Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV Bolt stuck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stuttgart46
Trying to remove the engine and the last CV bolt is stripped. I can't seem to grab it with vice grips either. Anybody have any advice?
TheCabinetmaker
Drill the head off, and the bolt will come out by hand, or use a hammer and chisel to make a notch in the outside of the bolt head, then turn the chisel side ways in the notch and use the hammer to try and loosen the bolt. If you have a sawsall or a cut off tool, you can cut the head off the bolt.
kkid
clean the bolt and pipe wrench?
etcmss
I've cut the head off with dremmel and after CV joint is removed worked the remaining bolt out with WD 40 and vice grips. if all else fails have cut it off and drilled out and tapped.
gary
Bartlett 914
Really try to get it out without cutting off the head. If you cut off the head and cannot get the remaining screw out, you will have difficulty taking off the CV. Vice grips or pipe wrench. The smaller vice grips may work better than the larger ones. They seem to bite better.
Mark Henry
Hammer a larger hex key in and with vicegrips turn them both at the same time.
stuttgart46
We were in a bit of a hurry so we cut it off with the sawzall.
Thanks for all the tips. Now a different member here has a new 2.0 that he'll be installing soon and I have room for a new 6.
rhodyguy
try a small basin wrench. found in the plumbing dept of your local hardware store.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.