Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone Want a 917?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
I'm working on creating the opportunity to do a full build on one of these 917s from 917 North America, Inc.

I would rent a dedicated shop next door for the build. As with all my major projects, it would be fully documented for the internet.

Right now, I'm fishing for the right person to become the owner of one of these incredible cars.

It would require signing a contract and the ability to spend $80k-$100k over the next three to four years.

Anyone? sunglasses.gif

nomore9one4
I have some magic beans! confused24.gif That will be a cool build smile.gif
Scott S
80-100K? that seems really cheap. What are the specs? is that in addition to the price of the kit from 917NA?

VERY cool.
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(Scott S @ May 31 2012, 10:58 AM) *

80-100K? that seems really cheap. What are the specs? is that in addition to the price of the kit from 917NA?

VERY cool.

agree.gif

I was betting more along the lines of $500K for one of these cars!! blink.gif
flipb
Is it street-legal? Would be fun to show up at cars & coffee. happy11.gif
jim_hoyland
Nice project Joe ! Would the car be registered as a 2012 model ?
billh1963
From what I have read, earlier ones were built at a cost somewhere less than $100K and (once built) have sold for 3 to 6 times the original build cost.
billh1963
QUOTE(Scott S @ May 31 2012, 10:58 AM) *

VERY cool.

Joe will have to reply; however, when I looked at them a couple of years ago that would be the cost of the using a NA 911 engine. If you build with a turbo, 930, etc. the build cost will go up acccordingly.
seanery
I would be willing to be a partner. Anyone want to pool resources on this? I'd expect there are 5-10 of us willing idea.gif
Valy
My wife can spend 80K-100K in a couple of years. idea.gif
billh1963
They offer a 906 as well. That might be something I would be interested in...seriously!
kerensky
QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 31 2012, 08:14 AM) *

They offer a 906 as well. That might be something I would be interested in...seriously!

Step 1: Build 917
Step 2: Sell 917 for Profit
Step 3: build 906 from proceeds.
Step 4: Enjoy free* 906!

* Free does not include cost of time, blood, sweat, tears, divorces, injuries, therapy, and/or loss of life and limb.
seanery
seriously guys, if you'd be interested in a 10-20k investment over the next XX months put your name in. =)

We'd have to have a lawyer do all the legal stuff, form a corp or something, then it's all fair and legal like. Protection for all. I'm sure we have an attorney here who'd help us out.
scotty b
QUOTE(seanery @ May 31 2012, 08:30 AM) *

seriously guys, if you'd be interested in a 10-20k investment over the next XX months put your name in. =)

We'd have to have a lawyer do all the legal stuff, form a corp or something, then it's all fair and legal like. Protection for all. I'm sure we have an attorney here who'd help us out.

IMHO that's a hell of a gamble and a great way to lose friends. Spending 100k on a kit car hoping to double that is risky at best. Anyone wanting one of these could easily build it themselves for less than what you would need to sell your finished one for. Very small market your looking at....VERY small confused24.gif

I think what Joe is looking for is a single person that wants to have it built and keep it.
scotty b

Seriously ? poke.gif poke.gif

Yes I am working on you car today welder.gif
seanery
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 31 2012, 12:37 PM) *

QUOTE(seanery @ May 31 2012, 08:30 AM) *

IMHO that's a hell of a gamble and a great way to lose friends. Spending 100k on a kit car hoping to double that is risky at best. Anyone wanting one of these could easily build it themselves for less than what you would need to sell your finished one for. Very small market your looking at....VERY small confused24.gif

I think what Joe is looking for is a single person that wants to have it built and keep it.

I'd love to have access to one, to use it, etc...if the biz is set up with insurance, etc...then owning 1/10 - 1/5 of one of these would be awesome - even if we never tried to flip it. It'd have to be done right, with the right bits, however, to make it worthwhile.
Series9
The $100k number is a very rough estimate at this point. The total cost could easily be escalated by $40k just on the engine choice alone.

These aren't available as kits, so no, you can't do one yourself. I know the owners of the company and we've been talking about the publicity that could be generated by a local, documented internet build at Series 9.

Prospective customers could come here to see the build in person, ect.

billh1963
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 31 2012, 12:38 PM) *

Seriously ? poke.gif poke.gif

Yes I am working on you car today welder.gif

One can never have too many Porsche's....seriously! aktion035.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 31 2012, 12:37 PM) *

I agree... to buy a car like this and think you are going to make a lot of money is a helluva gamble. Who knows what state the economy will be in?

It is a very small market. And, if it takes several years to get the car finished, you will be very late to the market!
mepstein
Make money on a kit car - lol-2.gif av-943.gif
Madswede
QUOTE(Series9 @ May 31 2012, 08:40 AM) *

It would require signing a contract and the ability to spend $80k-$100k over the next three to four years.

Anyone? sunglasses.gif

blink.gif w00t.gif drooley.gif
THAT is effin' cool Joe! Hope it comes to fruition.

I'm just going to nip off and buy a few lottery tickets ...
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 31 2012, 01:50 PM) *

Normally, I would agree. However, some of these are very high quality replicas versus the old "throw a fiberglass body on a VW pan" kit cars we all remember. A high quality replica will appreciate over time along with the car it copies. Some replicas are better built than the originals!
mepstein
QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 31 2012, 02:12 PM) *

Normally, I would agree. However, some of these are very high quality replicas versus the old "throw a fiberglass body on a VW pan" kit cars we all remember. A high quality replica will appreciate over time along with the car it copies. Some replicas are better built than the originals!

Will the appreciation out way the cost of the replica, cost to build, cost of maintaining, storing and insuring the car cost of not having the money for investments and cost of inflation. It's really dicey to say they are appreciating investments and even tougher to prove they are profitable investments. ...But I still would like one for my garage!
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 31 2012, 03:05 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 31 2012, 02:12 PM) *

Will the appreciation out way the cost of the replica, cost to build, cost of maintaining, storing and insuring the car cost of not having the money for investments and cost of inflation. It's really dicey to say they are appreciating investments and even tougher to prove they are profitable investments. ...But I still would like one for my garage!

I don't disagree....never said they were an investment. biggrin.gif
Just saying that the really nice ones can hold their own. Certainly will be more fun and worth more in 5 years than buying a new BMW7 series or a Panamera! driving.gif
Series9
OK, settle down.

If you need an investment, call your fuching broker.

This build would be for an enthusiast who has the money to spend.
carr914
Joe, be very careful with these guys from 917NA. I'm very good friends with the people at JB Racing and they have told me a few stories - Money & Legal Problems
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 31 2012, 09:50 AM) *

Make money on a Porsche- lol-2.gif av-943.gif

agree.gif
Madswede
QUOTE(Series9 @ May 31 2012, 01:47 PM) *

OK, settle down.

If you need an investment, call your fuching broker.

This build would be for an enthusiast who has the money to spend.

I've always wanted to drive 200mph+ ... Nurburgring, Le Mans, Sebring, Road Atlanta, Long Beach, Daytona ... idea.gif

Oh, you said "who has the money to spend." You already got all mine. laugh.gif

Still, one can but dream. I hope you get a taker, I'd love to see that thing being built.
Series9
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 31 2012, 04:02 PM) *

Joe, be very careful with these guys from 917NA. I'm very good friends with the people at JB Racing and they have told me a few stories - Money & Legal Problems

Thank you TC, but I don't have to be that careful. The son (my age) of the owner is a close, personal friend. I know all the details. The reason I'm becoming more involved is to try to get this awesome plan off the ground.

More will follow, but I'm willing to put S9s reputation in the mix. If I commit to this build reaching fruition, trust me, it will.

I will never sign a contract or take an order that can't be fulfilled.
carr914
QUOTE(Series9 @ May 31 2012, 08:10 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ May 31 2012, 04:02 PM) *

Thank you TC, but I don't have to be that careful. The son (my age) of the owner is a close, personal friend. I know all the details. The reason I'm becoming more involved is to try to get this awesome plan off the ground.

More will follow, but I'm willing to put S9s reputation in the mix. If I commit to this build reaching fruition, trust me, it will.

I will never sign a contract or take an order that can't be fulfilled.

It is an Awesome Plan & which could turn out well. You know the details & that is the most important part
Cracker

I've owned two kit cars and have made significant money between them...the key was not building them! shades.gif
PeeGreen 914
Joe, so what are the details here. I know more than a few that "could" pull the trigger if something like this was what they wanted to do. I just need a few more details. I by no means have any money to throw at this but I do know many that do.
Series9
The car will be built to spec, so no true details until we find a buyer. He will dictate the details.
Jake Raby
I have dealt with literally dozens of kit car companies over the years. I always watched my back and didn't give them any terms other than COD. One of them sent me 4 bad checks in a row and wonder why I got pissed and sold their engine to someone else.

The ONLY replicar company I have dealt with that is run the way a business should be is Special Edition/ Beck. The rest have proven to be shoestring operated fly by nights that rob Peter to pay Paul and do a very poor job of it.

Be very careful and expect over-promising and under-delivery along with non realistic delivery dates on the front end. Thats how the replicar industry rolls~

Also, when you find that buyer pay to have a REAL contract made with him. He may be able to afford it today, but not next year and your ass needs to be covered to include who gets the car in an event that he misses payments or does not follow through with terms. Trust no one.
ww914
Apparently Jake, you have not done any business with Henry at IM.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 1 2012, 06:48 AM) *

I have dealt with literally dozens of kit car companies over the years. I always watched my back and didn't give them any terms other than COD. One of them sent me 4 bad checks in a row and wonder why I got pissed and sold their engine to someone else.

The ONLY replicar company I have dealt with that is run the way a business should be is Special Edition/ Beck. The rest have proven to be shoestring operated fly by nights that rob Peter to pay Paul and do a very poor job of it.

Be very careful and expect over-promising and under-delivery along with non realistic delivery dates on the front end. Thats how the replicar industry rolls~

Also, when you find that buyer pay to have a REAL contract made with him. He may be able to afford it today, but not next year and your ass needs to be covered to include who gets the car in an event that he misses payments or does not follow through with terms. Trust no one.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that anyone that is going to lay down 100k on a kit car is going to want that contract just as much as anyone else poke.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Jun 1 2012, 07:27 AM) *

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that anyone that is going to lay down 100k on a kit car is going to want that contract just as much as anyone else poke.gif

You'd be very surprised... I have a hundred thousand dollar Spyder at my shop now and because the owner didn't have any contracts in place the car was held at one shop since 2008! We got stuck having to rework tons of the subsystems just to keep our engine from dying.

Just because someone has 100K to spend on a toy car doesn't mean they are wise~
mepstein
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 1 2012, 11:38 PM) *

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Jun 1 2012, 07:27 AM) *

You'd be very surprised... I have a hundred thousand dollar Spyder at my shop now and because the owner didn't have any contracts in place the car was held at one shop since 2008! We got stuck having to rework tons of the subsystems just to keep our engine from dying.

Just because someone has 100K to spend on a toy car doesn't mean they are wise~

and just because they have a piece of paper with signatures doesn't mean they are protected.
carr914
Joe, some enticements - this was at our Cars & Coffee this morning

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
campbellcj
My .02 is these are super cool but in the end it is still a kit car, replica, tribute or whatever term you prefer. For that kind of money I would rather have a factory car with some race pedigree or limited production value and upside. I know know many Porsche cars that fit that description are being priced out of the stratosphere but there are collectible options like the RS America, 993tt and so forth that are still 'relatively' affordable.
Series9
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 2 2012, 09:26 AM) *

Joe, some enticements - this was at our Cars & Coffee this morning

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

We have access to Bailey Cars as well. The parts come from either Australia or South Africa. I understand the Bailey is very very close to the original. It's only been beefed up in places required to have more metal by FIA requirements at today's standards.
URY914
Drop in 3 -4's or 2 -6's and away you go..... driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.