Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: six conversion oil tank lines – need help with routing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moparrob
I know I've seen some discussions on this earlier, about a year ago, but I forgot to save the information so I apologize in advance.

I got my Patrick tank about a year ago and the conversion fittings so I can run my -AN fittings and lines. I can't seem to find the diagram which explains where each of the two lower lines connects to. I know one will go to my external Mocal thermostat and the other will go back to the oil cooler, I just can't recall which one is which. I'm assuming the lower one goes back to the oil cooler.

Also, I remember some discussion about having to clock the lower fitting in a certain orientation so it fits in the fender well and you can get an oil line onto it. Does anyone recall the details on how to set that up?

Thanks again, much appreciated.
rfuerst911sc
I'm going on memory from when I did the lines for my 3.0 with the DW Design tank which I believe is the same tank you have. I used a -16AN straight fitting on the bottom of the tank, no clocking issue with a straight fitting. I did install the fitting and the hose/end while the tank was out because it is very tight in there but supposedly can be done with a crows foot. Then ran the -16 hose to the oil cooler. I measured and cut the hose under the car and installed the fitting then installed onto the oil cooler. You are correct the other fitting on the side of the tank runs to your thermostat. I also used a Mocal and that line I used -12AN.
I also installed a -16AN " Tee" in the line to the oil cooler, this allows very easy draining of the tank/hose. Hope this helps.
kconway
Patrick has a diagram on his website that might help.

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/img/cata...EM_LAYOUT_2.pdf

Kev
moparrob
Thanks for the info. Although both you and Patrick refer to an opening on the "other side" of the tank I'm not sure what you are referring to.

I have one opening on the thin side of the tank, closer to the bottom - and one opening on the face of the tank, just below the filter console. (Both are circled in red)

IPB Image

So if am I correct the lowest one (on the thin side of the tank) is the -16 return line to the oil cooler?

if so, the opening on the 'front' of the tank must go to the thermostat (-12), correct?

Or do I have it backwards?

Suddenly I feel dense...
Krieger
If the tank pictured above is plumbed the same as a factory 914/6 tank then the opening circled on the left goes back to the oil cooler side of the engine (really the oil pump). The red circle on the right would be correct to go to the thermostat if an additional cooler was installed.
To securely attach the oil line to the tank first install the tank in the car and then put the oil line on it. You will be able to hand tighten it. The problem is that you will probably not be able to tighten the line with a wrench. Mark the hoses orientation to the tank. Then remove the tank and oil line. Assemble and tighten them while they are both out of the car with your reference marks to locate their orientation. Then re-install your tank/line assembly into the fender.
rfuerst911sc
Yes the bottom fitting ( thin side ) is what I plumbed with -16AN. The flat side I used -12 to the Mocal thermostat.
moparrob
Thanks much guys!

Onward....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.