Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: left the ignition on overnight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rgolia
well, trying to do too much around the house during spring cleanup while trying to figure out some electrical stuff on the 914 was not a good idea. The next day I found a dead battery and the ignition in the on position. The car has carbs and I have a fuel pump off switch that was in the off position (I just put that in).

The starter does not make a noise....did I kill it by leaving the ignition on? The battery is new and i charged it and checked it. confused24.gif
seanery
I'd be careful how long you keep the key at the "ON" position. Depending what position the points are at, it could fry the points, or even ruin the ignition coil. If you have electronic points, you would definately destroy the module by leaving the key in the "on" position for more than a minute. It would be good to have a partner check the voltages while your manning the ignition switch. If you don't have an extra hand, maybe disconnect the point gnd wire going to the coil. Or if you have a good multimeter, you could use the "hold" feature, which will document voltages.

from an old, old thread, well a month old anyway! LOL
TheCabinetmaker
More than likely you killed the electrical portion of the switch. Key on, car in neutral, P brake on (if you have it), then jump the solenoid. If it starts, its probably the key switch.
benalishhero
Just test the starter/circuit. Pull the lead off the solenoid side of the starter. Have someone crank the car and test the lead for 12volts. If you have 12volts when cranking you have a bad starter. If no voltage is present, you have a problem in the starting circuit. You can also put 12volts to the solenoid to test the starter.
rgolia
I will give that a try first and see what happens. Thanks
Andyrew
My guess is you fried the coil.. among other things (Not starter related.. but..)
rgolia
ok, here it the latest. Used my remote starter button and it started and ran fine. Purchased a new ignition switch and installed it. The key still does not crank the starter. What is next? WTF.gif confused24.gif
SLITS
On a '74 you have the ignition interlock underneath the passenger seat (couple of relays).

If you haven't cut and tied the big yellow wires together, do so (bypasses interlock).
76-914
Do you get 12v at the yellow wire to the starter solenoid when the key is at the start position? Do you have the seat belt lock out beneath the drivers seat. If so; has it been jumped?
Bob L.
QUOTE(rgolia @ Jun 8 2012, 09:56 AM) *

ok, here it the latest. Used my remote starter button and it started and ran fine. Purchased a new ignition switch and installed it. The key still does not crank the starter. What is next? WTF.gif confused24.gif

When the key is turned in the ignition it rotates a Cam which engages the electrical portion of the switch. The "cam" that turns the electrical portion of the switch can bend/twist backwards causing the switch to not turn far enough. It's pretty co-incidental to you leaving the ignition on, but sounds plausible. I hear it's a pretty common problem.

I fixed mine... www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=165861
rgolia
Yes the lockout is jumped. I will look at the tab that goes into the starter solenoid, perhaps my key was turned when I installed it. I will try starting it with the screw driver........ more to come.

One good thing that has come out of this mess it that I found my short to the right blinkers.
76-914
The screwdriver does the same thing as the remote starter button and you've already done that. Pull the yellow wire from the solenoid and check the actual voltage on that wire when the key is turned to start; not the run position.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.