Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey, I'm on Jake's site
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Just checked the RAT site and saw that Jake added a racing page. Few of us have our own page there.

Gotta do a little write up about the car, I hate writing, I'd rather draw something or build it.

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/Racing/...bloom/index.htm
Jake Raby
Yep...

We are adding MASSIVE pages to the site, but don't check the site just yet as its still under heavy reconstruction and no captios are added to the pics and all my base engines are not uploaded yet..

Give us through the end of the weekend and you'll be amazed.

BTW, Dave I need that write up- yesterday!
ArtechnikA
hey, cool deal !

looking at the oil coolers....

you've got the crossover hose at the top... that means that no matter which way the oil is flowing (i can't tell from the picture...) you've got the exit at the bottom - that will tend to collect air bubbles in whichever cooler has the bottom exit.

IMO - the crossover should go from top exit to bottom entry, so you always introduce the oil on the bottom and extract it at the top. that'll keep one cooler from filling up with a big bubble and reducing its effectiveness.

i still think two coolers should be plumbed in parallel rather than series, but do whatever is working for you. in at the bottom and out at the top no matter tho...

but of course - it's your car, do what you want; i'm just trying to help you make it work better....
machina
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Oct 14 2004, 06:42 PM)
collect air bubbles in whichever cooler has the bottom exit

The right cooler is the exit. Not sure what you mean by "collect air bubbles"

I think I'll at least start the motor and see how she runs with a damn close eye on temps and pressures. (and redundant guages)

Now that you say it, the left cooler is in at the bottom, out at the top and the right one is in at the top and out at the bottom.

Since I don't have a dry sump, I was concerned about the stock pump being able to lift all that hose distance to and from the coolers.

I will definitely note your recommendation, thanks.
MattR
One of the pics on jake's site shows the trunk of the race car with a coil in it. Why is that?

And, where is the battery?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Oct 14 2004, 02:51 PM)
Not sure what you mean by "collect air bubbles"

in a wet sump engine i don't think the oil on the pressure side is as free of entrained air as we'd like. it's not as foamy as scavenge oil in a dry sump, that's for sure.

and with side fittings, it's not as big a deal.

but air bubbles will tend to rise to the top of the cooler, reducing its effectiveness because where there's air, there isn't oil... if the exit is at the top where the air wants to collect, it'll be swept from the system and won't accumulate.

the worst case is when both fittings are on the bottom. in all the other orientations, having the exit at top is best.
brant
Looks VERY nice...

I'd love to hear about the trunk coil too...
is it for air flow purposes, or heat to the coil?

did you trim all the sides off of the engine tin...
Looks very nice, very clean...

p.s. must be hard to shift in that one photo

brant
Tom Perso
I made Jake's site as well... Just letting the world know what a stand-up guy he is.

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/custome...erso/index.html

Some people may not agree with him or like him, but he's a hell of a good guy in my book.

Later,
Tom
Jake Raby
The rear trunk of my 914 is filled with my accusump, oil filters, Hyfire box with Safeguard knock retard system as well as the coil and even the engine breather box..

In the floor of the trunk I have cut a nice hole and tig welded an aluminum shroud to force air through my double Setrab oil cooler as well. The trunk looks like something out of an F 18...

The targa top still fits though!
machina
QUOTE(brant @ Oct 14 2004, 07:03 PM)
I'd love to hear about the trunk coil too...
is it for air flow purposes, or heat to the coil?

yes the shifting, knew I forgot something.

The deal with the coil is just to get it out of the engine bay to keep thins uncluttered. Also, its not exposed to as much heat, Used a bulkhead fitting in the floor of the trunk and the wire from the coil to the dizzy has a pretty nice straight run.

Just hope the wires to the coil from the hyfire box are not too long.

The ignition box is inside to the drivers right.

Also going to mount the breather tank in the trunk.
Jake Raby
Man, that sure is a clean race car.....

After a year of hard knocks I would like to compare pics.... monkeydance.gif
SpecialK
David, what kind of heads are you running? Looks a lot easier to install/remove the exhaust with the flanges out in the open like that.

VERY clean car you've got there! pray.gif
URY914
Exhaust stub pipes. Only about 2" long with flanges on both ends.

I have them on my car too but it isn't as clean as Dave's so you can't see them.

Car was awarded the Good Housekeeping Seal.

biggrin.gif PAul
machina
QUOTE(Special_K @ Oct 14 2004, 09:30 PM)
David, what kind of heads are you running? Looks a lot easier to install/remove the exhaust with the flanges out in the open like that.

They are 2 litre 3 stud heads, Len at HAM did the work on them.

The stubs are from Triad. Not as nice as the ones chris makes but they do the job.
brant
Jake,

certainly a lot of people will disagree with me..
but its always been my practice in building 914 race cars to keep all weight possible out of the rear trunk. (for corner balancing purposes)

I know there are cost and weight penalities for plumbing etc, but we always mounted coolers and accusumps in the front trunk for better Center of Gravity and better weight distribution..

however I know that some times packaging limitations require convenience...

NOT Trying to sound negative
AWESOME cars fellas!!!

brant
machina
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 14 2004, 07:35 PM)
The rear trunk of my 914 is filled with my accusump, oil filters, Hyfire box with Safeguard knock retard system as well as the coil and even the engine breather box..

Jake, I don't think we have ever seen your 914. I'd love to see how it is setup and what your engine bay and back trunk look like.

Take some pics.
Jake Raby
Mark has my car now, but I'll get pics when he is done with my brakes and suspension(hey, I'm an engine guy:-)

The weight is a concern, BUT even with all the goodies installed the weight difference is not huge.

Its a full street car that only sees driver's ed and late night runs through the mountains. I don't have time to race. I'll take 20 pounds in the trunk anyday over oil hoses 20 feet long, and the negative impacts that can have on the engine- given the opportunity..
machina
So where is your cooler at?
Jake Raby
Rear trunk is where my cooler is.....Floor of the trunk is cut out and houses a Tig welded box that has ducts feeding it to shove air through my Setrab cooler. The air exits the housing through a tube with venturi slots cut through it that protrude under the car...

The faster I go the more air is fed to, and scavenged from the cooler cavity...
JmuRiz
OK, now that you tell, you got to show that cooler setup Jake.

BTW synthesisdv, you have a very clean car. Love the battery location with the fuelcell.
thesey914
David, there appears to be a 'tie-bar' coming off the Mallory dist, what's it's purpose -something to do with keeping the timing locked?

SUCH a nice clean installation.
machina
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Oct 16 2004, 01:37 AM)
David, there appears to be a 'tie-bar' coming off the Mallory dist, what's it's purpose -something to do with keeping the timing locked?

No, that's the stainless steel -3 line for the oil pressure sender. In that pick everything is not hooked up yet.

Thanks, trying to keep it clean and easy to access.
machina
close up
thesey914
Ahhh I see. I have the same thing with the 911 sender fitted. It's pressure only so I still have the stock 'idiot' light wired with a Tee piece.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.