Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vintage Porsches
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
Came upon this on another board. Credited to Satch Carlson, editor in chief of BMW Club magazine, Roundel.

"Do not buy a vintage Porsche, or any vintage sports car really, if you expect to stomp on the throttle and smoke the tires. These cars were built in an era of matching the car to the conditions and the engine to the car; they love to be driven in the proper gear at the proper rpm to stay at their peak torque, while the driver negotiates twisting turns and uphill-downhill esses, heel-and-toe downshifting to set up for the next corner, dancing down the narrowest of lanes in a graceful ballet. If you don't understand this scenario, go buy a Viper."
machina
happy11.gif This guy has never heard of Jake, yet.
SLITS
Ah man, sniff...sniff, that was beoutiful.....sniff, sniff...........
ruddyboys
What if you drive a yellow teener?
URY914
Didn't he write for Autoweek and got his ass in trouble with the law in a very big way?
Jake Raby
Maybe he needs to go for a ride with me......
bob91403
He's talking stock. Of course he would shit his pants if he got in a hopped up "vintage" car. But, I don't think I'd call it a vintage car at that point either. slap.gif
Howard
Old Guy Rant on:

I agree with the man. Vintage cars can be made to perform almost like the new ones, but why? I had the privilege of driving an RSK in the early 60’s. At 1100 lbs. and 125hp it could run with 3 litre Ferraris and 3.8 D-Type Jags of that era on all but the fastest tracks. Great David and Goliath thing.

But with its drum brakes, fragile and expensive 1.5 Hirth roller engine, and 6 inch wide hard tires, it would barely beat today’s prepared Miata. A new 540 BMW or even Nissan Maxima off the showroom floor would kick its ass on any track. Such is progress.

Have watched ‘Otto’ circulate Willow with his 914 and garner TTOD on several occasions. But if you goose the motor enough, the suspension, brake, and chassis rigidity inadequacies all beget more modifications. That car is no more a 914 than the NASCAR Monte Carlo’s are Chevrolets.

I have a pretty much stock 914/4 2.0 and it’s a blast to drive in that 1973 style. The power is inadequate, the brakes barely cope, and it can spin faster than you can say ‘polar moment’. It’s not perfect, but I love it.

Rant off:
davidcalvin
So.. I cant have fun driving the car? What a drag.. then why did I buy it?

Boggle..
carr914
Yes, he used to write for Autoweek (had some hilarious columns) and as I remember his trouble with the law have had something to do with him and an underage female.
Maltese Falcon
He must be PO'd at Barrett Jackson or RM Auctions or something like that. With 914 cars and prices finally coming to their deserved respect...this guy shows up like Bagdad Bob (minister of disinformation ) . Burning rubber equating to a fast car ?? bs.gif
URY914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 15 2004, 06:16 AM)
Yes, he used to write for Autoweek (had some hilarious columns) and as I remember his trouble with the law have had something to do with him and an underage female.

TC,
Thats what I remember too. Didn't want to say it until someone else did.
He use/does live in Alaska.

Gets cold up there.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.