Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Non-NOS Interior Light is a piece of @#$%
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I had my back pad recovered so I replaced my broken original interior light. At least, I thought I replaced it. Could not find NOS so I got the VW Empi light. Not even close to being original! I had to "jury-rig" the light to make it stay in the pad. I will not be using it because I am afraid to touch it because it may come out of the pad! I don't drive at night anyway! Looks good from a distance! beerchug.gif
Valy
First, you have that light mounted upside down.
2nd, you need to either build the missing teeth on the light housing (there were 2 on each side) or bent the metal holders in the backpack to mach the one on the new light housing.

Other than that, many of us use it and it works perfectly fine.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JawjaPorsche
I don't think having the light upside down will make it any better! The reason I put the switch on the passenger side was because I am 63 and not very flexible (had shoulder surgery) and will not have to stretch my arm way back to reach it.

Valy, your light it much nicer than mine! Do you want to trade?! Your mounting brackets are better plus my light only had one wire tab connecter on each side. I was unable to hook up the door light switch wire. Yours is copper. Mine is not. Your lens looks different too.

I guess they are getting cheaper!

QUOTE(Valy @ May 31 2012, 05:13 PM) *

First, you have that light mounted upside down.
2nd, you need to either build the missing teeth on the light housing (there were 2 on each side) or bent the metal holders in the backpack to mach the one on the new light housing.

Other than that, many of us use it and it works perfectly fine.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Valy
Maybe you got the wrong part confused24.gif
I bought this new less than 2 years ago. The clamp on the left is from the old light and the tooth on the right is baking soda + super glue (it makes out a nice polymer).
Bartlett 914
I never cared for that light NOS or not. It just sees to blind me and illuminate nothing. I installed some LED strip lights under the dash to light up the foot well. That light is just used to fill the hole in the back pad.
underthetire
Just wait till you leave the door open a little too long. Melted pile of goo. Btdt.
Dave_Darling
The old light in my car is more frosted than the replacement part. It gives the light a much softer quality when it's on. Perhaps some coarse-grit sandpaper could help soften the light?

--DD
Tom_T
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ May 31 2012, 01:21 PM) *

I had my back pad recovered so I replaced my broken original interior light. At least, I thought I replaced it. Could not find NOS so I got the VW Empi light. Not even close to being original! I had to "jury-rig" the light to make it stay in the pad. I will not be using it because I am afraid to touch it because it may come out of the pad! I don't drive at night anyway! Looks good from a distance! beerchug.gif

Jawja - try getting the current Hella made one, which should fit better & isn't very expensive, but they're the black switch version nowadays - not the white button with silver/chrome bezel edge that our 914s originally came with back in the 70's.

AA, PP, GPR, TC's Garage, Sierra Madre, etc. all carry it.
etcmss
Didn't the original have the springs for the bulbs?
I have a similar problem in the latching of the light ears to the back pad clips.
Gary
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(etcmss @ Jun 1 2012, 06:00 AM) *

I have a similar problem in the latching of the light ears to the back pad clips.
Gary

Same boat.

Mine always pops out. usually I just leave it out and only put it in if I think someone else might look into the car.

Zach
JawjaPorsche
Yes, the original had springs. I have attached picture of my broken original lite.

QUOTE(etcmss @ Jun 1 2012, 07:00 AM) *

Gary

GeorgeRud
I think that LEDs are now available to replace the bulb - that would certainly help with the heat issue. Popping out of it's mounting is another problem!
cary
I had the same problem with a new Hella black switch unit.
The problem is our thick backpad.
On the non spring side I cut a deeper slot with a sideways bastard file.
That way you've caught the fiberboard and the padding. You have to get behind the fiberboard to get it to stay.
My .02c. for this AM.
Works like a champ ...........
Tom_T
I don't know if this is the same one with a white button, but I noticed it on evil-bay recently as a possible substitute with a white button which you could paint "chrome" into the bezel edge backside. Can't speak to it's fit, quality, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...=true&rt=nc

That link now shows ended, but contact the vendor DSNW who carries them.

Also be sure o use proper wattage bulds per the 914 owners manual, because there were brighter higher wattage dome light bulbs out there which fit in 914s, but were intended for other VWs & other cars whose dome light mounting point could stand more heat.

This is a common problem on interior & exterior lights where folks try to bump the light output/brightness with a higher wattage bulb - or save coin by using an off-brand cheaper correct wattage bulb which may or may not have been made to the factory specs for heat output - and then they end up with a more expensive fix due to a fried lens! dry.gif

"Back in the day" I had the wrong one in my 914 dome light, which melted/warped the lens & burnt through a bit in the center of my now "unobtanium" original light! mad.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Elliot Cannon
I never have to reach around to turn on the interior light because it is wired to a switch on my center panel. Right under the switch for my fuel pump. I disconnected the light from the door switches a long time ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.