Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to install porsche grill letters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davidcalvin
I just got brand new chrome Porsche grill letters for my car. Still waiting for the back pieces so that I can install them. Are there any directions or articles on how to do this properly?

Is it easy to separate the grill from the water catcher thing.. ?

Is there any kind of map for the proper orientation of the letters?

Thanks,

David
Part Pricer
The rain tray removes easily with a phillips-head screwdriver.

The letters should be oriented so that you can read the word "PORSCHE" while standing at the rear of the car laugh.gif
davidcalvin
I had heard that there was map showing relative offsets and spacing...

So I guess I have to wing nut it?

David
Part Pricer
Sorry. That was a smart-ass answer on my part.

I've never seen or heard of any type of template for spacing the letters. I remember when I put my new ones on, I was pretty anal about having them aligned straight and also spaced evenly. I'll see if I can get a picture later.

I used nylon nuts on my letters. The nylon on the threads compresses and holds on tight. Easy to put on and take off with a nut driver.
davidcalvin
Nut driver? Sounds painful.

I ordered the parts from pelican that are (they say) designated for holding the letters to the grill. I hope they will be satisfactory.

Will I need a.. nut driver? I'll be a little embarrassed to ask for one of those at OSH. I guess I could call my ex... oh, but she was actually a ballbuster, not a nut driver. Fine line, I guess.

Thanks,

David
Part Pricer
The clips that you'll get from Pelican will work just fine. They're a pain to get off though, so I guess they work great holding the letters on.
SLITS
They are speed nuts with rubber - coulda used those in my early days - uhhhh - push on, but kinda screw off (no insult intended) - actually, designed for one use only.
davidcalvin
Cool.

I ordered twice the number of nuts that I need in case I have a brain fart or three. My brain is a gassy one.

Thanks for the advisories.

David
Jenny
QUOTE(davidcalvin @ Oct 13 2004, 03:06 PM)
I'll be a little embarrassed to ask for one of those at OSH.

Ever try asking where you can find Velcro? How can something so harmless seem so dirty? They raise their eyebrows even higher when you ask for the type with adhesive on the back. WTF?? confused24.gif

Jen
SLITS
Just go a little easy so you don't break the studs, uh titties, uh boobies uh what the hell of the back of the letters (See I know they're not numbers)
STL914
David, this may help. It's from a previous post here on the Forum that I saved. Not sure who the original poster is.

The spacing from the left most side of the P to the right side of the E is 41.5"

There is roughly 7" between letter centerline to centerline.
roundboy914
where did you get a set of new chrome letters from??
i have only been able to find used gold ones.
type47
PartsWerkes of chicago? wacko.gif constantly has a set on ebay. (NOT!)

tweeks? pelican? all the vendors.....
davidcalvin
There is a person who sells them on ebay. She (I think its a she) might sell them directly as well, I can inquire. They are new, chrome, and appear to be OEM (Or NOS)... There is german printing on them at least..
Root_Werks
Are the silver ones hard to find or something? I have like 2-3 sets taking up space in my garage. My wife won't let me put them on the house doors, so I don't know what else to do with them? confused24.gif
McMark
nut driver = screw driver, only for nuts/bolts. biggrin.gif

To get them spaced evenly just count all those little holes and do some math. We can talk about it on Monday.
davidcalvin
Pelican stopped carrying them.. all they have now are the gold ones.

David
Root_Werks
Dudes! I have like 2-3 sets of the metal silver ones at home. Why are these so hard to find? I have this bag full of 914 "porsche" lettering. They are all silver/metal. If anybody needs a set, let me know. Maybe I will take some pics and post them in the classifieds. I sure don't need them. smile.gif
davidcalvin
Hi..

what size nut wrench do i need to install the letters? I havent recevied the "nuts" themselves yet, so I cant compare. I was at OSH today and they have nut driver sets.. but I would hate to buy a bunch when I only need one.

Do y'all know what size I would need?

Thanks!

David
Mueller
but I would hate to buy a bunch when I only need one.

repeat after me: You can never have enough tools smile.gif

davidcalvin
You are right.. 20 bucks for a set of nut drivers aint bad I guess.. I guess i was thinkin like I still had a gf where I had to justify every purchase. ar15.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.