Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Coilovers for 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bfrymire
Just like the thread says:

I am putting this in:

(This has been posted in the Elephant racing poly bronze thread from the other day.)

Click to view attachment

Here's the driver side prepped and waiting to install.

Click to view attachment

Here's the passenger side installed.

Click to view attachment

GPR supplied the parts and did the setup for me. It has around 1 degree of negative camber as I am running Hoosier A6s. Bump steer kit also installed.

I also have their front sway bar, and will be installing that next.

Heh, I can sure tell I don't do this for a living. It took me a couple of hours to install and I still may take it apart again. smile.gif

-- brett
okieflyr
I love the tuneability factor. Does the shock tower have or get any reinforcement?
bfrymire
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Jun 2 2012, 07:09 PM) *

I love the tuneability factor. Does the shock tower have or get any reinforcement?

From what I have come to understand, for Auto cross it does not need to. (I did ask the question also. )

-- brett
effutuo101
Like!
Mike Bellis
Very cool. I think it may be a good idea to strengthen the shock towers. Even if just for piece of mine.
RSrocket
Nice set up, me likes!
carr914
Nice ! I will be doing the same thing to my 911 soon

Click to view attachment
lotus_65
looks spendy...
nice though!
pjhaun
How much does that cost?!!!!!
Me likes..what's the spring rate? ...enjoy in good health!
brant
I don't see people with coil overs really ever changing springs
McMark
drooley.gif

I was just reading about this setup. Looks great.
Andyrew
Whats the advantage here?

All I see is less tire space and higher COG
brant
If you go to a full 935 adjustable a-arm you can ditch the stock a-arm, save weight without it, and gain adjustability if you ditch the stock a-arm

also if you change springs for every event, or a couple of times a day it is slightly easier than changing torsion bars. (But really no 914 racers change spring rates for every event like a pro team would.)

stuttgart46
Is this for a track only car or will it still be streetable?
Nice looking set up BTW.
bfrymire
I am using 200lb springs for the initial setup, and am quite sure that will change. It's going to be interesting to see how the car handles afterward. This is a street/track car. It spends most of it's time autocrossing, but I do sometimes drive it around. And this leads into the 935 a-arms. I looked at those, and asked about them also. I was told that they would be too fragile in street use. Too bad.

The advantages are better variety of springs, larger range of height adjustment, and as someone said, slightly eaiser to change springs. I would be curious to hear from someone who has tracked this setup. smile.gif

Costwise, I try not too look at the recipts too much. smile.gif I had GPR do all the welding that needed to be done, and the installation of the ER Polybronze. I am a hobbiest-mechanic and didn't want to mess that part up. So:

This is $349

http://www.tarett.com/items/914-products/9...rcom-detail.htm

Add in bilstein shocks. (Don't remember the cost offhand. Can be found online.)

ER Polybronze set:

http://www.tarett.com/items/914-products/9...1x00-detail.htm

I then had to get a pair of 911 struts. Used around $600 or so.

I also added the bump-steer kit. About $289.

http://www.tarett.com/items/914-products/9...rbsk-detail.htm

I am sure i am forgetting something... smile.gif

-- brett
jmill
You can buy the entire setup from Rebel Racing.

SUNAB914
I know a guy locally that has those for sale on craiglist in Washington DC.
stuttgart46
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Jun 3 2012, 11:31 AM) *

I know a guy locally that has those for sale on craiglist in Washington DC.

How much?
Can you post a link?
bfrymire
Update.

All installed and drove it. Ran into to plenty of snafus, but finally did get it done. Has the GPR 21 mm front sway bar also.

1. Is this too low? about 4.5 inches from the jack point, and 5 inches in the rear. (Not corner balanced yet.)

2. I am getting a funny noise in a tight turn, something is rubbing. Need to troubleshoot that still.

Ok. Here's some pics.

-- brett

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

brant
most likely too low
I played around with 4inches on the donuts once.

you will blow your shocks out and create bump steer issues if too low.

brant
Madswede
I'll add that the funny rubbing noise is most likely the tire on the inside of the tire well rubbing in sharp corners - looks too low to me, FWIW. Don't do that too long, it can make your paint bubble from the heat, even if you don't mind wearing out that part of the tire.
bfrymire
Thanks guys.

The funny noise was not the usual tire hitting fender noise. Almost sounded like the spring was moving around.

I am going to raise it 1/2 inch and try again. ( well, first I am going to do an inspection.)

-- brett
bfrymire
QUOTE(bfrymire @ Aug 13 2012, 07:43 PM) *

Thanks guys.

The funny noise was not the usual tire hitting fender noise. Almost sounded like the spring was moving around.

I am going to raise it 1/2 inch and try again. ( well, first I am going to do an inspection.)

-- brett

Another update. Indeed it was a "spring" sound. The spring was hitting the inside of the strut tower. I had it adjusted full over for the most negative camber. I moved it slightly outboard, and problem solved. I still need to adjust height better, and get it corner balanced and aligned. When that is done, I will take some more pictures.

I missed the autocross this month, so, it will be next month before I have results.

-- brett
ArtechnikA
How much suspension travel do you have in bump?
Because as soon as the suspension bottoms, it does not matter what springs you have, they're out of the picture, and your spring rate suddenly becomes nearly infinite.

(Technically, you have some spring rate in the tires - but that's on the order of 1000 lbs/in)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.