Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine lid latch & release
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VegasRacer
The engine lid latch on Elvira was relocated a few inches to the right of the stock location. (the big engine was in the way). The PO modified a stock cable but it is FUBAR. What has anybody else done for engine lid latches other than stock? I am thinking of adding something like hood pins. Ideas? Suggestions?
fiid
In the same vein - I would like to see pics of this on tube frame cars where the peice that the latch is located on has been removed.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Aaron Cox
cambellcj has hoodpins on his enginelid
brant
I did away with the stock latches, hinges, springs and all on my race car....

Oh course I don't have my new digital camera yet...
but soon....

so here is a verbal description of what I did:

I didn't want the weight of 4 hood pins
the rear rubber bump stops make a good point to mount the rear pins, so I needed to come up with something for my fronts....

I welded a very light weight bracket onto my engine lid.
through this bracket I bolted on an aluminum pin pointing to the front of the car (parallel with the ground)
At the top of the engine firewall (just below the window) is a double layered section of firewall. I drilled a hole into this boxed channel on the motor side. I then found the appropriate rubber/hard plastic gromet to fit this hole.l...

So... My engine lid has 2 forward pointing (aluminum) pins that poke into the 2 holes as forward mounts. Then you lower the back section of the lid down onto the (aluminum) hood pins mounted in the bump stop locations.......

This was the lightest solution I could think of.
(I even drilled 4-5 holes into each of the braces that hold the original bump stop mounts)

brant
groot
I did something similar to Brant.

But, I used two small lift off hinges that I rivetted to the lid and the body. So, my lid is removable, too.
groot
Pic of hinge... avaliable from McMaster Carr.
brant
cool idea thanks for the pic..
so lift off or not lift off.... I like that you could just tilt it for an oil check or quick look.

I only made mine lift off, and may regrett it if I bang it up a bunch from all the constant removal.

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.