Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: External oil cooler kits?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Haudiosolutions
My oil temps seem to climb to 250 on a really hot day when running around 70+mph for fifteen or twenty minutes. My head temps seem to stay settled just under or right at 350. Which why I'm checking around if anyone can recommend a place or person to check with for a kit. I've read the pelican artical on it but most of the parts listed have outdated part numbers etc. Any suggestions?
ConeDodger
patrick Motorsports but be advised, the price is a little eye-opening. On the plus side, it is complete and authentic GT like...
michael7810
I had the same problem and went with a cooler & electric fan on the right side of the tranny just under the trunk. Patrick's GT kit is nice if you want the cooler up front. I did buy my parts from Patrick but I live in Phoenix. My temp has not gone above 125 and that's when it's above 110 outside.
VaccaRabite
agree.gif
I have a very similar setup as Michael, but I got stuff from Aircooled.net. Zero hot oil issues since I did it. Thermocoupler opens up the fans when the oil hits 180. I have not seen oil temps above 220 since I did the install, and was seeing 250 before the install. You don't need to go to the front of the car to do this.

Zach
Haudiosolutions
Thanks for the replys. I am thinking of mounting the cooler under the rear trunk. Still shopping around and weighing options and will obviously need to relocate my oil filter since I assume clearance is an issue once the sandwitch adapter is installed. so many options and various pieces needed...
VaccaRabite
Not at all.
I am using a sandwich adapter and the filter is in the stock location. Using the EMPI sandwich adapter.

Zach
jmill
Just a dumb question. Did you pull your engine and make sure your cooling system is clean (leaves and gunk) and working (cables, flaps, thermo, etc.). If you have then carry on.
Haudiosolutions
To be honest, No. I have checked for obstructions and sprayed and cleaned as best I could without pulling the motor. I pulled the cooling tin away and cleaned the oil cooler and around although there were no obvious issues ex. debris, gunk etc. I cant explain why it wants to run warm but it just does and if I can prolong the life of the motor while not fearing driving long distances on hot days then I feel it's worth it. For all I know my sender unit is not calibrated correctly but I do know having an external oil cooler will only help my engine and the 2.0 I'll be building soon. So for an air cooled engine I look at it as cheap insurance and I'll smile when my oil temp doesnt break 210 on a hot day driving 300 miles getting sunburned. I've checked timing and multiple valve adjustments, etc. It just runs hot and I'm looking to fix that with this engine and prevent it with my next. Good looking out on the common topics though! beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
http://www.mainelycustombydesign.com/engin...s.html#dipstick

you have to get out of the car and look in your engine bay to use it, but you know what you oil temps are. I have one in my car, and found out my modern, graduated VDO oil temp gauge read about 5 degrees low. You leave it in all the time.

Zach
carr914
I once sucked in a Plastic Grocery Bag into & past the fan - it took me awhile to figure that one

For Cooler setup check out BAT in Sarasota, they are the Mocal Distributer & have a system for a 914
a914622
Just an FYI:

The volvo turbos have a thermal plate and a sweet oil cooler. I put that set up on the vw turbo diesel because of the same hight oil temps. (290-310f on a long mountain pass)

After install 200 max . I pass on this info because the wrecking yards usally have the hole set up for under $20.00 I think i had 10.00 in mine.

The earlier the set up the better. The pre intercooler cars used banjo fittings. the latter one used a hard line, but the threads are the same as the bmw auto tranny lines.

Jcl
brant
be very careful of used oil coolers

I personally think they are like used underwear
not something that a person should use.

would any of us take used motor oil from a junkyard and pour it into the engine?

once in a while one is going to be full of sh*t and it will trash your whole engine.
Elliot Cannon
I have a sandwich adapter with thermostat on mine. The oil filter fits fine. The filter in the picture is a Mobil 1 M1-109. A Bosch 3402 also fit fine.
VaccaRabite
agree.gif
Haudiosolutions
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 28 2012, 03:12 PM) *

I have a sandwich adapter with thermostat on mine. The oil filter fits fine. The filter in the picture is a Mobil 1 M1-109. A Bosch 3402 also fit fine.

Nice looking set up. Which sandwich adaptor is that just curious?
Elliot Cannon
Not sure what mine is. I just don't remember. Try this. http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Mocal-Thermos...ich-adapter.htm
rwilner
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 28 2012, 07:51 PM) *

Not sure what mine is. I just don't remember. Try this. http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Mocal-Thermos...ich-adapter.htm

this is the adapter I have and I use the Mahle filter with no clearance issues (OC28 maybe?)

It's been working great for 3 years.

Also -- I can also recommend the dipstick thermometer...a cheap way to get an accurate reading.
bdstone914
Advise about used oil coolers should be taken. Any used cooler can contain contamination trapped in the turbulater plates that can come out later and wipe out an engine.

I have several new plate and fin coolers that were proto types from when I worked at Hayden Automotive. They could not sell them because they did not have the logo on them.

They are just like the Setrab BAT, or Volvo coolers.

Also have sandwich adapters.

I prefer to mount them in the engine compartment where they get air flow from the engine fan. The affect on the inlet air temp is small. I dropped the oil temp on a 1.8L by 30 dregees and it never broke 210 on a 7% climb floored at 80 MPH

If you or others are interested PM me and we can talk price. Three sizes. All are 38mm thick, 11 inches long and up to 11 inched high.

Bruce
Mr.242
Sorry, I'm not a 4 cyl guy. But reflecting on the episode of Wheel Dealer on the 914 flip. Wasn't there a problem with the bellows that was disfunctional causing that car to overheat? It wasn't opening to allow air to be deflected over the engine. Maybe it is happening here.....

Just a random guy hacking away at problem solving...... I'll go back to browsing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.