Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are my chances to brake the window seals?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Valy
My driver side handle broke few days ago so I have to take the door apart and fix it.

While I'm in there.... I have a set of tinted glass that I would like to install (it's a 1974). I was just about to start dismantling when I realized that I may brake the old and a bit brittle original seals.

What are my chances at that?
Any tips on removing the glass?
wingnut86
I recommend ordering a new set from Mikey914 anyway.

Secondarily, buy a small bottle of glycerin from the pharmacy or similar. You can try a similar product like rubber or seal renew from a local FLAPS or McMaster. Caveat, the petroleum products actually break the rubber down a bit while softening.

In the 80's I serviced VCRs, high end audio, CCTV, etc.; we used the glycerine to soften old rubber belts, seals and drive-train idlers on these products - works to soften stiff rubber and dissolves the glaze. It does leave a residue that needs to be wiped off or it will leave a slick coating that will need windex to remove off glass - ie, windows and windshield wipers..

Good luck.

Dave

rhodyguy
spring for new outer squeegees and inner fuzzy seals. they're cheap and slide right in and push right on. you'll want to remove each per door when you install the new glass anyway. while you're in there examine the vert channel felt. clean the inside of the door and treat any rust. there i is a thread i posted re vapor barriers in the classic thread forum, iirc. titled "vapor barriers for dummies". then when everything is opened up you decide to replace the plastic handle door sliders. then you say to yourself "i have to stop".

k
r_towle
if you are pulling the glass, both inner and outer need to get removed first.
slide out and replace the outer...it wont last.
Unsrew the inner (once the outer it out of the way) and you might be able to save that.

rich
rhodyguy
the inner fuzzy is a pull off press on affair. the outer fuzzy, there are 2 fuzzy strips, has the screws.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.