Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SCCA class change
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Anybody!!! Please explain what this means to me and the rest of the cone killers here.
Didn't see the Street prepared class for us. Does this help or hurt? I am running CSP so will this push me to ESP? This is where the Mustang Cobras and Firebirds run!!!! Damn glad I am moving up to the 2.0L... Big cam big, carb, New Kumho V700's Springs torsion bars and big swaybars. "Hang on this is what fast driving is".

SOLO II STOCK CATEGORY
• Per the SAC, the following class change proposals (effective 1/1/2005) have been recommended in the form below to the BOD:
ITEM 1: Move from BS to AS: Porsche Boxster non-S, Honda S2000 (’00-’03), BMW Z4 (all)
ITEM 2: Move from CS to ES: Mazda Miata 1.8 (’94-’97), BMW Z3 4-cyl
• The following previously-published class change proposals have been withdrawn:
Move from CS to ES: Porsche 914 1.7, 1.8, 2.0
Move from GS to DS: Mini Cooper S (‘02+)
• The proposal to remove the Porsche GT3 from the Stock exclusion list and add it to SS is still under discussion.

SOLO II STRET PREPARED CATEGORY
• The following previously-published class change proposals have been withdrawn:
Move from ESP to BSP: Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru WRX Sti
jdogg
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 14 2004, 04:55 PM)
Anybody!!! Please explain what this means to me and the rest of the cone killers here.
Didn't see the Street prepared class for us. Does this help or hurt? I am running CSP so will this push me to ESP? This is where the Mustang Cobras and Firebirds run!!!! Damn glad I am moving up to the 2.0L... Big cam big, carb, New Kumho V700's Springs torsion bars and big swaybars. "Hang on this is what fast driving is".

SOLO II STOCK CATEGORY
• Per the SAC, the following class change proposals (effective 1/1/2005) have been recommended in the form below to the BOD:
ITEM 1: Move from BS to AS: Porsche Boxster non-S, Honda S2000 (’00-’03), BMW Z4 (all)
ITEM 2: Move from CS to ES: Mazda Miata 1.8 (’94-’97), BMW Z3 4-cyl
Move from CS to ES: Porsche 914 1.7, 1.8, 2.0
Move from GS to DS: Mini Cooper S (‘02+)
• The proposal to remove the Porsche GT3 from the Stock exclusion list and add it to SS is still under discussion.

SOLO II STRET PREPARED CATEGORY
Move from ESP to BSP: Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru WRX Sti

[QUOTE]

It appears by this that that proposal to move to ES was dropped.....Looks like it is still CS for the 914.

Big cam???? Forget CS or CSP, welcome to SM2!!!!!
Joe Ricard
SM2? Maybe so, Guess that opens up the options for all the other hotrod parts for these cars.

My car only looks fast biggrin.gif The driver sucks blink.gif

Good thing I am only starting out in this hobby of SOLO II. Otherwise I might be pissing and moaning.. as it is I am just trying to understand. Pissing and moaning will come by the end of next season.
anthony
Is there any PCA sponsored autocross in your area? I find it to be much more fun than SCCA.
GaroldShaffer
Correct me if I am wrong, but this wouldn't apply to those of us running in CSP. Since we run in a prepared (I run CSP also) class. There is a motion to move all Porsche 914s in CSP to DSP, this was in the last issue of Sports Car magazine (green section page 14 I think). At this point I really don't care, I just want to run around the cones. driving.gif burnout.gif w00t.gif
Joe Ricard
itsa914. I am with you 100%.

So can you share with me by PM if you want what you have in your car? Engine wise suspension seats interior. all that stuff. I was just studing the CSP and stock rules. Now I am real confused. wacko.gif

Seems Like I am screwing my self putting a 120 HP motor in my car. Where the Mazda RX-7 that I normally run against make 180.

Then I got the wild idea from someone here to replace my front motor mounts with plastic from a cutting board. Is it solid or not.????
GaroldShaffer
My car is a 1970 with stock front & rear sway bar (I did disconnect the rear bar), 19mm master cylinder, koni adjustables all around, euro spec 75 2.0L motor & side shift trans, and I use Falken tires. My interior is stock, for now cool_shades.gif I do take the seat bottom out, helps keep my butt from moving. I was told that because of euro spec motor I had to run CSP instead of CS. confused24.gif

It really doesn't matter to me since we are a small region, usually about 30 cars at a event of which 4 might be in CSP. I hold my own with the CS Miata crowd as well as the other CSP cars.

-Garold

edit: I run the konis set at full firm front & rear and the tires at 40psi.
GaroldShaffer
My car wub.gif
Joe Ricard
Isn't it interesting how these cars have been "upgraded" over the last 35 years.

Well your car is way more stock than mine. I was put in CSP because of the suspension mods. Certainly wasn't the 80 hp 1.7L motor.

Should be interesting to see what this car will do now. Wish I had some Euro pistons. instead I have 2.0L Bus pistons. (they were cheap). I have a side shift as well.

Need to sell the Harley and build up the 1.7L W case.
brant
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 15 2004, 06:38 AM)

Seems Like I am screwing my self putting a 120 HP motor in my car. Where the Mazda RX-7 that I normally run against make 180.

15 years ago I learned this lesson the hard way in another venue....

thats why everyone says "read the rule book first"

I put a street cam into my street motor.. local region used classess 1 through 16.

the 5hp cam bumped me from class 3 into class 14.
talk about un gunned.
also I didn't know how to drive very well back then so I was really a moving chicane...

when I started club racing with that car they put me into GT5 due to the cam.

I was on an airport track once with Martin Snow.
He had brought his Semi tractor trailer with 2-3 cars.
he was driving a 4wheel drive twin turbo 911 with 650hp (full race car)...

I was driving my 105hp 914 nearly stock 2.0

I swear to this day that when he lapped me he was going 100mph faster than I was (even in the corners)

It was a 12 lap sprint race
he won..
I only completed 9 laps before the checker

brant
Joe Ricard
Yea, too bad I can't bring certified Dyno numbers to the rule makers and class breakers. I bet it is very difficult to drive forward when constatly looking in your rear view mirror trying to stay out of the way.

So here is a question for the real engine builders. What can be put down HP wise for an engine that can stay within class. For instance CSP
brant
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 15 2004, 08:36 AM)
I bet it is very difficult to drive forward when constatly looking in your rear view mirror trying to stay out of the way.

Not answering your question...
but I learned, you should not try to drive to stay out of anyones way... Drive your own line, and then its more predictable for the fast guy to guess where you will be moving....

fast guys like in my example have no problem passing off line....

a scary thing I learned that day in that race (when I had the 550hp deficit) The fast guy wants to make sure you see him in your mirrors... So he never approaches in your blind spot. On the straight away I would be going 80mph and Martin Snow would approach me at 160-170 straight from behind... Looked like he was going to ram me.. At the very last second he would dart out and barely pull to my side just shooting around the bumper... SCAREY

b
anthony
Next time, maybe it would be easier to not mention the 5hp cam!

With the new GGR points based rules that they are supposedly putting in place one is no longer severely penalized for a single change like a cam.
brant
I totally agree...

unfortunately PCA club racing rules are not point based and they have a rule that if any internal modification to the engine is done anywhere between the intake port-to-exhaust port, then it automatically moves the car into a GT class....

brant
J P Stein
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 14 2004, 12:55 PM)
 Damn glad I am moving up to the 2.0L...   Big cam big, carb, New Kumho V700's Springs torsion bars and big swaybars.     "Hang on this is what fast driving is".

Welcome to F Prepared....got any slicks? biggrin.gif....tho there may be some Street Mod class that will fit.

Very few internal engine mods are allowed in the SP classes.
You can blueprint and do a slight (1mm) over bore.....thas it

The SCCA is "funny". All them guys that win at the Nationals are in some region. It's kinda like having Tiger Woods in your foursome.......he'd be fun to watch, but you ain't gonna be competitive. <_<

Their classes are structured to keep "popular" cars at the top of classes. There are those that will argue this point, but the writing is on the wall.....see the results at the Nats.

When you get into the Prepared and Modified classes, things change. Money and peparation....drivers being equal...begin to tell.

I run with em' and have fun......tho it's production line AXing.
I've never seen less than 100 drivers at an SCCA event localy....often more than 150. It's capped at 175 drivers here.....and it happens.
Joe Ricard
Street mod F prepared. Definately not C street. C street Prepared. Nobody will complain till I take thier trophy. That will be awhile rolleyes.gif

Dang....... 175 cars???? We barely get 50. last event Satruday there was 30. Had 2 sessions 4 runs each. I had tires changed cleaned up, gassed up and on Bourbon street by 4:30.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.