Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early heater fan wiring question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r3dplanet
My car has never had heat in the time that I've owned it. The car is a 1971 but the engine and wiring in the bay are all for 1973.

I took the time to completely refurb an early blower fan. It has two wires: one brown, one green. According to the wiring diagram I'm supposed to have wires directly from the harness to power it. I don't.

Where am I supposed to tap for power?

Also, on the relay board I have a mystery green wire coming from astern. I have no idea what it's for. Any guesses? See photos for clarity.

Thanks,
Marcus

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
McMark
The 14 rolls of electrical tape on your harness seem to indicate someone's been playing there before. wink.gif
falconfp2001
BTW nice engine bay. The circle is the harness that should have a green wire for your heater blower power. then there should be a brown wire that goes to ground. looks like someone turned your green wire back into the connector for some reason. I've never seen that before. You can get a used harness or a new one from Jeff Bowlsby as I think all the ignition harnesses were the same throughout the years.
r3dplanet
Thanks for the responses. As it is I have new Bowlsby ignition, alternator, and injection harnesses.

The green jumper in the circle looks very much other '73 relay board connectors I've seen in real life and on this forum. I wonder if I can just splice into it.

-marcus

falconfp2001
Sorry, my bad. 73 comes from the 14 pin connector. The green spade you show up top. That is the blower power but I don't know how the round is wired and that should be a brown wire that may go to the engine block ground point.
falconfp2001
BTW, whenever i have wiring problems this helps

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm

Then Jeff Bowlsby of course.
JeffBowlsby
Hi Marcus...so you're the Schpankmeister huh? wink.gif

The ignition harnesses are not all the same...to correct any misinformation. See my harness website for details. There are 3 Djet ignition harnesses and 1 Ljet ignition harness for our 914s. They are each different.

Issue: The 1970-72 cars main chassis harness does not have the wiring branch for the blower fan like the 1973-76 cars do. For the 1970-72 cars the fan connects to the ignition harness. For the 1973-76 cars the fan connects to a branch integral to the main chassis harness.

Easiest solution? Use a 1970-72 ignition harness to use the heater fan for an early 914. The only other way I can think of off the top of my head is to use the 73-76 ignition harness, then find the correct pin on the 12 pin connector for the (its either 10 or 11) for the green wire, then run a separate ground wire for the fan. You can study the two ignition harness diagrams and see what I am talking about. Or I can make a new or customize your existing harness to do the trick.
r3dplanet
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 31 2012, 09:15 PM) *

Hi Marcus...so you're the Schpankmeister huh? wink.gif

The ignition harnesses are not all the same...to correct any misinformation. See my harness website for details. There are 3 Djet ignition harnesses and 1 Ljet ignition harness for our 914s. They are each different.

Issue: The 1970-72 cars main chassis harness does not have the wiring branch for the blower fan like the 1973-76 cars do. For the 1970-72 cars the fan connects to the ignition harness. For the 1973-76 cars the fan connects to a branch integral to the main chassis harness.

Easiest solution? Use a 1970-72 ignition harness to use the heater fan for an early 914. The only other way I can think of off the top of my head is to use the 73-76 ignition harness, then find the correct pin on the 12 pin connector for the (its either 10 or 11) for the green wire, then run a separate ground wire for the fan. You can study the two ignition harness diagrams and see what I am talking about. Or I can make a new or customize your existing harness to do the trick.

Ack. It used to be that the Spankmeister thing was just born from irritation because all the other names I could think of were taken. Since then I've been using r3dplanet, but I can't change the name here. I'm stuck. And I'm not even into spanking.

Let me announce that I've made a blunder.

In fact, I believed all the harnesses I bought from you were in fact ordered for a 1971 model. The relay panel is still from 1973. I didn't know that my engine was a '73 until I was installing the harnesses this spring when I discovered that the harness came with a different throttle position pinout. When I looked at the engine code I discovered I had an EA engine - or 1973 1.7 liter.

So scratch all that information about having all 1973 wiring. The only '73 wiring I have is the relay board and injection harness. If the early ignition harness provides connections to the fan, then I'm even more confused because I don't see any connections.

This leaves me thinking that since I ordered the ignition harness a month after the purchase of the injection harness (when I made the EA engine discovery) I must have then ordered a '73 ignition harness. Thus, I have no fan connection at all because I have a late ignition harness (with no fan connection) and an early chassis harness that doesn't provide the connections either.

I apologize for the misinformation. It must be the new meds.

-marcus
etcmss
I'm working on this today. A 71 body and harness, early blower motor and 2.0 engine. (the engine isn't related just the harness used)
The relay board is a 71 with the normal green wire jumper on the 12 pin connector--pin 10 jumpers to 11 and sticks out as shown in photo previous.
My fan turns on when applying power and seems to have the ground already there instead of through the heater lever. so i'm looking for the ground and will find power from the relay board. an extra pin connector with wiring helps.
ThinAir
QUOTE(etcmss @ Jun 1 2012, 03:55 AM) *

I'm working on this today. A 71 body and harness, early blower motor and 2.0 engine. (the engine isn't related just the harness used)
The relay board is a 71 with the normal green wire jumper on the 12 pin connector--pin 10 jumpers to 11 and sticks out as shown in photo previous.
My fan turns on when applying power and seems to have the ground already there instead of through the heater lever. so i'm looking for the ground and will find power from the relay board. an extra pin connector with wiring helps.

I've got the same issue on my 73 2.0L. I had no fan, but had 2 leads coming out of the harness where it seemed clear that one was meanth to connect. I installed a fan, attached the wires, and the fan powered on even though the heater control was in the off position. I've completely disconnected the wire from the heater control, and it still behaves the same way, so it means there's a ground somewhere else. I haven't managed to track it down yet and have considered just running new wires to a separate switch since I'd really rather be able to turn the fan on/off independent of the lever.
r3dplanet
By the time I finally got to matching up the parts I actually had, then answer finally shoved its way through my gray matter. But I doubt this will solve anyone's issue but mine unless you made the same mistake I made.

The mistake I made was ordering the wrong ignition harness. My car is a '71, but when I found out halfway through the re-wiring that I had a '73 engine I started buying '73 harnesses. So I ended up with a '71 injection harness and a '73 ignition harness. There's nothing wrong with this combo except that it precisely left me without fan hookup.

So the green jumper in the 12-point ignition harness? Unnecessary in my case. Pin 11 should power the fan. Adding a jumper to pin 10 is worthless because on an early car like mine pin 10 goes to the Sportomatic (vaporware) transmission. So in reality pin 10 goes nowhere unless you have a '73 and later model.

So I just opened up the connector and pulled the jumper. I de-soldered the connectors from the jumper, and re-soldered one connector to a new 3' length of green 12 gauge wire. From there it was a quick connection to the fan.

And then, for the first time in probably decades, the heater fan worked.

Photos:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

(Yes, I'll tape these up).

I still don't know what the mystery wire is for...

-marcus

falconfp2001
Hey Marcus,

I'd like to take those block-off plates off your hands? The ones to block off the heater hoses since I'm planning on removing all heat from the car.

Congrats on the fix.
r3dplanet
Certainly. It will be a week or so before I have my tubes and what-not all ready to go. PM your coordinates and I'll send them along.

etcmss
got delayed on my repair due to hot water heater failure.
so after reading the new info above i did the same. removed the jumper from 10 to 11, added the green pin connector to 11 and ran it to the fan "+", added the ground, plugged in the connector and walllllllah it works. 10 minutes
Its a 71 body and wiring with a 2.0 engine and this is the fix. Thanks for figuring it out for me (and probably many others).
Gary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.