Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blasting price question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
I'm looking at borrowing some money and buying a new blasting setup. This is a new technology that generates no heat, works EXTREMELY qyuick and is ready for immediate priming. What I am trying to figure out is what a normal sand or soda blast job runs to do the complete exterior. If you are willing to post up what it cost you plese do. I'm thinking if I can get 3-4 jobs lined up I might be able to pay for this ting immediately depending on it's cost.

If you do post, please let me know what type of media was used and on what type of car. I'd like some ideas of what different sized cars run. A friend of mine had his 50 Ford body only done in soda for 1800.00. According to this website their setup would do that car in 2-3 hours total smile.gif
MDG
That would be a fantastic way to start a resto/repair for someone doing what you do. Imagine having nothing but clean metal and any rust and prior damage exposed.

Sounds like a win win to me. You can see everything right off the bat and your customers will end up with an even more thorough and complete job.
mepstein
I got 2 quotes for soda; 1 -mobile setup to your house guy and one from large company that does trucks, construction vehicles and buildings. They both said $100/hour and estimated 12 hours for the whole car. Top, bottom, inside, the works. They switch to sand or other materials to get off rust and undercoating.
r_towle
Mobile soda, 356 tub, 500 bucks, two years ago
That was just the tub.

Local blaster os 1000 bucks for everything, doors, hoods etc
cary
Last year there was a stripped 911 tub at Rothsport in PDX.
I was told it cost $1200. It was done with walnut shells.
914itis
I was reading the thread here where the PO had my shell soda blasted for $1500.00. I know that it was epoxy primed right after but not sure that was included in the price . No matter how you look at it you will make your money back, will save you time as well. Great investment for your line of business.
OmaPossu
Prices from Europe, 914 body shell with out doors or lids. 13h blasting with soda and 1k€. And this was without VAT.
Series9
I had Nelson's car done by a mobile soda blaster one year ago.

He planned 4 hours. It took him 10. He hadn't stripped a VW or Porsche before and complained that it was too well done from the factory.

Next time he wants $1200.
gopack
I had my car soda blasted. they did the entire inside and outside of the car. I was not there, so i have no idea how long it took, but i was charged $1000. I know my car had at least 3 coats of paint, 2 over the factory red. he sand blasted some areas like the insides of the wheel wells.
balljoint
My car blows sand out of the fresh air vents every time I put the fan on high.
Mikey914
Had mine done locally for $350 with wallnut shells.. Took me 2 hours to get all the extra particles out. I dropped it off as a roller with all the hoses wrapped up, and all the areas I didn't want blasted ducktaped.
PRS914-6
Scotty, I had mine done for about $1200 inside and out including epoxy primer immediately after blasting. Done with fine proprietary minerals that are supposed to reduce warping.

There are those that complain about the never ending sand that continues to show up. It's a valid point but can be resolved by several hours of blowing, vacuuming and tapping with a piece of wood to dislodge as you clean. PIA for sure but I don't have any problems with sand showing up.
Click to view attachment
scotty b
QUOTE(balljoint @ May 28 2012, 06:13 AM) *

My car blows.

Please stay on subject Dave dry.gif
Dr Evil
Soda is the only way to go. Better than nuts and way better than sand. Low heat, no mess.

I have heard quote for a 914 in soda in this area for $2k.
OU8AVW
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 28 2012, 07:47 AM) *

QUOTE(balljoint @ May 28 2012, 06:13 AM) *

My car blows.

Please stay on subject Dave dry.gif

I'm glad you caught that biggrin.gif
And for the record, Evil prefers soda over nuts....
PRS914-6
Scotty, I am sure you have seen most blasting techniques. What do you prefer for surface preparation? My understanding was that soda, while cleaner leaves a pretty smooth finish and sand if too coarse leaves too rough a finish. I suspect a paint shop would price accordingly to the amount of preparation. I would be curious as to what you recommend.

The guy that did mine runs a stripping company and I watched him blast off the printing on a cigarette (no shit!) without tearing the paper. I don't remember the media he used for that but I was amazed. I know he uses minerals, sand, garnet, plastic and others depending on the needs.
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 28 2012, 10:14 AM) *

Soda is the only way to go. Better than nuts and way better than sand. Low heat, no mess.

Soda is total b.s. First off it won't do jack to rust or bondo, second, once the car is blasetd it needs to be washed and preferably sanded otherwise the primer will not stick to the car. This was first apparent in the airline industry when planes were being soda blasted and repainted and the paint started peeling off within a couple months.

Most primers ( definitely the one I use ) have an acid in them to etch into the base metal, soda does not etch into the metal mechanically, and is a base substance ergo the two do not mix. I do not and will not use soda, I have personally seen it fail twice and both times was done by a business that speicialized in it. The process I am looking at is the new solution to soda. As I said, it generates zero heat, uses glass as the media, and leaves the surface ready for immediate priming. This process also has no dust, leaves no residue, and can be done within 10 feet of another car and will not harm or sully it in any way. smile.gif Pending price this is THE best setup I have found
mepstein
I bet you could set up a 2nd business with this new blasting. Have them drive down or trailer, blast the car and drive home the same day. Hire someone at $20/hour and charge owner less than soda blasting.

Wonder how well it does on boats?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 28 2012, 03:21 PM) *

Soda is total b.s. First off it won't do jack to rust or bondo, second, once the car is blasetd it needs to be washed and preferably sanded otherwise the primer will not stick to the car. This was first apparent in the airline industry when planes were being soda blasted and repainted and the paint started peeling off within a couple months.

Most primers ( definitely the one I use ) have an acid in them to etch into the base metal, soda does not etch into the metal mechanically, and is a base substance ergo the two do not mix. I do not and will not use soda, I have personally seen it fail twice and both times was done by a business that speicialized in it. The process I am looking at is the new solution to soda. As I said, it generates zero heat, uses glass as the media, and leaves the surface ready for immediate priming. This process also has no dust, leaves no residue, and can be done within 10 feet of another car and will not harm or sully it in any way. smile.gif Pending price this is THE best setup I have found

Well that sounds pretty amazing smile.gif
MDG
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 28 2012, 03:21 PM) *

The process I am looking at is the new solution to soda. As I said, it generates zero heat, uses glass as the media, and leaves the surface ready for immediate priming. This process also has no dust, leaves no residue, and can be done within 10 feet of another car and will not harm or sully it in any way. smile.gif Pending price this is THE best setup I have found

smilie_pokal.gif Sounds perfect.

Eric_Shea
Love soda... confused24.gif

IPB Image

Neutralized with a vinegar spray bottle. Smelled like a Greek salad for a couple days.

$500.00

Amazing results:

IPB Image

IPB Image
Dr Evil
"Love soda"?

That just sounds gross.
Dr Evil
I see that the soda revealed a gorilla face under the paint and rust blink.gif
snakemain
So when can I bring my car by?
Eric_Shea
I see that the soda revealed a gorilla face under the paint and rust

We know you shouldn't weld. We're probably fairly certain you shouldn't be doctoring. We're more than certain you shouldn't be drunk posting.
MDG
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 29 2012, 02:27 AM) *

We know you shouldn't weld. We're probably fairly certain you shouldn't be doctoring. We're more than certain you shouldn't be drunk posting.

Agreed, Erc. Besides, that's obviously a Hippo NOT a Gorrila.
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 28 2012, 12:12 PM) *

I bet you could set up a 2nd business with this new blasting. Have them drive down or trailer, blast the car and drive home the same day. Hire someone at $20/hour and charge owner less than soda blasting.

Wonder how well it does on boats?

That's the idea smile.gif And it does vey well on boats, the company actually has video of it stripping a fiberglass boat, and aanother showing a pretty corroded steel boat trailer
Dr Evil
QUOTE(MDG @ May 29 2012, 07:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 29 2012, 02:27 AM) *

Agreed, Erc. Besides, that's obviously a Hippo NOT a Gorrila.

Bull shit! Look at the nostrils and lack of ears. It is most definitely a cartoon gorilla face.

And Erc, I was sober. I dont need alcohol to release my inner creativity.....just enhance it from time to time tongue.gif
effutuo101
800 including pick up and delivery for body and 4 doors. (2 doors for Jon B.)
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 28 2012, 02:21 PM) *

So the system is not soda. It uses glass and leaves no residue? The glass must go somewhere. The only other system I can think of uses dry ice and that I don't think works on rust. What is this system?
d914
soda about $1200

sand I have heard can be pretty cheap $500-750

Soda was our best alternative to date. yes a good acid wash was needed. The up side the soda did lend a hand in holding off flash rust as an issue. My car sat naked in the basement for a good time to no ill effect except were we handled it.
OU8AVW
Gorilla? Um, did you guys notice the "other" thing that showed up on Eric's car post soda blasting?

Click to view attachment
scotty b
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ May 29 2012, 12:35 PM) *

Gorilla? Um, did you guys notice the "other" thing that showed up on Eric's car post soda blasting?

Click to view attachment

That would explain Erc's personality issues dry.gif
Dr Evil
That dude hangs out outside of the 7-11 and asks for change. Weird seeing him there.
OU8AVW
I was referring to the Savior's image, not the penis shape at the bottom.....
Sicko....
Dr Evil
Penis????
MDG
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 29 2012, 04:42 PM) *

That would explain Erc's personality issues dry.gif

agree.gif Oh yeah . . . .

Click to view attachment
plas76targa
attempting to wrestle this back on track for Scotty... I saw this system this past weekend, was either an infomercial or another show on the speed channel. Uses glass beads and a waterbased solution. IIRC the 'water' includes anti rust chemicals to help prep the metal. Or something like that.
Cairo94507
I am kind of interested here as my car is at Scotty's and may be one of the first subjects since my car is going to be media blasted....just don't know what with now.

BTW, all of the cars I have heard of getting media blasted, go from $750 to $1,200 complete and some included primer afterwards. THat included muscle cars and P-cars.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(plas76targa @ May 30 2012, 07:38 AM) *

attempting to wrestle this back on track for Scotty... I saw this system this past weekend, was either an infomercial or another show on the speed channel. Uses glass beads and a waterbased solution. IIRC the 'water' includes anti rust chemicals to help prep the metal. Or something like that.

Interesting popcorn[1].gif

I saw a system that uses sponges. It has the abrasive imbedded. The sponges absorbs the dust after impact.
scotty b
QUOTE(plas76targa @ May 30 2012, 04:38 AM) *

Yep that's the one. There is an acidic additive that prevents flash rust for up to 72 hours. smile.gif I've talked to a couiple friends around here that have shops and they seem to be really interested in sending me some work if I get this, so It's looking like it may happen. Just waiting to hear back from the company that makes the setup as to the price unsure.gif
balljoint
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 30 2012, 02:08 PM) *

QUOTE(plas76targa @ May 30 2012, 04:38 AM) *

Yep that's the one. There is an acidic additive that prevents flash rust for up to 72 hours. smile.gif I've talked to a couiple friends around here that have shops and they seem to be really interested in sending me some work if I get this, so It's looking like it may happen. Just waiting to hear back from the company that makes the setup as to the price unsure.gif

Was this something you learned aboot at the Detroit show?
MDG
QUOTE(balljoint @ May 30 2012, 03:43 PM) *

Stop pretending you're interested, Dave. dry.gif
Katmanken
Scotty,

Does the acidic material make yer car smell like a greek salad?

Just askin...

You know....
balljoint
QUOTE(MDG @ May 30 2012, 04:34 PM) *

confused24.gif What'd I do?
VaccaRabite
Let me know when you get this set up. I may bring you the truck. I am looking to have it blasted. In no particular rush, just know I don't want to grind the thing my self.

Zach
r_towle
QUOTE(balljoint @ May 30 2012, 09:13 PM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ May 30 2012, 04:34 PM) *

confused24.gif What'd I do?

Posted outside of the sandbox.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.