Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spotted at Porsche Sport Driving School...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
clapeza
Just got back from the Porsche Sport Driving School at Barber Motorsports Park where I had an amazing time. First morning, what do I see, but a 914!

Click to view attachment

Alas, it wasn't one of the cars we got to drive. sad.gif

We had to settle for new 991s and the new Boxsters. They just refreshed the Boxster supply last week, and we were only the second class to get to drive them. Amazing cars.

Click to view attachment

The real treat was getting to meet and get taught by Hurley Haywood himself! I had the daunting task of trying to learn heel-toe with him in the passenger seat. No pressure there at all...

Click to view attachment

I had an unbelievable time. I'm still trying to process everything. Definitely want to go back. If you're on the fence about going, just GO! You won't regret it.

Chester
cary
That's way to cool.
Eric_Shea
Beyond cool. Lifetime moment I'd say.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 3 2012, 08:24 AM) *

Beyond cool. Lifetime moment I'd say.

agree.gif To be in the same car as Hurley Haywood would be beyond cool. To have him instructing? aktion035.gif
clapeza
After a bit of instruction from another instructor and Hurley, we went out on the track area, a bit of a slalom course, first as a passenger, then as the driver. Watching Hurley demonstrate it was something akin to the fancy footwork of Fred Astaire meshed with the butter-smooth motion of a Penn and Teller card trick. Such perfectly timed and subtly smooth motion, that any specific action was imperceptible.

Then it was my turn.

The car was a Cayman S Black Edition. We start out heading towards a sweeping curve to the left, Hurley egging on the acceleration. At about 50+mph, I'm supposed to do the following:

Hit the brakes hard for a three-count, a second before we enter the curve. Then engage the clutch, shift, roll my right foot onto the accelerator to blip the throttle, release the clutch, then accelerate, just as we clear the apex. All while clearing the cones and lining up for the slalom section of the run. Then another curve, with a varying radius. Same drill.

I felt like I was back in junior high, stepping on my dates toes again and again...

Fortunately, Mr. Haywood was more understanding then my date was so many years ago.

We made several laps, and he fine tuned my actions and timing so that I got a little better. I still have quite a way to go, but I got the basics, I think. He was always supportive, never harsh or short-tempered.

Yes, a lifetime moment!

Chester
seanery
MDB2.gif clap23.gif
stuttgart46
That new Boxster is smoking. What a great looking car.
KELTY360
This is probably not the last time you'll be telling this story....WOW!

Loved the 914 pic. Love that clean look of body colored bumpers. Makes it look like the teener is smiling. smile.gif
ezbngreen914
That 914 was in the museum when I did the PSDS. Nice to see it gets to see the road every once in a while. I wander if Mr. Haywood had something to do with that. beerchug.gif
ezbngreen914
Click to view attachment
clapeza
I heard the reason they pulled it out was to play a joke on one of the participants. Everyone else got a Carrera S, this one guy gets a 914... At least they put the PSDS lettering on the side! It was back in the museum by the end of the day.

They did take it out on the track, but I don't think it was Mr. Haywood driving. If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Barber drove it. I think our class had a couple special guests among us.

Chester

QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Jun 4 2012, 04:13 PM) *

That 914 was in the museum when I did the PSDS. Nice to see it gets to see the road every once in a while. I wander if Mr. Haywood had something to do with that. beerchug.gif

infraredcalvin
Nice! I'd love to do the Porsche school sometime... Keep practicing the heel toe in your car as well works in all kinds of driving situations, I do it in all manual shift cars, keeps me used to it. Just be prepared for a ricer to think you're up for a challenge whe he hears the blip. blink.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(clapeza @ Jun 2 2012, 11:14 AM) *

The real treat was getting to meet and get taught by Hurley Haywood himself! I had the daunting task of trying to learn heel-toe with him in the passenger seat. No pressure there at all...

I'd have been speechless. Awesome!
Krieger
I'm very jealous. What a great experience. beer3.gif
bcheney
Great story and great track so I've been told. What was the cost of the school...or is it one of those if you have to ask you can't afford kinda deals?
clapeza
The two-day course costs $3200, the one day course is $1800. The accommodations at Ross Bridge Resort cost $200 a night.

Lots of cash, but worth every penny. The instructors said several times, "You spent big bucks to be here, so we want to make sure you get your money's worth!"
Chris Pincetich
drooley.gif
pray.gif
first.gif
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.