Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: triad muffler - curious about performance ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
triad's look awesome - no doubt.

but what about air flow/performance.

some say a 2.0 sshe set is far better than a 1.7/1.8 sshe set because of the smoother air flow.

this muffler seems to be the worst of mufflers in terms of air flow ???

that said - i can't see any exhaust system on a stock 80+- HP engine being able to sway the HP numbers by more than 3-5% in either direction ???
MikeM
No noticeable performance gain when I installed mine, but definately a noise level increase. Too loud...sold it and went back to stock and LOVE it.
74 2.0 liter.
reharvey
I have one on my 73 2056 and it sounds great. Don't really know if it increased performance. Ray -- Should also say that the Triad is very well built and should last the life of the car!
seanery
I put one on whitey, I didn't notice much if any difference, but it sounds good. I think if you search here, you'll find a video or audio clip of mine when I first got it.

HAHA, search is a wonderful thing, here is the Audio Clip of Triad Muffler On 2.0
914Bryan
QUOTE(jimkelly @ May 27 2012, 04:18 AM) *

triad's look awesome - no doubt.

but what about air flow/performance.

some say a 2.0 sshe set is far better than a 1.7/1.8 sshe set because of the smoother air flow.

this muffler seems to be the worst of mufflers in terms of air flow ???

that said - i can't see any exhaust system on a stock 80+- HP engine being able to sway the HP numbers by more than 3-5% in either direction ???

I agree. Really a couple hp in either direction isn't a big deal to me. But, the deep sound that the Triad makes is worth a sacrifice, if there is one. The exhaust note sounds like a big four and to me, is not much louder than my previous muffler set up. This is a quality made component.

I believe that most run this muffler for the sound quality and appearance. If someone is extracting maximum power, they run a Tangerine.
ww914
Click to view attachment

This is my Jet-Hot coated Triad. It sounds really hearty on the 2270. Don't know if it made a HP increase as it was never on the stock motor.
URY914
I had one on my carb'd 2.0 and it sounded great.
JStroud
Glad to hear all this, my new Triad is due to be shipped Tuesday piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

I didn't order mine with a HP increase expectation, I like the way they look, sound, and the quality of the product. I'm expecting my HP increase to come from all the money I put into my new motor, the Triad is just to make it sound better and look purdy. beerchug.gif

Jeff
LotusJoe
I can't really attest to additional horsepower either. But the sound and quality is well worth it. If it sounds cool....then logically it must go faster.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
PlaysWithCars
I've had mine for more than 10 years now and still love it. (Well, I guess "loved" it is technically correct since I sold the car last week). I'm convinced I picked up mid-range torque when I put it on but don't have dyno sheets to back up the claim, just a series of autocross championships. I loved the deeper throatier sound and the fact that is didn't droan at cruise speeds like other aftermarket systems I've experienced.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.