Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing black stuff from fender wells
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
There are several layers of black stuff flaking off in the fender wells. Whats the preffered way to takes this stuff off without ruining the paint ?
jmill
There's a thread on this with that beautiful "tan" Sahara biege car owned by smg914. I believe he used mineral spirits. Tried searching but didn't find it.

I know, I'm almost useless.
StratPlayer
So how are the fender well liners working out??
RON S.

Start with a heat gun. That'll soften he stuff up quick. You'll be able to peal a good bit of it off then. Then use the mineral spirits on the rest.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(RON S. @ May 27 2012, 02:13 PM) *

Start with a heat gun. That'll soften he stuff up quick. You'll be able to peal a good bit of it off then. Then use the mineral spirits on the rest.

Thanks ! That sounds good. smile.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ May 27 2012, 01:58 PM) *

So how are the fender well liners working out??

The fender well liners are really nice. The front liners keep crud from collectiong around the turn signal buckets and cavity aft of the wheel, plus protect the underside of the fender. The front liners fit really good. After I remove the black stuff from the fender well, I'll attach the liners with Velcro Dots. Right now they are tight without any addition hold downs. The picture shows the rears and fronts: notice the ends are cut to fit the bottom of the chassis. This makes the install clean looking

I'm going to try painting them later on.
r_towle
Where did you get those liners?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 27 2012, 07:00 PM) *

Where did you get those liners?

See: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=181319&hl=
StratPlayer
Jim you won't need any velcro dots, the liners will stay put.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ May 28 2012, 01:07 PM) *

Jim you won't need any velcro dots, the liners will stay put.

Even without the clips ? I hadn't tried using the clips; but I saw your picture of one clip riveted to the fender liner. Are all the clips attached the same way ?
StratPlayer
Yes all the clips are installed the same way, riveted to the liner front and rear.
jim_hoyland
The heat gun and mineral spirits worked great ! smile.gif Thanks for the tip.
RON S.

Now it looks purty......

Ron
pdlightning
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 29 2012, 03:09 PM) *

The heat gun and mineral spirits worked great ! smile.gif Thanks for the tip.

That looks really nice. How long did it take to get it that good?
tod914
Jim, how easy did the tar come off after heating it up? Much residue left? have a few areas I need to address on mine too. The mineral spirits took some time. Copper metalic, what a fantastic color!
jim_hoyland
I did the rear trailing arm area shown the pic in about 30 minutes. I used a metal putty knife and a heat gun. Heat and scrape an area, then more along the path of least resistance. Come back later to the stubborn areas. Most of the coating will fall away when heated and scraped, then wipe with mineral spitits. The flat areas are easiest; As you move into more curved areas, it takes more time. Probably the hardest will be around the turn signal buckets and uppermost portion of the well wells. After cleaning the wells, I'll be installing Mark's fender well liners.

Have a plastic scrapper or 2 for curved surfaces; but be carfull, the heat gun can melt the plastic scrapers if you heat the end directly.

I'm going to do the front wheel well today, will post a couple of pics later
jim_hoyland
The black stuff was hiding some suprises. Took an hour and and 1/2 to get the front done.

Gonna prime the surface and then respray the black stuff again. Any ideas besides black ? Can't do the car color, too $; but can spring for any Rustoleum color.

***The hubs are the billet ones Brad sold a few years ago. They are attached to SC vented rotors and the calipers are 911M.
jim_hoyland
Finished up today using the Rustoleum red rust desolver. Will probably spray the Bondo Rubberized stuff tomorrow.
jim_hoyland
Here's a couple shots of the front passenger wheel well. I painted the wheel-well liner black with plastic outdoor furniture paint. The wheel well is still in primer...
jim_hoyland
Got a question: I have these two products to choose from. Is one better than the other, or is there something even better ?

Also, the driver side wheel well is 10x harder to remove the black stuff, I only got a small amount off today. Seems like there was a softer coating on top of a harder coating. Had to stop.... sad.gif

Should I be using a wire wheel, flapper, or a stronger solvent. Been using mineral spirits and the heat gun. Tried MEK, did't help a bit
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.