Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear susp. question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
hi guys, back from my week long lurking experience....

any way. i got my 140 lb welt. springs and my bilstein adjustable perch shocks now. next weekend is install day.

*what perch setting should i use?
*do i need a spring compressor?
*what's all this about tie-wrapping the spring into the perch?
*top or bottom perch?

can you guys help me out?
n e 1 been there done that? huh.gif
ChrisReale
I didnt need a spring compressor for my 180's, I did for the 100's. Rent one at your local FLAPS if you need to. Zip tie the top hat to the spring, makes it stay in the hat when elevated. I did this, seems to work. I say to start in the middle and then adjust the perches as necessary. My Koni's have three slots to choose from, I am using the lowest. If I recall, Bilstein's have about eight slots to choose from, the lowest being really low. Does yours only have two slots?
Aaron Cox
my bilsteins have 6 notches with a clip that holds up the perch. o thought about using the 3rd or 4th from the bottom.

so i should get a spring compressor, yes?
*what makes the spring jump out of its perch when you lift the car off the ground?
*why wont the spring reseat itself?
ChrisReale
I guess give it a shot, and if you need a spring compressor, go rent one! I have no experience with 140# springs. I recall reading that you dont need one. The reason the spring comes out, is because of gravity. When you have the rear on jack stands, the trailing arm lowers, as does the shocks. Once the shocks are at a maximim length, the spring just comes down with the lower seat, because the length of the extended shock is longer than the spring. Sometimes they do re-seat themselves, sometimes they dont.... I say start with the middle spring perch slot.
Aaron Cox
thanks a bunch.
anyone else have the same springs?
and or experience?
driver66
ive got to change my original shocks and springs on my 72...the boges are wore out and my rear springs are so far gone everyone thinks its been lowered.{lots of negitive chamber} got to fix as fast as possible.looks and drives wierd.im setting it up for heavy spirited driveing ,but its a daily driver so got any good advice . im thinking 140 rears????? is these direct replacements for my originals??
Bleyseng
If your car has the stock springs use a spring compressor as they are long and will fly off of the shock when you take it apart!! The 140lbs springs are shorter and don't require the compressor but do install the zip ties to hold them on the perches. I did the lowers.
I would replace the rears with the 140's if you have old stock ones. If doesnt give you a harsh ride at all but does firm up the rear.
I think my set up with 180's and Bilsteins are set on the last notch for ride height.
Geoff
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(driver66 @ May 11 2003, 02:01 AM)
ive got to change my original shocks and springs on my 72...the boges are wore out and my rear springs are so far gone everyone thinks its been lowered.{lots of negitive chamber} got to fix as fast as possible.looks and drives wierd.im setting it up for heavy spirited driveing ,but its a daily driver so got any good advice . im thinking 140 rears????? is these direct replacements for my originals??

i have the same problem, neg. camber and right rear bottoms out. looks lowered.
Aaron Cox
I think my set up with 180's and Bilsteins are set on the last notch for ride height.
Geoff

from the top or botom?

why did you ziptie the springs to the bottom perch? as to the top?

and on an unrelated subject
anyone need old springs?
Aaron Cox
also, should i replace bushingS?
Brad Roberts
Zip tie to the top (you cant see if it went into the perch correctly) You will have to drill two holes in the top (black perch)

None of the 140's need a compressor.

You cant zip tie the top and bottom.. the bottom perch needs to "float" when you jack up the car.

Start 3 up from the bottom... I run the race cars 2 up from the bottom. If I recall correctly.. each notch is 1/2 an inch.

It takes me 5 minutes with a floorjack and needle nose pliars to change the clip (up or down) so.. dont be so concerned with where you start on the shock.
Aaron Cox
thanks brad.
anyone else have a tidbit to add? wink.gif
driver66
how old is ''old'' for your springs and what size are they do you have the shocks and what kind of shape they in ? i dont have a problem with good used. so,yes im interested. also would like to find other good used parts.....
Jeffs9146
Dont forget about the camber shims! I had one that had been hit on the left rear and when the PO repaired the trailing arm he put to many shims on that side. So, one tire had 0' Neg Camber and the other had 2' Neg!

Jeff

PS: I have lots of used suspension parts left over from my 5-lug conversion, if anyone needs any 4-lug stuff drop me a note!
Elliot_Cannon
I bought what I was told was a 160lb "progressive" spring form some folks in Temecula Ca. They don't come out of the perches and most definately need a spring compressor. I have seen someone hurt because they didn't think they needed a compressor. When that thing come loose it does so violently!!
Cheers, Elliot
Jeffs9146
Depends on the perch settings!

Jeff
Dave Cawdrey
I took stock springs off of Koni Reds w/out a compressor. I put a towel over the top perch, and loosened the nut....
POP!! blink.gif
Brad Roberts
Correct. I knew he was going to "off" the old pare...

And He bought NEW springs... so he knows exactly what he has.

The only shocks with an issue (and need a compressor) are the stock style Boge/KYB's and Mullholand shocks. Any of the shocks with a fixed spring perch will need a spring compressor to remove the old springs. (I still do it by hand and aim them away from me)

The method used for years and years.... put the spare tire down over the top of the shock and push down while turning the wrench for the top nut.

You have to be some kind of WIMP not to be able to push down a stock worn out 70lb spring.... 2 inches with a 30lb spare tire wieght....

B
KenH
Put a bubble level on the door sill and set the rear height to match the front height or just an bit higher.

Ken
Dave_Darling
A private party can say things like, "As long as you point the spring at a concrete wall with no breakables in front of it, you probably don't need the spring compressor to remove the old stock springs."

A representative of a parts company--a business that theoretically has "deep pockets"--cannot expose the business to the potential liability. So a business representative will always say, "Use spring compressors in all cases. Don't sue us if you shoot the retatining nut through your skull."

So, kiddies, make sure that you always use spring compressors to remove stock or unknown springs.

[Note that most (but not all) of the aftermarket "lowering" springs do not have enough free length to press against the spring perches when the shock is at full droop. In that case, no spring compressors are needed at all. And that case will be quite obvious, because there will be a gap between the spring and one perch or the other.]

--DD
TMorr
Another way to avoid needing a spring compressor to remove your old springs;
Not endorsed by me, but I have done this without injury numerous times (BMW 2002 fronts)

With the car on stands and wheels off, put the floor jack under the hub of one wheel, gently jack until the weight of the car is about to come off the stand most local to the hub you are under.

That spring is now pretty much fully compressed, using stout twine, or tie wire, make numerous laps end to end around the wire coils (closest to the perches). Lash the ties so they dont slip on the wire helix. Do opposite sides of the spring, so it is retained in a balanced fashion.

Now when you lower the hub, the spring is "prevented" from opening by the lashing. At most you will have about 600lbs stored in the spring, so the twine or wire is not very heavily taxed. The less you compress in the initial lift of the less energy stored in the spring.

You will be able to remove the spring without a compresser. Best of all, especially on the BMW, you can put them back on without a compresser (after you change the damper insert). If you dont want to store the springs with the energy trapped by the string or wire, take DD's advice and point them at a wall, or under a blanket or something.

Remember to count your fingers at the end of every stage of the project.

Hayden PTBT
Aaron Cox
thanks.....they are original boge's w/ original porsche springs kinda saggy
Brad Roberts
Dave,

if you where actually on Pelicans payroll/401K you could be held accountable. Otherwise.. you rank right up there with Rusty/Andy/Jeroen/Me/Olav.

Automotion sold springs for over 20 years with the instructions including my "spare tire use" They didnt seem to have a problem.

B
Jeroen
Since you have new shocks and new springs, it would be pretty easy to check if you need a springcompressor or not
(my guess is that you are not gonna bother taking the old spring off the old shock)

If you do need one, I suggest you go rent or buy it!

Some of the tricks here can be good, but they come from people who are either a wrench by profession, or just have done this a gazilion times before...

To a lot of people here, stuff like this is new and have never done it before (that includes me). So with tools in hand we are a danger to ourselves and society biggrin.gif

Be smart, play it safe!

cheers,

Jeroen
Bleyseng
RENT ONE! Go to your Flaps or a rental shop to get it and play it safe.

I have removed several sets without and some with and its way safer to use the spring compressor. Although, its kinda funny to see that new hole in the wall over there...
Geoff
Aaron Cox
thanks a bunch guys!

hope i can get it all done in a day! biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
the deed has been done! only took about an hour and a half. oh- the ride is so much better! a little tailhappy tho! (2.0 w.o swaybars) the 140 lb'rs are about twice as stiff as my saggy ones....great ride. now....anyone want to donate to my front suspension fund?? biggrin.gif
ChrisReale
QUOTE(acox914 @ May 18 2003, 12:20 PM)
the deed has been done! only took about an hour and a half. oh- the ride is so much better! a little tailhappy tho! (2.0 w.o swaybars) the 140 lb'rs are about twice as stiff as my saggy ones....great ride. now....anyone want to donate to my front suspension fund?? biggrin.gif

Tought shit! You started down the path and ther is no looking back! Get a 19mm sway bar, and maybe 20mm torsion bars. While you are at it, new ball joints, susp. bushings, turbo tie rods.......You are SOL! tongue.gif
Bleyseng
Got a 19mm front bar for you to buy. Cheap
Geoff
Aaron Cox
how cheap is cheap? i have acces to a parts car that has front and rear stock ones. i am interested- is it a weltmeister?
Bleyseng
$50, its a old school one without adjustable drop links. I have seen a few in my day but I don't know who made them. I will take a picture of it.
Geoff
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(driver66 @ May 11 2003, 07:02 PM)
how old is ''old'' for your springs and what size are they do you have the shocks and what kind of shape they in ? i dont have a problem with good used. so,yes im interested. also would like to find other good used parts.....

uh..the original springs and sjocks (boges and 90 lbers) the shocks are totally wasted, can move them up and down buy hand! the springs are 30 years old. if you want em theyre yours +s/h biggrin.gif still intersted? otherwise they go to the trashcan or into a super custom sofa! laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.