Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trying to remove door fuzzy's....need ideas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mr.242
I cannot for the life of me remove these aluminum channels. The screws are rusted in. I will take suggestions now...

Thanks~
Mark
993inNC
Sounds like you have but one choice. Pop the head off the screw and drill the shaft of it out....
Mr.242
I'm trying....can't seem to get it done. I guess I will hit it again tomorrow. I need to buy a titanium drill bit to drill the screws. The cobalt bit I have isn't cutting it..(phun intended)

I'm even trying to get in and grind them off too.
Type 47
dup
Type 47
After drilling out the screw heads on one door I was determined not to have to do it on the other...

Spray the whole thing, fuzzies and track with Liquid Wrench, silcone may work also but the LW helps get the screws out.

work the fuzzies until you can slide them out (involved use of screw driver and hammer at times).

When you get everything out clean around the screws and LW again.

Use a proper fit screw driver (small). I also had to use some needle nose vise grips to get two of the screws started...the one I couldn't get to, I got lucky and it came out just with the screw driver.
OU8AVW
PB Blaster is the best for rusted in parts but drilling will probably be the end result. Lubricate the bit. I use high speed steel bits, they do pretty good.
Phoenix-MN
Use a dremel tool and a cutoff wheel to cut a new slot in the stripped head, then use a blade screwdriver and they come right out

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mr.242
I did the dremel tool and no luck mad.gif

I did get the passenger side off and changed....the driver I did the following:

So I ground the screw head off to level with aluminum channel and then replaced the fuzzy as the track stayed in the car. The screws were so rusted in place I know the channel isn't going to fall off.

So I changed the fuzzies, but did not get in new screws. Worked just fine for me.
PanelBilly
I picked up some great bits and they drilled right out
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.