Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '75 basket case
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
deezleonion
i have a 75 1.8 basket case. all the parts are there to put it together, including engine parts i bought (p/c set, bearings,cam,etc.). i was looking for a bug and i bought this from a buddy who had it garaged for 12 years. i recently found a '63 bug for my father/son build. the porsche has very little rust (hell holes and battery tray need work), it also has great documentation (origional sales reciept,manuals).do i sell the whole basket case or part her out. i don't need to make a killing on this car(paid 1200 and spent 800 on parts). i need the funds for the bug. you guys know your 914 s**t. keeping in mind i'm in montana. thanks for the feedback
deezleonion
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(deezleonion @ May 26 2012, 09:56 PM) *

i have a 75 1.8 basket case. all the parts are there to put it together, including engine parts i bought (p/c set, bearings,cam,etc.). i was looking for a bug and i bought this from a buddy who had it garaged for 12 years. i recently found a '63 bug for my father/son build. the porsche has very little rust (hell holes and battery tray need work), it also has great documentation (origional sales reciept,manuals).do i sell the whole basket case or part her out. i don't need to make a killing on this car(paid 1200 and spent 800 on parts). i need the funds for the bug. you guys know your 914 s**t. keeping in mind i'm in montana. thanks for the feedback

deezleonion
Click to view attachment
billh1963
A couple of points....

1. Those manuals are worth good money

2. Post pictures of the whole care including front and rear trunks, the hell hole, the longs, etc. Those with better knowledge can tell you what you are looking at from a rust perspective

3. Does the engine still have the fuel injection? That helps the value.

4. I like old VW's as well. In the early 1990's I restored a 1974 "Sun Bug". It was a fun little....but nothing like a 914.
Cairo94507
The manuals are easy $500-$600.
914Bryan
Are you located just south of Kalispell on 93? Reason why I asked, is that I saw several 914's parked and being parted out just north of Sommers. If that's not you, might be a good resource for off loading your car. Just an idea.
deezleonion
"longs"?, the f.i. is in a box (complete as far as i can tell).pics coming of the lids, when it stops pissin rain. this was new from niello porsche out of sacramento,it spent some time in florida. it has some rust, nothing like the '63. i thought the '63 was better for a 14y.o. the porsche was going to be mine
deezleonion
sommers isn't far away, i will check it out
deezleonion
i've got some pm. parting out seems to be the route. months of selling parts, fuggin fantastic
billh1963
Don't part out if you don't want. Post a for sale ad in the classifieds on this site. You throw in those manuals and you will get your price....

The longs are the longitudinal structures that run the length of the car (they are behind the rocker panels). If they are solid the car is worth restoring. You have good wheels, the FI is desirable, etc. Restore it yourself or give someone else a shot.

deezleonion
no rust but the corners in the engine compartment(hell holes?) and the battery tray. the longs look great.thanks for the replys
deezleonion
i guess my want of more cash has won out over the sentiment for it, that and it already in so many pieces to begin with. hit me up in the want ads for her parts
jimkelly
people will want to see pics of the hell hole area near the battery tray and the same area on drivers side, the fire wall area beneath the tin from one side to the other, and the jack point area on both longs, as well as the rear trunk floor just next to the tail lamps, and more.

here are some pics from my car, as examples.
J-ROD
PM Sent
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.