Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Power for innovate air fuel gauge?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
Hooking up an innovate lc1 and innovate fb gauge. Two quick wiring question:

1- instructions say I am supposed to hook one of the gauge wires up to a wire that supplies current to the headlights. Is one of the two left most (73 fuse panel) fuses an acceptable tap in point?

2- what is a preferred 12v switched tap in point?
falconfp2001
QUOTE(tornik550 @ May 31 2012, 05:54 PM) *

1- instructions say I am supposed to hook a gauge wire up to a wire that supplies current to the headlights. Is one of the two left most (73 fuse panel) fuses an acceptable tap in point?

2- what is the preferred 12v switched tap in point?

Easy, just did this not to long ago. I wired everything to the back of the fuse panel. Just un-screw it and use a circuit tester to find the 12v always on, there should be three of them on the right of the fuse panel, then the very next on to the left should be black with red stripe, that is 12v switched but you should verify it by just switching on the ignition and checking with the circuit tester. There should be an extra spade on the lower end of the panel that you can just tap into. Then you should look to the left for a Black with blue stripe wire coming out the top. This is the instrument panel lighting 12v.

I used some spaded jumpers that you can get from any autoparts place, they use them to tap the fuse panel for radios. My local Aircooled parts place had them and they are cheap.

All you need to do is get some crimping female spade connectors and your good.
rwilner
One recommendation: place a fuse in-line for the constant 12V feed. The innovate manual specifies the value (I think it's 5A).
tornik550
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ May 31 2012, 09:39 PM) *

1- instructions say I am supposed to hook a gauge wire up to a wire that supplies current to the headlights. Is one of the two left most (73 fuse panel) fuses an acceptable tap in point?

Easy, just did this not to long ago. I wired everything to the back of the fuse panel. Just un-screw it and use a circuit tester to find the 12v always on, there should be three of them on the right of the fuse panel, then the very next on to the left should be black with red stripe, that is 12v switched but you should verify it by just switching on the ignition and checking with the circuit tester. There should be an extra spade on the lower end of the panel that you can just tap into. Then you should look to the left for a Black with blue stripe wire coming out the top. This is the instrument panel lighting 12v.

I used some spaded jumpers that you can get from any autoparts place, they use them to tap the fuse panel for radios. My local Aircooled parts place had them and they are cheap.

Wow- awesome. The instructions worked great. I have not hooked up the headlight current wire yet. This may sound strange but if I hooked the wire from the gauge that is supposed to go to the headlight current wire- to a 12v switched wire- would the gauge run dim at all times? I thought the gauge was a bit bright.

Thank you
falconfp2001
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Jun 3 2012, 07:18 PM) *

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ May 31 2012, 09:39 PM) *

Wow- awesome. The instructions worked great. I have not hooked up the headlight current wire yet. This may sound strange but if I hooked the wire from the gauge that is supposed to go to the headlight current wire- to a 12v switched wire- would the gauge run dim at all times? I thought the gauge was a bit bright.

Thank you

Yes, the way you wired it means the panel light will be on at all times. You have to find the Black with blue stripe coming off the fuse box. It is 12v for all the dash lights.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.