Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Karting Schools
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PatW
Thinking about going to the Jim Russell Karting school at Sears Point. Has anyone done this school or one like it?. 350$ for a day seems expensive up front. Or should I just keep going to Lemans Karting in Fremont. Best lap was 23.6 last friday
MDB2.gif
Joe Bob
Different teachers, different course, different philosphies.....why not go for it? What's the down side?
Curvie Roadlover
If the Russell school has shifter karts then $350 is a good price. Also, I used to race karts for years, but never drove Sears Point. I've been there though and that would be a GREAT track to drive a kart at. LeMans Karting uses 4 cycle engines is it not? 4 cycle karts are horribly slow compared to 2 cycle, especially shifter karts. You really need to get behind the wheel of a shifter kart. There is no better bang for your buck in all of racing. The first time I drove a shifter was at Mid-Ohio Sportscar Course. It took 2 weeks to get the smile off my face, and that was after 4 years of racing a Yamaha 2 stroke kart. What a rush!!
Zeke
I think Jim Hall II school in Oxnard, CA is the best. He started the kart school concept over 20 years ago. Youhave to complete a one day course in a slip clutch kart (one gear) before you can drive a shifter kart.

I drove kart for 30 years and have never driven a shifter. I went plenty fast and won enough trophies in the other classes. But the younger drivers who were weaned on extreme sports all want to drive shifters. When you get done driving both, you decide. The shifter guys are real busy in the seat leaving little time to develope a better line and braking techniques, IMO. In fact, at the road race courses, the shifters use a different line and used to get in my way on corner exits. They accelerate faster, so they don't care as much about pinching the line at the apex. I think karts teach you how to roll free through the turns. It's all about being smooth.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(Zeke @ May 11 2003, 06:20 AM)
The shifter guys are real busy in the seat leaving little time to develope a better line and braking techniques, IMO. In fact, at the road race courses, the shifters use a different line and used to get in my way on corner exits. They accelerate faster, so they don't care as much about pinching the line at the apex. I think karts teach you how to roll free through the turns. It's all about being smooth.

That's true, Milt. After having driven the centrifugal clutch karts for so long, one of the things I loved about shifters was that, in a single gear kart if you screwed up a corned you sometimes payed for it for a whole lap, whereas in a shifter kart, if you blew a corner you only payed for it until the next corner. Something else, though to consider. Here in the mid-west shifter karts are the most popular class and run with the biggest fields. Running with alot of traffic is a good learning experience, IMO compared to some of the less popular classes where the karts get pretty spread out during the race and you end up sometimes with no one around you to dice with.
ss6
Dumb question, guys, but what are the demographics in karting? Is it mostly teens and twentysomethings, or is there an old-fart contingent as well. Looks like a hell of a lot of fun.
Curvie Roadlover
I would say, mostly teens and twentysomeihings, but there is representation in all age groups. It's a sport where brains usually wins out over brawn.
PatW
QUOTE(Zeke @ May 11 2003, 06:20 AM)
I think Jim Hall II school in Oxnard, CA is the best. He started the kart school concept over 20 years ago. Youhave to complete a one day course in a slip clutch kart (one gear) before you can drive a shifter kart.

I looked the Jim Hall School. Looks like fun with much track time involved. Also like the two-day option. 80cc first then 125 shifters. Might have to take a drive to LA!

Pat
Zeke
QUOTE(ss6 @ May 11 2003, 08:32 AM)
Dumb question, guys, but what are the demographics in karting? Is it mostly teens and twentysomethings, or is there an old-fart contingent as well. Looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

I won the CA State Championship for drivers over 40 at age 41. I'm 57 now and wouldn't attempt it. Lay down enduro karts can be driven by anyone who is alert enough to go that fast. Not that much physical effort involved. You do take a pounding though. I quit at 47 due to a neck injury that happened at work. It's hard to go back. I built my 914 as a substitute. As the Eagles said, "You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave."
PatW
QUOTE(Zeke @ May 11 2003, 10:10 AM)

I won the CA State Championship for drivers over 40 at age 41. I'm 57 now and wouldn't attempt it.

What was the grid like with you were running?. How many other drivers were out there with you?.
I'm almost 40. . Starting off would I be running with the kids or with old-dudes? I'm sure there is a novice class, I hope. unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.