site with other car guys
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 29 2012, 07:17 PM) *

I'm sorry, but if you put it out on the Curb for scrap, you are a Dumbass and you don't belong on a site with other car guys

Hell I woulda gave him $50 for it just to say I had my own /6 engine, albeit in pieces. Would have been fun to learn on if nothing else. mad.gif
Cairo94507
No one, who is at all 914 aware, would leave it out for scrap. There is more to this story.....
914Bryan
Hmmmm. I seriously doubt he did it, but if he did, whatever. Sometimes parts/prices/reality are a tough connection to make.

I wonder how the cases looked propped up with the Webber carbs sitting on the curb?

IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 30 2012, 05:16 AM) *

No one, who is at all 914 aware, would leave it out for scrap. There is more to this story.....

So I'm reading: "If I can't sell it for 40% over fair market value, I'll just put it on the curb with the trash"

Much more to this story. I'll bet you can't get your local sanitation workers to put an engine in the garbage truck without breaking some kind of California law. popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
carr914
Same Seller was a Wierd Duck when it came to selling his -6 Conversion

Said the it was Painted Well, No Rust etc - nothing could be farther from the Truth

He said I was not worthy of the car! at the asking Price screwy.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=128175&hl=
Cairo94507
Well there you go; maybe he did kick it to the curb then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.