Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another day and another question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
When installing new PushRod seals, do I have to drain the oil? Or is it below the level of the pushrods.>>

OK OK Don't laugh so hard, I'm still a shade tree not so good mechanic! biggrin.gif
jcd914
Unless you have the car sitting at a significant angle or have it overfilled, you should not need to drain the oil.

Jim

Bleyseng
I do cuz its quite the mess IF or When it does drain out....and you might as well do a complete maintanence...adjust valves, change oil, filter, sparkplugs etc while you change the seals....
bandjoey
Un..Yeah...that's the problem...I justl changed the oil, adjusted the valves, plugs, timing everything and THEN one of the pushrods starts leading on a big drip...one blue papertowel full of drips overnight, so it's time to do the seals. chair.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Just drain the oil into a clean container and reuse it. Clean around the drain plug first. When you have a cylinder on tdc, remove the rocker shaft nuts on that cylinder and remove the rocker assy. Then you can pull those tubes out a few inches, and replace the seals. I use a little wheel bearing grease on the seals. Reinsert the tubes with a twisting motion so you dont cut it. Replace the rockers and torque the nuts. Your adjustment should not change. repeat the process for all four cylinders, then recheck all the adjustment. you might have to readjust a couple. Its a suck job, but it can be done with good results.
Dave_Darling
No need to drain the oil.

You might as well re-check the valve adjustment, because you'll have the rocker arms off. And since you'll be setting each cylinder to TDC in order to torque the rocker stand nuts, that's an easy opportunity to check the valve adjustment on that cylinder.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.