Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trouble with new cap, rotor n wires....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlo914
The distributor on my teener is an 022, the main question is which wire goes to which cylinder? being the smart-ass headbang.gif i was i forgot to label before removing the old cap...here's a diagram ive drew out:
dlo914
the firing order i got from work (autozone) was 1 3 4 2 in a clockwise rotation...is this correct?
eeyore
The order is 1-4-3-2. It should be stamped into the right side (3 & 4) cooling tin above the fan housing, if you have stock tin.
dlo914
1 4 3 2 that's what i originally thought and saw in the haynes manual...
dlo914
current set up i got off my buddies teener....
Root_Werks
Just about all 4cyl's are 1-4-3-2, yep 914's are clockwise. Looks like your last diagrahm is correct. wink.gif
dlo914
she still doesnt fire up.... mad.gif
Joe Ricard
Did you put the rotor in? I forget this all the time.
dlo914
yup i sure did install the rotor.... clap56.gif
sanman
the dizzy shaft could be 180 off. pull the plug bring the # one up and see where the rotor points. my car was like this wink.gif
Root_Werks
When you crank over the engine, does it: turn, turn, stop, turn turn, stop? That would be a signal you are 180 off. If so, try moving your plug wires all 2 spaces clockwise.

Does it even pop or fart at all? Wondering if you have spark?

You running points? <_<
dlo914
QUOTE(sanman @ Oct 14 2004, 09:56 AM)
the dizzy shaft could be 180 off. pull the plug bring the # one up and see where the rotor points. my car was like this wink.gif

lame-men terms.... laugh.gif
dlo914
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 14 2004, 10:08 AM)
When you crank over the engine, does it: turn, turn, stop, turn turn, stop? That would be a signal you are 180 off. If so, try moving your plug wires all 2 spaces clockwise.

Does it even pop or fart at all? Wondering if you have spark?

You running points? dry.gif

i let the engine crank about 3 times and then i just stop... previous orders it's popped n farted....
SLITS
Ok, It's easier to do this if you have an assistant

1.) Pull the #1 plug.

2.) Pull the screw cap off the blower housing so you can see timing marks.

3.) Stick your finger in the #1 spark plug hole and have someone bump the engine with the starter. When you feel pressure you are on the compression stroke. If you can catch it as it is building compression and before it goes past TDC, put a wrench on the alt nut and rotate the engine until the TDC mark is lined up with the blower housing timing reference.

4.) Pull the dizzy cap and see where the rotor is pointed - where ever it is pointed is #1 cylinder at TDC. Make sure one of the poles of the dizzy cap is located in the same spot and plug #1 wire in. In a clockwise rotation plug the other wires in in sequence (4,3,2).

Oh, disconnect the hot lead to the coil before you do this, otherwise you could get a shock. Make sure you reconnect it to start.

If it doesn't fire, check the point gap. Check that you have fuel to the injectors. Check that the plug is seated on the side of the dizzy (trigger points). Check that you have the green wire on the correct pole of the coil - negative)
sanman
this mean your distributor shaft could be installed 180 degrees off from its originnal position. you would need to find top dead center for the #1 piston to determin this do you need help finding top dead center?
sanman
it does not matter if he move the wires 2 spaces clock wise or counter clockwise the end up in the same place biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(sanman @ Oct 14 2004, 10:53 AM)
it does not matter if he move the wires 2 spaces clock wise or counter clockwise the end up in the same place biggrin.gif

:finger2: Yeah yeah. Don't forget to turn around three times while hoping on one foot each time before you try to start it. That also helps. If all else fails, get out the universal 914 tool. smash.gif It pretty much solves the current problem. biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Oct 14 2004, 09:21 AM)
the firing order i got from work (autozone) was 1 3 4 2 in a clockwise rotation...is this correct?

"Autozone" ? You get a genuine Bosch cap and rotor? Beru plug wires? You need to do that. Other brands just don't get with the program.
#1 is marked on the distributor body with a little "hash mark", right on the lip. The Cap'n
Root_Werks
Yeah, sounds like you could be stuck in the "zone"? laugh.gif Don't trust local parts stores for advise on these cars or parts unless they are Bosch or other quality parts. Part of the problem might be right there? <_<
SLITS
Today's FLAPs - if it ain't in the computer I can't tell ya and that assumes they can read in the first place.
dlo914
i got the cap, rotor, wires, n plugs from Source autoparts in Pasadena....autozone doesnt have jack :finger2: crap for our teeners except some wheel bearings...and non bosch items
sanman
dlo914 is it running let us know something boldblue.gif
dlo914
current set up...symptons: starts ups normally, but it doesnt hold it's rpm and dies out...and it doesnt rev freely... sad.gif
dlo914
clockwise or counter-clockwise?
sanman
its prolly a timing problem now. if it ran fine at first try setting the timing or moving the plug wires over one more time looks like you moved them one space clockwise instead of two
dlo914
sigh...the only reason why im changing out these electrical parts is because one night i got bored and drove around, but i forgot to clamp down the battery. And long story short the battery did some tumbling and creamed one of the spark plug wires. drove home either with 3 cylinders firing...now i think it could be a vacuum problem... sad.gif
dlo914
me miss her already headbang.gif ...endless love obsession that started 2 months ago....sigh.... wub.gif
dlo914
fellow teeners with 1.8 FI could i get a few engine snapshots?
dlo914
damn rain havent had a chance to work on her...but i think only 3 of the 4 cylinders are firing...if some would just use the diagram ive made and just link up the cylinders with the proper spots on the dizzy...i'll gladly treat you to lunch! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.