Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator not charging
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
My engine is current out of service due to a separate issue however before then, the alternator wasn't charging the battery. The battery is a new Optima yellow. One problem that I found is that the relay that plugs into the arrowed spot in the picture was found to be bad. I found that one of the pins was broken off. In the haynes manual it marked that spot on the relay board as being the power supply relay (for fuel injection). My engine is carbed. Is it possible that not having a relay or having a bad relay in the marked location on the relay board could make the alternator not charge.

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
are you using the stock supply wiring for the pump? if not, where are you pulling the power from for the pump?

on the 73' (carbs), i use the stock supply wires w/bullet connectors to adapt the cb pump wiring that came with the pump. then andy's jumper wire trick where you connect a terminal on the relay board to the brown wire grounding stud forward of the relay panel. a good relay and fuse in the appropriate locations, turn the key to the first position and you should hear the pump run. clacking with the facet style and a quiet whir with a carter/cb. if you hear a gurgling noise from the from the tank area the pump is running backwards and the bullet connectors need to be switched.

k

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.