Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT-Dumbass City
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
A&PGirl
Like it says. The homes around have maybe have an attic fan or no ventilation. There is over 20ppm of Hydrogen Sulfide in the air and it keeps coming. How do I know? Because of the symptoms. I'm going to have to evacuate soon. I do not wish to contact all the viruses they are sending up along with the potential cancer causing agents.

What should I do to save my health, the pets health and clean the home air? ar15.gif

By the way there are a lot of yougn children and babies who are home during this time besides the elderly.

The City just set me off. ar15.gif ar15.gif
TheCabinetmaker
WTF.gif confused24.gif Maybe carry an oxygen tank and mask? confused24.gif
SLITS
How in the hell are they sending H2S into the homes? The only way I know of is through the sewer system and "P" traps should prevent that.

As I remember from my waste treatment days .. over 20 ppm is lethal.

We used to carry pennies in our pockets and if they discolored, we bailed.

In an enclosed space it would be lethal, but in the open the worst I got was the H2S sweats from over exposure.

Found it:

Hydrogen sulfide is regulated by OSHA and has a permissible exposure
limit of 20 parts per million (ppm) ceiling concentration and a peak exposure limit
of 50 (ppm) for no more than 10 minutes if no other measurable exposure
occurs.

Hydrogen sulfide can affect the body if it is inhaled or it comes in contact
with the eyes, skin, nose or throat. It can also affect the body if it is swallowed.
Inhalation of low concentrations may cause headache, dizziness and upset
stomach. At higher concentrations hydrogen sulfide may cause loss of
consciousness and death. Hydrogen sulfide has a strong odor of rotten eggs at
low concentrations and a sweetish odor at higher locations. Odor should not be
used as a warning of exposure since at concentrations of (20-30 parts per
million) hydrogen sulfide may deaden the sense of smell by paralyzing the
respiratory center of the brain and olfactory nerve.
There are two types of respiratory protection acceptable for protection
from hydrogen sulfide gas, SCBA or Supplied airline respirator. Respiratory
protection should only be used if engineering controls are not feasible to control
exposure to hydrogen sulfide gas.
There are may incidents of on the job fatalities caused by hydrogen sulfide
gas but with proper training, and monitoring equipment and safety and health
procedures for entering confined spaces, employees can work safely without
incident when encountering hydrogen sulfide gas at reservoirs and dams a
rhodyguy
are the sewer pipes be fumigated or what is the reasoning behind this? why only homes built in the 50's?

k
balljoint
Something to do with storm water systems being connected to sanitary systems from the houses?
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(balljoint @ May 29 2012, 01:06 PM) *

Something to do with storm water systems being connected to sanitary systems from the houses?

Storm water, and household waste water are two completely different systems.
balljoint
QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 29 2012, 02:38 PM) *

They should be. But they haven't always been done that way. In Toronto there are quite a lot of homes which have their eaves troughs, downspouts and weeping tile dump into the sanitary system.
kerensky
QUOTE(balljoint @ May 29 2012, 10:49 AM) *

They should be. But they haven't always been done that way. In Toronto there are quite a lot of homes which have their eaves troughs, downspouts and weeping tile dump into the sanitary system.

Aye, there are lots of cities where older work is all tied into the sanitary system, especially work done prior to the mid/late 70's and in more arid regions. I guess the thinking was, "Enh, it only rains a coupla times a year, why plan for it?" In some cases the city might not even have storm sewers in some older areas. Once it's in place the city often doesn't have any way to make a property owner fix the situation until they want to do an addition or major renovation work.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(kerensky @ May 29 2012, 02:23 PM) *

QUOTE(balljoint @ May 29 2012, 10:49 AM) *

Aye, there are lots of cities where older work is all tied into the sanitary system, especially work done prior to the mid/late 70's and in more arid regions. I guess the thinking was, "Enh, it only rains a coupla times a year, why plan for it?" In some cases the city might not even have storm sewers in some older areas. Once it's in place the city often doesn't have any way to make a property owner fix the situation until they want to do an addition or major renovation work.

I should have added: they are different systems here in Tulsa.
r_towle
I am not sure I understand where its coming from, nor the plumbing laws in your state but all septic/ human waste needs to be vented out of the enclosed space via a roof vent...

That means dont vent it into the attic, vent it out a roof vent specifically designed for this.

rich
balljoint
It's in the news. Leak from a container sent 1 man to hospital.
rhodyguy
a house that has downspouts tied into the sewer is a big NO in tacoma. the city puts smoke in to the system on a grid basis and they drive around looking for the smoke rising out of the gutter drain points at the eves. hefty fine for doing so. my cousin that used to live in tacoma buried p traps under the downspouts. his neighbors w/o p traps got fix it notices and had to have inspections to confirm the fix. if the fix wasn't completed within the time frame required, the city did the work and sent the bill out for the service provided.

k
A&PGirl
While they were doing this raw sewage came up and out of the toilets several times.

Well I filled a compliant with the city and an 'ol boy came inspected the mess and told me the pressure they were was to high and he tell 'um to back it off.

I'm tired now from cleaning raw sewage, cleaning up myself and cleaning up the clothes I was wearing.

Moral of the story: If you clean the sewer lines of a 50 yr old neighborhood with equally old home sewer lines, DON'T set your equipment pressure to MAX because it will blow back into the homes.

balljoint
Holy shit.
A&PGirl
They overpressured a very old system causing the excess to go where it could. Like starting a 944 and not knowing to bleed the coolant system. On a 944 its interesting, raw sewage is not. stromberg.gif

Get this, this 'service' has never happened before in the last 26 years and probably the last 30+ years. Tax payers are required to pay for it without due notice or due process to find out if they tax payers want to have the service.

And in other news, this is not new.
underthetire
Nuthin like hepatitis in the morning.

barf.gif
Mike Bellis
Call your local TV news.
bdstone914
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 29 2012, 10:54 AM) *

How in the hell are they sending H2S into the homes? The only way I know of is through the sewer system and "P" traps should prevent that.

As I remember from my waste treatment days .. over 20 ppm is lethal.

We used to carry pennies in our pockets and if they discolored, we bailed.

In an enclosed space it would be lethal, but in the open the worst I got was the H2S sweats from over exposure.

Found it:

Hydrogen sulfide is regulated by OSHA and has a permissible exposure
limit of 20 parts per million (ppm) ceiling concentration and a peak exposure limit
of 50 (ppm) for no more than 10 minutes if no other measurable exposure
occurs.

Hydrogen sulfide can affect the body if it is inhaled or it comes in contact
with the eyes, skin, nose or throat. It can also affect the body if it is swallowed.
Inhalation of low concentrations may cause headache, dizziness and upset
stomach. At higher concentrations hydrogen sulfide may cause loss of
consciousness and death. Hydrogen sulfide has a strong odor of rotten eggs at
low concentrations and a sweetish odor at higher locations. Odor should not be
used as a warning of exposure since at concentrations of (20-30 parts per
million) hydrogen sulfide may deaden the sense of smell by paralyzing the
respiratory center of the brain and olfactory nerve.
There are two types of respiratory protection acceptable for protection
from hydrogen sulfide gas, SCBA or Supplied airline respirator. Respiratory
protection should only be used if engineering controls are not feasible to control
exposure to hydrogen sulfide gas.
There are may incidents of on the job fatalities caused by hydrogen sulfide
gas but with proper training, and monitoring equipment and safety and health
procedures for entering confined spaces, employees can work safely without
incident when encountering hydrogen sulfide gas at reservoirs and dams a

Listen to SLITS, he really knows his shit.
Sorry, had to say that.
SLITS
QUOTE(A&PGirl @ May 29 2012, 02:16 PM) *

While they were doing this raw sewage came up and out of the toilets several times.

Well I filled a compliant with the city and an 'ol boy came inspected the mess and told me the pressure they were was to high and he tell 'um to back it off.

I'm tired now from cleaning raw sewage, cleaning up myself and cleaning up the clothes I was wearing.

Moral of the story: If you clean the sewer lines of a 50 yr old neighborhood with equally old home sewer lines, DON'T set your equipment pressure to MAX because it will blow back into the homes.

I have seen them "flush" the lines when they are plugged, but have never heard of them pressurizing the lines. They must have really jacked up the water pressure to blow it out of the toilets ...

Fortunately, HIV does not live out of the body for more than 4 hours as I remember .. now Hepatitis is another story. It was the only thing they really couldn't destroy in waste water when I was a Turdherder ... Yippie Kai Yai Ya'll & Shit Howdy ...
A&PGirl
Welcome to Tulsa. WTF.gif

Madswede
That's not good! sad.gif

I'd be surprised if there was all that much H2S in there, but I'm here not there, so I dunno shit. (sorry)

Totally agree with that turd burglar herder SLITS - it seems unlikely it's H2S but ye gods, that's bad stuff ... most people smell it long before it gets too hazardous (as in, can't get away, fall down and die hazardous - aka IDLH or immediately dangerous to life and health levels - 100 ppm I think it is).

Still, it can't be stressed enough that smell is not the real indicator ... if you smell rotten eggs AT ALL, I'd call the fire department immediately and report the sewage and rotten eggs smell.

In such a case, I think they should consider a hazmat response team to at least get an "extent of condition" - just a decently equipped team with the sniffers they should already have would do lots more than waiting for people to go to the hospital. dry.gif

Even if you don't I'd make a stink at least as big as they did in your home with the local government. Careless bastards. stromberg.gif
grantsfo
Hell my old 914 had higher levels than that!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.