Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring up a stereo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Bryan
On a 74, what fuse would you run your hot lead from to power a stereo? Or would it be better to set up a dedicated, fused/switched lead directly from the battery?

My worry is when I add my stereo and an amp, I will be overtaxing the old system. Ideas?
Mike Bellis
The radio can be tapped off the fuse panel. The Amp will need a dedicated power wire from the battery.
914Bryan
Which fuse/circuit would you go off of?
Mike Bellis
You have main 3 choices:
1) Connect to constant power. (recommended) Find a fuse (11 or 12) with an extra terminal. Connect an inline fuse there and run to both red and yellow wires of new radio. Just remember to turn off the radio when you park.
2) Rig a toggle switch and do as above but put the toggle between the inline fuse and the new radio wires. This will allow you to turn off all power. Place the switch only on the red wire from the new radio to keep the clock and preset memory of the new radio.
3) Connect to switched ignition power. NOT RECOMMENDED. The radio will turn on and off with the key however you risk burning the poiints. There is no accessory position to the ignition switch. If you have carbs, the fuel pump will run.
jsayre914
I ran a line from the batteries directly to the HU and put a couple fuses down the line. I also wired both the switched and constant to a constant because my car is with electronic ignition and i am scared as hell to leave the key in the on position. I listen to music a lot with the car off. Amps need to run direct to the battery.

p.s. check out THIS THREAD for my build first.gif

aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.