Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where is the ground found? Down? Open ground in the 10 round.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pnewman
Doing final assembly of my 914 teener and taking care of odds and ends....

Where is this ground suppost to be located?[u] idea.gif

?negative battery terminal? confused24.gif

I have an open ground. in the harness i.e. no ground from my harness over my tunnel that supplies the:

Center console gauge cluster and heater blower light sign on the tunnel.
as well as the interior back pad light (which only works in the door switch selection) when it is supplied ground via the door jamb switches:

i.e. per the wiring diagram the same ground for all of the above is disconnected.

per the schematic the ground for all of these is to originate in
"10 / ground connection engine compartment"

see current track 62 from the schematic.

Thanks in advance for the help
SirAndy
QUOTE(pnewman @ Jun 1 2012, 07:04 PM) *
"10 / ground connection engine compartment"

There's a large ground connection in the engine compartment on the sidewall under the relay board.
It has several ground wires coming out of the main harness.

I'd check that one first ...
idea.gif
Mike Bellis
The schematic shows it attached to grounding point A. Not sure where that is. Either above the fuse panel or under relay board.
Valy
One of the screws that hold the heater light should ground the brown wire of the center console. Look at the bulb holder and you'll see that one hole has a metal sleeve.
pnewman
QUOTE(Valy @ Jun 1 2012, 08:30 PM) *

One of the screws that hold the heater light should ground the brown wire of the center console. Look at the bulb holder and you'll see that one hole has a metal sleeve.

By Joe!

I did just install a center console where one wasn't before!!!!!!

Eurica! cheer.gif

I will check the harness under the and around the relay board.

I Know that if I indeed do ground the brown heater light wire to the tunnel all will be resolved.

Thinkin' about doing that makes me wonder what happened to the:
"10(in the circle) engine compartment ground." per schematic and if their is anything else that might be headed south there too with a bad ground etc.

Thanks for pointing out the missed relocated ground wire with the loop (i.e. screwed to grounded metal.) headbang.gif Drrr
toolguy
There is also a wiring loop behind the rear backrest panel that is for the heated rear window, that brown ground should be the same as the ground for the light. . if you see it laying there, check that brown for continuity. . . I believe the actual ground terminal is to the one by the fuse panel. . . You can also look in the wiring harness on top of the tunnel as it goes past the right of the shifter, find the brown lead and test it there.
pnewman
So.

I went ahead and looked at the ground bundle under the engine compartment circuit board. It looked good. When I re-did the engine compartment 2 - 3 years ago I cleaned this up plus the harness to it and put di-electric grease and anti-vibration washers etc. SO IT IS GOOD.

The I put a jumper wire between the heater fan light ground loop terminal and the hole that it used to be screwed into with a sheet metal screw before the installation of the center console and as we thought ALL IS WELL NOW.

I still believe that their probably is a bad wire or a connection between the harness at the back pad and the harness at the circuit board but with everything working perfectly I refuse to cut open the harness in the engine compartment as well as below it and dig around. Just my 2 cents.

I will examin the harness more closely behind the passenger seat near the seat belt relay / now jumper and look there for issues as my parking break warning light is not working. hmmmm. The ground switch and the lead to it were good upon re-installation. But perhaps that is another thread.

Thanks.
pnewman
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jun 2 2012, 05:40 AM) *

There is also a wiring loop behind the rear backrest panel that is for the heated rear window, that brown ground should be the same as the ground for the light. . if you see it laying there, check that brown for continuity. . . I believe the actual ground terminal is to the one by the fuse panel. . . You can also look in the wiring harness on top of the tunnel as it goes past the right of the shifter, find the brown lead and test it there.

I did find one ground wire loop behind the passenger seat and it was perfect and the problem still existed. hmmm. must be for a different purpose / or it is broken in the 10" or so from it to the center console that I can't see. hmmm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.