Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Picking up a Donor tomorrow! Woohoo LS1
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
I am buying this 2000 z28 camaro tomorrow. It runs & drives great as it is. It has the LS1 piratenanner.gif motor I want to replace my current v8 setup. I'm not ready to do it yet but for $2500 I couldn't pass it up. It does have a salvadge title which the guy bought it with in 2007. I don't care about that as it will be salvadged before long evilgrin.gif . Plus I can part out the rest of the car to recoup some of my investment. I have found some LS motor's here & there for sale. Most don't have everything & it will nickel & dime you getting all the little bits.
Nice thing is I can drive it for a while until I am ready. I plan for that to be sooner rather than later. Insurance on it will probably detour me from driving it much. I drive my 914's for fun so there isn't much need for it. I'll be keeping my eye's out for LS conversion parts.
jaxdream
You gonna upgrade / update the braking system also ??? 5 lug ??? Bye Bye Booick . Go for it , drive the cheby , collect parts !!!! Do a build thread while your'e at it !!!

Jack

infraredcalvin
Stick a broom handle into the wheel well and pop out that bumper before you get a crease, will be another part you can get $$ for. BTDT....
rwilner
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jun 1 2012, 10:21 AM) *

Stick a broom handle into the wheel well and pop out that bumper before you get a crease, will be another part you can get $$ for. BTDT....

Z28s are a blast and they actually corner quite well from the factory. (Well, maybe not if your reference point is a 914.)

You can get 600 fwhp out of an LS1 if you're willing to put a supercharger on it.
andys
Unless it's got a bazillion miles on it, that's a steal @ $2500! Yeah, there's a lot of tid bits you can use from the car. The BCM (Body Control Module) is especially nice, and makes for a great power distribution center.....You can get rid of the funky, out-dated 914 electrical stuff.

Keep us abreast of your progress. Let me know if you have any 914/LS1 questions.

Andys
Mike Bellis
Nice score!

I love donor cars... wub.gif they are full of parts!
JRust
I allready have upgraded my brakes. I am 5lug all around with 944 turbo brakes up front. My current v8 has me ready for this LS1 upgrade. I may drive it until winter. We will see about my current setup. Probably be up for sale soon.
Mike Bellis
I double dog dare you to have it ready for WCR 2013!

poke.gif
Rand
smilie_pokal.gif I love it! Bang/hp for buck, it doesn't get any better. Nice score. How many miles?
JRust
97,600 miles! Trying not jinx myself as it is such a smokin deal. I got about 3 hours before I pick i up
JRust
Well I just picked it up. Went by a Jiffy lube to get a quick oil change. Had them recharge the a/c as it was warm. That didn't do anything but it held a charge. Looking further there was no belt to the a/c. I went ahead & had them install a new belt. Still nothing the pump isn't frozen it turns fine. Tried jumping the switch but no luck there either. So we called it & I left. Not something I'll sink a bunch into but will take it to a real shop. I'll see whats up at least for future referance. Car runs & drives good although the 20" rims are a bit much aktion035.gif .

As I planned it is the perfect Donor car piratenanner.gif
Lennies914
I had a '95 6-speed convertible back in the day. It was a fun car! aktion035.gif
underthetire
My ex neighbor picked up a black one just like that for 300 bucks! It was overheating. Had the heads done and gaskets and the thing ran perfect. I was soo trying to get that car from him. He still had less than 1k in that car!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 1 2012, 07:08 PM) *

Well I just picked it up. Went by a Jiffy lube to get a quick oil change. Had them recharge the a/c as it was warm. That didn't do anything but it held a charge. Looking further there was no belt to the a/c. I went ahead & had them install a new belt. Still nothing the pump isn't frozen it turns fine. Tried jumping the switch but no luck there either. So we called it & I left. Not something I'll sink a bunch into but will take it to a real shop. I'll see whats up at least for future referance. Car runs & drives good although the 20" rims are a bit much aktion035.gif .

As I planned it is the perfect Donor car piratenanner.gif

No wonder it has a salvage title... An idiot owned it. blink.gif
JRust
Couple pics of the of my new z28 DONOR. There is the money shot below of the motor drooley.gif
rhodyguy
i think jerry is the go to guy for all the info on the LS1. a 914 fitted w/a LS1 gets lots of attention. the 308 2 stalls over got passing glances at best.
JRust
Yeah I have talked to Jerry a bit. He is a great resource to be sure. He will be doing my paint eventually. He did use the 901 with his. Which I can do but I'd like to explore the other tranny options. I'd like to get a newer tranny with a cable shift setup. Plus a nice 6speed would be a nice change. One that can handle the power & is a good fit
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 3 2012, 10:23 AM) *

Yeah I have talked to Jerry a bit. He is a great resource to be sure. He will be doing my paint eventually. He did use the 901 with his. Which I can do but I'd like to explore the other tranny options. I'd like to get a newer tranny with a cable shift setup. Plus a nice 6speed would be a nice change. One that can handle the power & is a good fit

Just buy my rebuilt 901 H gear tranny with cable shift. It will be perfect for you. biggrin.gif I need to find a Boxster tranny now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.