Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gears
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
I found a previous thread (from Andy) that says A,GA,O,V,ZA is stock for the 914-6.

What are the stock 914-4 gears?

Some of the earlier threads about trans gears seem to be missing, or at least I can't find them in the site search engine. confused24.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 10 2003, 10:00 PM)
I found a previous thread (from Andy) that says A,GA,O,V,ZA is stock for the 914-6.

What are the stock 914-4 gears?

Charlie Davis' page with 901 and 915 gearing information

according to my Betriebsanleitung, stock /6 gears are: A:GA:O:V:ZA. as i'm sure you're aware, 2nd is on the mainshaft. IIRC, /4's use G 2nd and ZD top and no other changes - but check Charlie's page to verify.

okay, i just did that, and i was wrong... 914/4 is A:F:N:V:ZD -- IOW - 1st and 4th are the same, the rest are different... both use the 7:31 R&P.
campbellcj
Thanks Rich. I didn't manage to stumble onto Charlie's page in my Google quest last night.

Now I need to get an approximate torque curve for a 2.2S-ish engine, and ponder some cornering speeds and shift points. I'm fiddling with the gearcalc spreadsheet(s) posted by Brad a while back.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 11 2003, 06:11 AM)
Now I need to get an approximate torque curve for a 2.2S-ish engine...

i don't have any owner's manual-type curves in any of the references readily available to me, i think both my Anderson books are in PA so i can't say if they'd help ... no curves in the 'Technical Specifications' book...

but Frere in 'The 911 Story' shows peak torque of 147 lbs/ft at 5200 dropping to 134 at 5500.
peak HP of 180 (DIN) at 6500, falling to 170 at 6800.

he also mentions that the 2,2's got slightly higher 5th gears (29:22 vs 29:23 - not gonna cross-check that to get the letter codes...) but all the intermediate gears were raised over the 2,0 cars...
Zeke
Mainly due to availability, I chose to replace 4th and 5th with S and Y and I flipped 5th into 3rd as prescribed in the older thread you mentioned. I have only driven the car up thru the gears a couple of times, but it seems alot like my Boxster. Nice even spread. I belive this will be a good all around trainer. More specific gearing per each track would be nice, but this business ain't cheap. First impressions tell me I'm in the ball park of being able to keep the motor in the RPM band that will do the most good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.