Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: parts thief in Tulsa
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
TheCabinetmaker
I had a thread going a couple of years ago about someone coming in my locked, fenced lot and helping themselves to my parts cars. It was suggested that I either shoot them or get a camera. The thread turned into a gun control debate and was eventually locked, to my dismay. Since then I noticed no more parts missing, till a month ago. Its started again. Since I've been selling some used parts in the classifieds, I've been taking inventory of what I have. I now have it on paper whats missing. I've also installed a 24 hour recorded surveillance system. I know who is doing it. Now I will have proof, and will prosecute. I've talked to the tulsa county sheriff and they will be doing drive bys when in the area, as much as time allows. I'm also a concealed carry instructor and license holder, and combat handgun instructor. I have no intention of shooting anyone unless my life is threatened, so please don't turn this thread into another poiltical debate and get it locked again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just want this scumbag to stay off my property. I know you are on this site, and you have been warned.
StratPlayer
Hope you catch the bastard
billh1963
If you know the perp and have proof why are they on the street?
grantsfo
Gun control is aimed at nuts like you! piratenanner.gif Really youre going to go and wait for people to steal parts with your gun? Geez you are crazy! bootyshake.gif If you know who is doing it and have the proof it should be pretty simple to get the police all over the scumbag's stuff. No need to play rambo in the junk yard?

Sounding like neighborhood watch in Florida part 2

Hows that for political? Did that do it?
billh1963
QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 29 2012, 06:15 PM) *

Gun control is aimed at nuts like you! piratenanner.gif Really youre going to go and wait for people to steal parts with your gun? Geez you are crazy! bootyshake.gif If you know who is doing it and have the proof it should be pretty simple to get the police all over the scumbag's stuff. No need to play rambo in the junk yard?

Sounding like neighborhood watch in Florida part 2

Hows that for political? Did that do it?

LOL. Good try..... but, if he were serious he would have never posted a thing. He would have his "throw gun" ready.....
a914622
Post Pics!

The samba has a guy that got his motorcycle stolen/loaded into a eurovan. He has the pics posted.

I mean how cool would it be if the rat bastard was selling the parts and some one from here called him out!! "Those are the parts you stole ARE THEY???"

no need to comment on the rest of your situation!! Your right your responsibility!

Jcl
TheCabinetmaker
Grant, that is exactly the response I didnt want. Thanks. Maybe you should read what I wrote again. Nowhere did I say I was going to wait on them with a gun. I did not say I have proof. I said " I WILL have proof, and I will prosecute". Pay attention dude! Stop spinning my words and keep your politics to youre self.
Tom_T
... bear trap? smile.gif

Seriously Curt, post the pix this time & maybe folks will be surprised when they see who....esp. if it's someone else on here! dry.gif
markb
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ May 29 2012, 03:09 PM) *

agree.gif
carr914
If you know who it is and they are on this Site, I hope at some point you will call out the Scumbag
Valy
popcorn[1].gif

Can't wait to see the pictures. I hope you'll get one of him cutting himself from a rusty 914 happy11.gif
70-914nut
Get em Curt. Thief tresspass, thief shot, one less thief. Kiss my butt liberal boneheads.
cliffordbf
Does this mean I need to start carrying when I come down just in case we have a run in with the perp?
I hate people that steal shit that isn't theirs. This is the most frustrating thing to have to deal with. If there is anything I can help you out with, let me know. I have set up a couple of networked cameras that could be used to view the shop at any time from your phone or computer, and set it up to start sending you photos anytime the motion sensor is tripped.
SLITS
Bang .. IBTL
Katmanken
Come to Florida, and you can get robbed every three years.

At one large medical product facility in Ft. Lauderdale, they lost 15% of the cars out of the lot every year. And, the perps had to go over a barbed wire fence to do it.
bdstone914
Ever consider a dog?

Hope you catch him.

I used to have problems with kids cutting through my yard and leaving the gate open when the dos was inside.

I started greasing the top of the wall.

A friend of my told me in the Philipines they used crushed broken glass glued to tops of walls to deter intruders.

Shame we cant to that here.

I once caught a thief (AKA heroin addict) who stole pedal sets from me and sold them to a Porsche shop. We caught him and sent him back to prison. Very satisfying.

Bruce

carr914
QUOTE(Katmanken @ May 29 2012, 07:39 PM) *

Come to Florida, and you can get robbed every three years.

At one large medical product facility in Ft. Lauderdale, they lost 15% of the cars out of the lot every year. And, the perps had to go over a barbed wire fence to do it.

South Florida/North Cuba is not like the rest of the State. There are times I don't even lock the doors to the house or car
aircooledtechguy
I hope you catch the bastard!!

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 29 2012, 04:41 PM) *

A friend of my told me in the Philipines they used crushed broken glass glued to tops of walls to deter intruders.

That is EXACTLY what I had on the top of the wall around my compound when I lived in the Philippines. To some extent it kept cats out too. Nuthin' like the security of being surrounded by 500 broken San Miguel bottles. . ., but don't forget your key!! drunk.gif lol-2.gif

aharder
QUOTE(markb @ May 29 2012, 06:12 PM) *

QUOTE(StratPlayer @ May 29 2012, 03:09 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif
flippa
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 29 2012, 04:34 PM) *

Bang .. IBTL

ILBT biggrin.gif

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 29 2012, 04:41 PM) *

Ever consider a dog?

Get a dog. I have the friendliest dog, a Golden Retriever, and she lets me know if anyone comes on my property

I was in New Orleans a few years back & saw a wall of a cortyard (like 7 or 8 feet tall masonry) with the top covered with different colored glass bottles, most of them broken. Looked cool as hell. Probably not "technically" legal, but I bet it keeps them out.
toolguy
If it's someone on here, I'd personally appreciate you posting a picture of them in you yard grabbing 914 stuff. . . a little peer pressure goes a long way. . . maybe it will make them think if they know they are going to be exposed, as well as prosecuted / .
hot_shoe914
I say man up and shoot the Fucher between the eyes! ar15.gif
914itis
That's very disrespectful , do what you have to do, make sure you dont break your state law. Just don't get in trouble for the bastard.
Mr.242
There will be no shooting for petty theft and trespassing...eesh you guys. Too much time in the man cave watching Hollywood huh.gif

Curt said he knows who it is and they are on here. I vote/motion the person be banned and their 914WORLD 'card' revoked. I could never trust a guy to ever sell me a part again in fear it is stolen from someone else. Do I hear a second?

Trial by peers and public opinion. Pay the price of stupidity! Curt has proof and to hell with what the court may do. We should know who it is on camera and ban them.

violator is an IDIOT! slap.gif
914itis
2nd
Mr.242
QUOTE(914itis @ May 29 2012, 07:21 PM) *

2nd

Motion on the table with a 2nd....... All in favor say "Aye"

Opposed? speak your piece/peace.

That person should not make a red cent off any of us. If they are in financial need, it is always better to mention you need help than to steal from your fellow 914 peeps. WRONG!

Plenty of people on the WORLD that are amazing at helping. I've benefited, as I know many others have too. I feel sick knowing someone stole from another.
markb
AYE!
underthetire
Ya, no one buy parts from anyone in Tulsa till this is straightened out!
flippa
Awww, can we still shoot at them too? WTF.gif
Black22
Aye!
Jake Raby
All you need is a few 1X4 planks, a nail gun and a few hundred nails... Soak them in acid for a few days to remove the coating and then let them rust.. Cover them with some leaves in the areas where the parts are and warn anyone thats supposed to be there that you have the place rigged..

Then just wait... He better hope he has his tetanus shot up to date!

Or, equip your night watchman with thermal imaging optics and a belt fed.. :-)
rick 918-S
BANG! Post the photos and out the dude.
scotty b
HA ha !! IN !!!!
'73-914kid
Aye! popcorn[1].gif
JRust
I want the sucker caught. Worries the hell out of me to have people come out to my place. I live in the country & the last thing I want to do is lock all my stuff up. Making me think twice about having any yahoo come out to my place idea.gif .

Having said that do not post who you think it is name on the site. Even if you are 99 percent sure. If you get the proof then out the S.O.B. We'll be there to back you up no problem. Although if you wanted to catch him & he is on the site. Probably should have not mentioned that you have 24 hour monitoring now confused24.gif Good luck man & I second having a dog on site. A mean one too huh.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 29 2012, 07:55 PM) *

All you need is a few 1X4 planks, a nail gun and a few hundred nails... Soak them in acid for a few days to remove the coating and then let them rust.. Cover them with some leaves in the areas where the parts are and warn anyone thats supposed to be there that you have the place rigged..

Then just wait... He better hope he has his tetanus shot up to date!

Or, equip your night watchman with thermal imaging optics and a belt fed.. :-)

Damn the more time goes on the more I think we think alike Jake! I was going to say go middle ages on their asses. I'm type of guy who would source rusty bear traps and camouflage them if I knew I had thieving bastards sneaking onto my property and stealing shit. No need for high tech monitoring. Rock salt in a 12 gauge is also more my style. Although I'm equipped with night vision and cross bows at my place. No "cowboy shit" for trespassers with ill conceived motives around my pad. No one gets chest beating warning of im a "combat gun slinger" etc. Guess I have lived in mountains too long? Lol!

Although if someone were stealing my 914 junk I think I'd sit on my deck and applaud them for hauling the crap away! One mans treasure is another's trash.
Valy
I'm sure he's reading this and makes fun of our incompetence to identify him. I'm also sure that those stolen parts are sold for cheap here on the forum.

BTW, totally unrelated, I need a tinted rear glass for cheap.
avidfanjpl
My engineer's honda 750 was stolen out of our secure parking lot in Long Beach, CA when someone let a van in. They rolled the bike up into the van and were gone.

The cops caught the perps cutting it up in Long Beach. We got the plate.

Now it's card entry 1 car at a time at my job.

And all bikes are chained. Twice. And 4 times the cameras now.

John
TheCabinetmaker
Thanks for all the replies. Some very interesting views here. Some are well thought intelligent answers, some are a little comical, and some are just stupid.

Let me clarify a few things. I do not have a pic of the perf. The cameras were just installed. I have no desire to cause bodily harm or pain to them. I am not 100% sure its the same thief as last time. I don't think they are selling parts, but just using me as their personal junkyard. I will not make wild accusations without iron clad proof. If I get proof, it will be turned over to the authorities. If they decide there is sufficient evidence to prosecute, I will then give all the info here with the video for the world to see. Until then I'm not gonna open myself to a defamation and liable lawsuit.

I don't particularly want anyone to go to jail, or get shot, or get the middle ages thrust on their ass. I just want them to never come near my shop again.
falconfp2001
This includes such measures as broken bottles on top of walls

According to the ‘Occupiers Liability Act 1884′ If you do put barbed or razor wire on your fence then you must take reasonable precautions to prevent injury to other people, including trespassers, caused by dangers on your property or boundary.

The ‘Occupiers Liabilty Act’ clearly states that YOU are responsible for any injury someone receives even if they don’t have permission to be on your property. The only acception to the rule – is that adequate signs were clearly in place to warn an intruder of any danger.

However – Adequate warning signs are not a guarantee that you are protected from possible compensation claims for injury caused. For example:

If a child is injured climbing your barbed or razor covered walls or fences, the law is likely to consider that you have breached your duty of care. Leaving you wide open to a ’No-Win-No-Fee’ compensation claim
Your warning signs are written in english and your non- speaking english intruder cannot read them
A person with a learning disability climbing your fence is unable to take adequate responsibility for his or her own safety

Rockaria
24/7 Cameras, offsite video storage and monitoring, alarm, dogs and surprises. The only way to go..

Click to view attachment
mskala
I don't get writing this before getting the surveillance data. I mean, if you want
to catch the guy, you can't very well publicize the fact that you have all the
equipment, they will stop coming by. Unless the person is a complete moron or
doesn't read this site. Especially when you said it seemed to stop the last time
after you wrote a thread on it.
Scott S
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ May 30 2012, 07:42 AM) *

According to the ‘Occupiers Liability Act 1884′ If you do put barbed or razor wire on your fence then you must take reasonable precautions to prevent injury to other people, including trespassers, caused by dangers on your property or boundary.

The ‘Occupiers Liabilty Act’ clearly states that YOU are responsible for any injury someone receives even if they don’t have permission to be on your property. The only acception to the rule – is that adequate signs were clearly in place to warn an intruder of any danger.

However – Adequate warning signs are not a guarantee that you are protected from possible compensation claims for injury caused. For example:

If a child is injured climbing your barbed or razor covered walls or fences, the law is likely to consider that you have breached your duty of care. Leaving you wide open to a ’No-Win-No-Fee’ compensation claim
Your warning signs are written in english and your non- speaking english intruder cannot read them
A person with a learning disability climbing your fence is unable to take adequate responsibility for his or her own safety

I agree - folks need to know who this person is. Bums me out that they are a member here.

The above post is soooooo true. I got myself into a tad of trouble in highschool in a similar situation. We had someone stealing car stereos out of cars in the high school parking lot - especially the watercooled rabbits and scirroccos as all you had to do was reach up undere the dash and yank them out. I was driving a MK1 rabbit and was concerend. A bunch of us took our radios into shop class and soldered multiple sizes of fish hooks/razor blades to the top and sides of our radios. Uncovered the guy in less than a week with 4 fingers cut nearly to the bone (not my car thankfully). His parents were pissed and we were all called in to have a chat with the principal and a cop. We were scolded pretty fierce/notes were sent home - but nothing much happened. This was in 1984. Can you imagine the sh!t storm that would have been caused in todays sue happy world? Makes me cringe. My parents probably would have been sued today. Gotta be careful.

Jake Raby
Cameras are cool.. But to hide from me and the FLIR you have to turn your body temperature off :-) The FLIR is pictured here on my AR10 just prior to a feral hog eradication mission with a few other of my preferred tools for the job.

Click to view attachment

And here is what they look like when they start to cool down and assume room temperature.

IPB Image

People don't steal things when your reputation precedes you and they know what is going to happen when they enter the compound~

That said, I still like rusty nails in the feet and any idiot that enters the yard without permission deserves them.
falconfp2001
QUOTE(Scott S @ May 30 2012, 09:19 AM) *

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ May 30 2012, 07:42 AM) *

I agree - folks need to know who this person is. Bums me out that they are a member here.

The above post is soooooo true. I got myself into a tad of trouble in highschool in a similar situation. We had someone stealing car stereos out of cars in the high school parking lot - especially the watercooled rabbits and scirroccos as all you had to do was reach up undere the dash and yank them out. I was driving a MK1 rabbit and was concerend. A bunch of us took our radios into shop class and soldered multiple sizes of fish hooks/razor blades to the top and sides of our radios. Uncovered the guy in less than a week with 4 fingers cut nearly to the bone (not my car thankfully). His parents were pissed and we were all called in to have a chat with the principal and a cop. We were scolded pretty fierce/notes were sent home - but nothing much happened. This was in 1984. Can you imagine the sh!t storm that would have been caused in todays sue happy world? Makes me cringe. My parents probably would have been sued today. Gotta be careful.

Almost right. "The only acception to the rule – is that adequate signs were clearly in place to warn an intruder of any danger."

If you would have had a big warning sign on the windows of your car then it would have been weather they informed adequately about the possibility of injury to intruders.

It is about signs people. You can use razor wire, broken bottles what ever you want, but then you have to post signs "WARNING!! RAZOR WIRE"

You can get a guard dog but then again, you have to post a sign "WARNING!!! GUARD DOG ON PREMISSES"

You can even post a sign "TRESPASSERS MAY BE SUBJECT TO DEADLY FORCE". Not saying that this would justify using deadly force but the legality is there.

mepstein
smile.gif
SUNAB914
Well, at least two bleeding liberals here on this site.
falconfp2001
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 30 2012, 10:07 AM) *

Cameras are cool.. But to hide from me and the FLIR you have to turn your body temperature off :-) The FLIR is pictured here on my AR10 just prior to a feral hog eradication mission with a few other of my preferred tools for the job.

Click to view attachment

And here is what they look like when they start to cool down and assume room temperature.

IPB Image

People don't steal things when your reputation precedes you and they know what is going to happen when they enter the compound~

That said, I still like rusty nails in the feet and any idiot that enters the yard without permission deserves them.

don't want to piss you off blink.gif
Jake Raby
don't want to piss you off

Thats just a taste.

seanery
Which AUG have you got there Jake?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.