Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jumping rope with you kids
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Tried to jump rope with my 9 year old daughter Monday night. Bad, Bad idea.

Here's proof. 3rd and 4th metatarsal.
mike_the_man
I'm not really sure what I should be looking at, but I bet it's painful. What exactly happened?
seanery
your doctor builds model ships?
Rusty
QUOTE(mike_the_man @ Oct 13 2004, 10:47 AM)
I'm not really sure what I should be looking at, but I bet it's painful. What exactly happened?

I think you're looking at two broken bones. OUCH! ohmy.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
bob91403
Fiberglass foot cast? How'd you manage to break your foot? Drink more milk.
Allan
Yep, 2 of them. One of them is broken into about 6 pieces. The boat is in my office. Just had to use the window for lighting. My daughter was out in the driveway jumping rope and me being the 18 year old flexible guy that I am NOT, decided that I could do it too. Barefoot on cement. Boy was I wrong headbang.gif
Root_Werks
Ouch, sorry man. Rest up and drink some moo I guess? sad.gif

Looks like the clutch foot too. I would be going through 914 driving withdrawls. laugh.gif
mudfoot76
That's nothing! biggrin.gif Check out my left ankle---
Allan
That actually makes me feel a little better. That must of hurt like hell.
seanery
nice...airport security must be fun! ohmy.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(mudfoot76 @ Oct 13 2004, 09:09 AM)
That's nothing!  :D  Check out my left ankle---

ill dig up pics of my knee, with a plastic knee cap

and i got titanium in my face (jaw surg)
SirAndy
QUOTE(Headrage @ Oct 13 2004, 08:43 AM)
Here's proof. 3rd and 4th metatarsal.

all i see is a sailboat!

confused24.gif Andy
bob91403
Skiing Geoff?
iamchappy
Nice sheet rock screws.
I was out skate boarding with my son and his freind yesterday. I have some history in boarding so they were out showing me new tricks. I will remember those pictures next time they ask me to try doing an Ollie.
Allan
Here Andy, I removed the boat from my foot.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Oct 13 2004, 09:16 AM)
Nice sheet rock screws.
I was out skate boarding with my son and his freind yesterday. I have some history in boarding so they were out showing me new tricks. I will remember those pictures next time they ask me to try doing an Ollie.

heheh... i ate Sh** doing a hang ten nose manual down my street on one of my longboards w00t.gif spank.gif
maf914
Sorry about the foot, Allen. I fell off a skateboard that belonged to a friend's son and thought I had broken my elbow. It reminded me that I wasn't as young and agile as I once was. sad.gif

Geoff, Those screws remind me of my girlfriends heel bone which she fractured about four years ago. They put several screws in it to pull the chunks back together. The x-rays showed them at various angles making you wonder why they couldn't put them in straight! laugh.gif

While we were consulting the surgeon he advised her to begin taking a heavy dose calcium supplement and commented to me that it wouldn't hurt if I did too. Three years later I pass a massive kidney stone which lodges in the duct from the kidney to bladder and has to be removed by a scope starting at the urethrea. Oh, yeah, lots of fun. I ask my docter if there was any connection with the calcium supplement and he said maybe... <_< I checked out clean in my follow-up x-ray recently. Now to track down that surgeon...
bob91403
He should have told you that you have to drink a gallon of water to go with those calcium suppliments. That's the only way your body can get rid of the excess stuff that causes stones. I had a friend who had stones. They broke them up with an ultrasound pulse cannon. They passed without all that intrusive stuff.
maf914
QUOTE(bob91403 @ Oct 13 2004, 09:16 AM)
I had a friend who had stones. They broke them up with an ultrasound pulse cannon. They passed without all that intrusive stuff.

The position of my stone prevented them from using the ultra sound. They did have to break it up using the scope and remove it in pieces. That thing was big. I don't know how many scope extraction trips it took, but the next day it felt like they had done 500 laps! Then they left this thing called a stint behind with a long string attached to make sure scar tissue didn't close up anything. That had to be removed about 10 days later. Uh, Doc, whats this string for? icon8.gif
bob91403
OUCH!!! Did they start testing for oxalate and uric acid levels as well? Might have been the calcium suppliments, but I'm sure you want to cover all the bases rather than having it occur again. Drink 8 glasses of water a day religiously. Even more if you drink alcohol. Dehydration is the major cause.
spare time toys
A good friend at work rents out jump houses. We got one for our little girls B.day I think I had more fun in it than the kids. smile.gif
Downunderman
Don't mention jumping castles. I hurt my back in one them on xmas eve 02. My youngest daughter wanted one for her last day as a child. She was 18 the next day. It was great fun but not when you are over 50.
mudfoot76
One might think that I was skiing -- and I certainly have plenty of stories from Colorado (Keystone, Vail, and my fav -- Arapahoe Basin) where I should have broken more than just my leg. When would first tell my friends that I broke my ankle, they all asked 'where were you skiing at the time?'.

But no, I slipped on an icy sidewalk at work a couple of winters ago. Totally unglamorous. So my friends came up with a story I could tell at bars involving a holiday of ski jumping in Finland. Suomi! (A far second to Belgium when going abroad...)

Yes, all that hardware would set off metal detectors. I had a couple of long waits at security checkpoints while the clueless F***wits with the metal detectors tried to figure out what my 'orthopaedic implant' card from my surgeon meant. ar15.gif The couldn't just call and verify, no I had to wait there for a bleedin' hour whilel they waved a wand over my leg, trying to figure out if I had a bomb surgically implanted under my skin.
bob91403
You need to carry a print of that x-ray along with the card. They might just go "OWW!!!" and let you through.
mudfoot76
QUOTE(bob91403 @ Oct 13 2004, 03:56 PM)
You need to carry a print of that x-ray along with the card. They might just go "OWW!!!" and let you through.

Funny you mention this because I had wallet size xray photos of the injury! Good thing I wasn't carrying a Cluebat ™ with me smash.gif smash.gif

One time, in Denver not too long after the accident, I was still on crutches. Since it was winter, I was wearing long pants, which were a major PITA to get over the gigantic moon-boot immobilization brace I had to wear. TSA morons took my crutches away, made me stand on my good leg while wanding the broken one. Still not convinced/satisfied, they had me remove the brace, and then one of them started poking at the surgical scar! They finally let me sit down in a chair while they awaited a ruling from some authority person on letting me through, before letting me put myself back together....I sure didn't feel like I had any power to do anything but submit to their whims. I just wanted to get home headbang.gif
djm914-6
I could show y'all my latest stitches from last weeks procedure... but it'd make Mike Z's harry butt pic look tame. Lets just say that I feel sorry for all of the dogs I've had fixed in the past... real sorry. barf.gif headbang.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(Headrage @ Oct 13 2004, 08:01 AM)
One of them is broken into about 6 pieces.  My daughter was out in the driveway jumping rope and me being the 18 year old flexible guy that I am NOT, decided that I could do it too.  Barefoot on cement.  Boy was I wrong headbang.gif

Ever heard of
1) stretching?
2) athletic shoes?

Jumping rope is supposed to be good excercise for people of all ages (wearing shoes, apparently).

Good luck with the healing sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.