So I have had my teener going on my third driving season it curently has a 1.7 engine with a bus cam and hydrolic lifters it peaks out at 4.5K and I am giving a generous guess of about 55-60HP max. I have always wanted some power more or atleast some more revs. Ever sense I purchaced the car I have been thinking of engine swaps suby, SBC ect and this winter I almost cut sawzall-smiley.gif the front trunk for a radiator but I just couldn't do it.

I have owned and driven a fair amount of sporty cars mostly of the "compact ricer" variety but had a 124 spider through grad school. Up until the 914 this was the most fun car I ever had. For some reason I like cars from the 70's that break down so I can work on them biggrin.gif

Even with my curent engine and 60hp the teener brings smiles to my face every time i take a corner and every time I open the front trunk to put groceries in and people look at me like im crazy. Realizing one of the best reasons i like the teener is because it is aircooled and unique I just couldn't put a radiator int the front and take up all of that nice usable space.

So I had a second 1.7 when I bought my car and have been gatering 2.0 and other parts for a 2056 build for a few years and now have gotten to critical mass from strategic buy's and trades pluss waiting for good deals. Im trying for a budget 2056 build as I have done a lot of the machine and balance work myself having access to that kind of equipment at work and friends with know how keeps the cost down. Im a CSOB so every penny counts but I dont want to cheap out on critical items. I am using this a a learning experience and am not afraid to screw it up to bad I always have the working 1.7 in there now so if I blow up the engine I can still drive after a weekend engine swap but Im trying not to blow it up I would like a nice reliable 100hp engine.

Specks
96mm KB pistons
2.0 crank and rods
1.7 case
1.7 rebuilt and flycut heads
Chrome moly push rods
Scat Cam and lifters
dual 40's for induction or MS I have both I haven't decided yet it will start life with the carb as I can tune them faster.
SSI Heat exhcanger

So I am aiming for 100hp if I get more Ill be happy. 120 would be double what I think I have now and I am sure it would feel amazing.

I am just waiting for camshaft bearings and the pushrods to finish the short block assembly.

So far what I have acomplished

1. Torn down the old motor
2. Clean everything
3. drill and tap for new gally plugs
4. mock up crank asembly and order shims
5. mock up pistons and heads and check clearance and head space.
6. balanced the pistons and pins within +-.1g
7. Balanced the rods +- .3g
8. Crank polished
9. had rotating assembly balanced

To do.
Everything else.
and Drive

First question and then some pictures
For the gally plugs I am using stainless hex 3/8npt does everyone use a sealant on the threads or just screw them in for interference fit with the threads? I dont want them leaking?

Wish me luck.