Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jumping in again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Reiche
Greetings all. First post. My story:
I first fell for 914s almost 20 years ago. My best friend bought one and appointed me to be his mechanic after the local VW shop screwed things up one time too many and the local Porsche shop gave him the NARP cold shoulder. I worked at both a Porsche resto shop and a German auto repair shop for a while. At both places I was considered the 914 guy, but only because no one else wanted to be. While at the resto shop my brother and I bought a '75 that had sat under a tree for a few years. The pans were a bit rusty but it had solid longs and was only $600. We were going to restore it, then I got laid off so the bosses' nephew could have a summer job. After that I restricted myself to maintaining my best friend's 914, which I did until I moved. He still has it but I no longer live close enough to him to fix it. My brother picked up a running '71 (now parts) and a bunch of extra parts a few years later. They all currently rest at his house in O-side, CA. I am trying to motivate him to get the '75 done. If I can't I will have to do it myself. Soon....

Though I am technically not an owner, I have spent a lot of time working and thinking on Porsches and 914s. It has been a few years though so I can't say I will bring as much to the forum as I will take, but I will try. I will try to get both my friend and brother on here too. They need motivation.
Aaron Cox
first off, welcome! yarg
SirAndy
QUOTE(Reiche @ Oct 13 2004, 09:16 AM)
I will try to get both my friend and brother on here too. They need motivation.

smilie_pokal.gif welcome, you have come to the right place ...

biggrin.gif Andy
Steve Thacker
Welcome aboard!

Our 914 club motto is,..If we can't fix it,...It's broke!
sawzall-smiley.gif
Allan
Welcome. Nice to meet ya.
Reiche
Thanks fellas. I feel right at home in the company of pirates pirate.gif and Germans smilie_flagge6.gif since I am a little of both.
Brando
Hi there old-time fan of 914s smile.gif

I thought the motto was ... if we can't fix it... it's time for a sawzall party?
balljoint
Ooooohhhhh I thought the motto was:

I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF FIXING THIS, AND THEN I DECIDED THAT WHILE I WAS IN THERE I SHOULD ALSO FIX THIS AND THAT AND THAT THING OVER THERE AND THESE 3 THINGS TOO AND NOW THE CAR HAS BEEN UP ON BLOCKS FOR 6 YEARS AND THANK GOD I FOUND A CLUB WITH 2000 OTHER PEOPLE WHO ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SAME DAMNED THING.

wacko.gif

Welcome.
Aaron Cox
914 club motto "while im in there....."
seanery
Dirk Wright for President! smilie_pokal.gif

Welcome to the club! beerchug.gif :finger2: beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
Motto:

"Well yeah it ran before I......"
scruz914
QUOTE(Reiche @ Oct 13 2004, 09:16 AM)
Though I am technically not an owner, I have spent a lot of time working and thinking on Porsches and 914s. It has been a few years though so I can't say I will bring as much to the forum as I will take, but I will try.

I have a feeling we will learn quite a bit from your experience.

Welcome to the club!

-Jeff
Bleyseng
Welcome!
Does that GH stand for Gig Harbor or for Grays Harbor??

Come to Dave Hunt's engine fire off party this saturday to meet all the local 914 nuts. See the thread for directions.

Geoff wacko.gif
DNHunt
Reiche

Welcome

If that's Gig or Grays Harbor come on over Saturday about 4. You can meet some of the local folks and watch me sweat bullets starting my new engine. Food and beer supplied. Girlfriends and wives welcome.

Here's a link to the party thread

Hope to see you there

Dave
Bleyseng
What time does the salsa band show up? biggrin.gif
Reiche
DNHunt, Bleyseng:
Yes it's Gig Harbor! Dave, thanks for the generous invite. I will be there. Firing up a new engine, fun! Looking forward to meeting you. I'll bring some salsa if you need some but I can't help with the band. I looked at the map and you are just a few miles away (I'm currently on Raft Island.) I think I have seen your car around town before. I have seen others too. One of the teachers at my son's school (Mrs. Fox?) has two I think: a silver and a bright green. I've seen them in the parking lot there.

Brando: I'm not old! (but I am older than acox914 if that's a recent photo) I consider myself young-middle-aged.

All those mottoes sound WAAAAAY too familiar.
dinomium
Gig Harbor?!?! RITE ON! Another teener-head on the correct side of the Narrows! Look forward to meeting you at DH's! Be sure to comb your hair, Geoff will be snapping pix, he is funny like that!
Bleyseng
Yep, don't show up in earthshoes, a greasy grey sweatshirt and funky shorts as Roger has dibs on that outfit.

Geoff wink.gif
DNHunt
Here is proper attire for a 914 function. Note 1) oil and grease stains as they always leak, 2)red tinted dust from the ever present rust, 3) a tool of some sort because there is always something to fix, 4) worn ratty clothes because all of the extra money goes into the car.

Also worth noting is the general appearance of fatigue because keeping these things going is a second full time job.

Dave
dinomium
Dave, you really should dress better at your Dentist office! hehehehehe
Bleyseng
I don't want to meet the guy who has a mouth big enough for that filling grinder!

Geoff biggrin.gif
DNHunt
No body seems to care how I dress at the office if I have that thing in my hand.

Dave
dinomium
man, that look on yer face IS PRICELESS! We should start a new thread with a write yer own caption contest!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.