Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drivers side mirror stuck, can't adjust.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
So my drivers side mirror will not move. I can push on it so hard that I think I am going to rip it off my door and still it won't budge. I took it off and thought if I losen the nut on the bottom just a little that I would them be able to get it to move, NOPE. So I have taken the mirror apart.

Click to view attachment

I can see tha tthe shaft coming out of the mirror doesn't move.

Click to view attachment

But should this part inside the base rotate when you push the mirror in or out?

Click to view attachment

What am I missing here? I have a spare mirror that is also "stuck" is there a way to free them up so they can be adjusted when mounted on the car? confused24.gif

davesprinkle
I had the same problem. These are made of zinc, which corrodes badly and binds it up. The female hex piece is an insert that should spin inside of the mount. You'll need to remove the insert from the base and then clean off the corrosion on the tapered faces. Use a LOT of grease when you put it back together.

BTW, there's a similar joint, for vertical adjustment, inside of the mirror itself. You'll need to remove the glass to get access to that one.
jcambo7
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ May 27 2012, 10:11 AM) *

I had the same problem. These are made of zinc, which corrodes badly and binds it up. The female hex piece is an insert that should spin inside of the mount. You'll need to remove the insert from the base and then clean off the corrosion on the tapered faces. Use a LOT of grease when you put it back together.

BTW, there's a similar joint, for vertical adjustment, inside of the mirror itself. You'll need to remove the glass to get access to that one.

agree.gif What he said. Beat me to it.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ May 27 2012, 07:11 AM) *

Thanks, that is what I thought. That will be tomorrows project, for now I'm going to put it back on and driving.gif the hell out of my 914 today. aktion035.gif
Mr.242
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 27 2012, 08:01 AM) *

"Warning: Objects such as this mirror may appear larger if looked at in this manner."

av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.