Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have a step by step for adjusting the tail shift linkage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
I installed my redneck shift bar last night. It went right in and does not look to bad.

After a lot of "futzing" I think I have the front to rear throw pretty close. My problem is side to side gates. Reverse and first are way to the left, 2-3 is pretty close, 4-5 is a mystery. It's like the shifter itself hits its movement limit on the passenger side before I can grab the 4-5 gate. I built a fairly detailed jig for building this thing, and I am very confident that it is indexed correctly front to rear.

Can anyone pass on a step by step for a tail shifer?

My knees and back are sore from all the time spent crouched over the coupling access between the seats!

Thanks!
Scott S
Mike Bellis
It starts with "remove tail shift transmission and replace with side shifter." biggrin.gif

Look in the classic threads.
falconfp2001
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 1 2012, 09:00 AM) *

It starts with "remove tail shift transmission and replace with side shifter." biggrin.gif

Look in the classic threads.

agree.gif

But then you have to get the complete linkage, Motor mount bar and mounts. Then the special firewall bushing.
Scott S
Ha!
Nope - aint gonna happen. My transmission is in fantastic shape/shifts great. The only reason I messed with it was the -6 conversion.
Dr Evil
PM me your email and I will send you the 31 pages of notes with the instructions in it. The link is not working on the site right now.
smj
If it helps, anybody using Linux or a Mac should be able to do this from the command line. Be sure to specify an output filename, and don't forget to use single quotes around the URL.

smj@heavy$ wget -O Trans_vid_sup_COMPLT.pdf 'http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=218669'
--2012-06-03 14:15:36-- http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=218669
Resolving www.914world.com... 204.195.76.201
Connecting to www.914world.com|204.195.76.201|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 203963 (199K) [application/pdf]
Saving to: “Trans_vid_sup_COMPLT.pdf”

100%[======================================>] 203,963 346K/s in 0.6s

2012-06-03 14:15:36 (346 KB/s) - “Trans_vid_sup_COMPLT.pdf” saved [203963/203963]

smj@heavy$ file Trans_vid_sup_COMPLT.pdf
Trans_vid_sup_COMPLT.pdf: PDF document, version 1.4
smj@heavy$

You could use curl too - I think that's included with OS X by default...

smj@heavy$ curl -o foo.pdf 'http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=218669'
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 199k 100 199k 0 0 275k 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 279k
smj@heavy$ file foo.pdf
foo.pdf: PDF document, version 1.4
smj@heavy$
Dr Evil
It appears that I can load it? confused24.gif
Scott S
Hi Doc -
I just went through your document (KILLER stuff...). Thanks SO much.

I do have one quick question - in the adjustment section, page 10, point #2 you state to loosen the pinch bolt under the stick shift. Are you referring to the pinch bolt that is located in the access hole that is between the seats? Or is there another one under the actual stick shift?

I only undid the pinch bolt that was between the seats. I did this only to replace the bushing while doing the -6 conversion. I have never touched anything under the shifter, and as stated above, my car shifted really well - even though it is a tail shift.

Thanks Doc!
mepstein
QUOTE(Scott S @ Jun 4 2012, 12:40 PM) *

Hi Doc -
I just went through your document (KILLER stuff...). Thanks SO much.

I do have one quick question - in the adjustment section, page 10, point #2 you state to loosen the pinch bolt under the stick shift. Are you referring to the pinch bolt that is located in the access hole that is between the seats? Or is there another one under the actual stick shift?

I only undid the pinch bolt that was between the seats. I did this only to replace the bushing while doing the -6 conversion. I have never touched anything under the shifter, and as stated above, my car shifted really well - even though it is a tail shift.

Thanks Doc!

Scott - I just r & r'd the shifter on my '71 and there is no pinch bolt under the shifter. Took a look at a shifter from a '75 and there's a pinch bolt. So there are 2 different shifters. I had to loosen a cone screw so I could get to the bushing that is held in to a bracket in the tunnel right in front of the shift lever. Mark
luskesq
On my '70 tail shifter there is a pinch bolt accessible through the coverplate just before the firewall. It can be adjusted (wouldn't require much) to affect the issue you are having.

Keith
jimkelly
early style = tail shift --- shifter

kmwvmarip
Could be just a dope, but I can't get that .pdf to download for the life of me. I tried work, home and other browsers.
Dr Evil
Scott, the guys handled the explanation. Is that clear?

As for the PDF download, I have no idea why it stopped working. If anyone needs a copy, just PM me your email and I will be glad to send you one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.