Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Inside my rear fenders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
I was trimming away some unneeded sheet metal when I started getting in to a mine field of bondo. The car was rear ended before I bought it so I knew the corners were mostly bondo. Which is why the taillights never fit and I would get water in the trunk.

I wanted to cut away some metal from the inside of the fenders. Here it is before I started
URY914
Here it is cut away...
URY914
inside...
URY914
This is the shit I found in it or on it.Up inside the very back corner of the fender is this spray foam crap. Its the yellowish chunk in the middle of the picture. The long piece at the bottom of the picture is a stick of bondo which formed the trunk channel and it hid the rust.
Series9
Well, that should make it lighter... cool.gif
URY914
QUOTE(914RS @ Oct 14 2004, 05:26 PM)
Well, that should make it lighter... cool.gif

(spoken in a John Kerry voice)

" I have a plan to make this the lightest 914 in the free world. The present administation has no plan. I have a plan..."

rolleyes.gif Paul
Jeroen
The foam crap was factory installed... sad.gif
JeffBowlsby
Paul...as much as we all admire you and your car...

All references to your car associating it with a 914 are clearly erroneous... biggrin.gif

Surely there is another 50 lbs hiding somewhere... rolleyes.gif
URY914
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Oct 14 2004, 05:36 PM)
The foam crap was factory installed... sad.gif

Yeah, I know. They also spread a white body filler all over the place too.

Must be good stuff because it is still plyable but rust did form behind/under it.
URY914
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Oct 14 2004, 05:39 PM)

All references to your car associating it with a 914 are clearly erroneous... biggrin.gif

Sorry, I guess I need to find the forum for cars that started out as 914's.

See you guys later.

Paul bootyshake.gif
Brett W
Looks like the guy that did my car worked on yours. I found the same thing in mine last weekend. WHat the hell is it with the mud master and the expanding foam?
campbellcj
I was trimming away some unneeded sheet metal

chairfall.gif Is that supposed to surprise us or something?

It is amaaaaazing what can be done with Bondo if somebody is really determined...
smg914
Paul,
I know how you can save another 50 lbs. "Let me drive your car" I'm sure you have at least 50 lbs on me. It's like my wife says about me, "What he lacks in size, he makes up with speed" Hmmmmm, that's a good thing right?
slugmika
Paul

So what's the weight now? whats your goal?
I'am also trying to make my car as light as possible.
What are you going to do to that rear end?
i'am planning to make a mold of the tail light panel with tail lights.
I already have carbonfibre rear side panels (fenders?).

My car now weights 900kg

-Mika-
michel richard
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 14 2004, 05:43 PM)
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Oct 14 2004, 05:39 PM)

Sorry, I guess I need to find the forum for cars that started out as 914's.

See you guys later.

Paul bootyshake.gif

Cars formerly known as 914's ?
URY914
QUOTE(slugmika @ Oct 15 2004, 01:17 AM)
Paul

So what's the weight now? whats your goal?
I'am also trying to make my car as light as possible.
What are you going to do to that rear end?
i'am planning to make a mold of the tail light panel with tail lights.
I already have carbonfibre rear side panels (fenders?).

My car now weights 900kg

-Mika-

At the last weight in, it was 1,527 pounds.
It may be a little less now.

The goal is under 1,500, which I could easily get by changing to slicks.

I'm slowly working to get the rear fenders and hood to fold up like a 917. Hinged on the roll bar. wink.gif

Paul
URY914
QUOTE(smg914 @ Oct 14 2004, 10:16 PM)
Paul,
I know how you can save another 50 lbs. "Let me drive your car" I'm sure you have at least 50 lbs on me. It's like my wife says about me, "What he lacks in size, he makes up with speed" Hmmmmm, that's a good thing right?

Steve, if you'd show up at na autox I'd let you drive it. driving.gif

I'm not going to commit on the size issue. happy11.gif

Paul
balljoint
Roughly.

900 kg = 1980 lbs
1527 lbs = 694 kg

Looks like Mika has a ways to go. smile.gif
machina
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 14 2004, 09:18 PM)
This is the shit I found in it or on it

See, you think you know a car after 25 years and then look how it treats you.

w00t.gif
URY914
I have to admit. Some of that fine bondo work is work I did rolleyes.gif

Paul
slugmika
Ok, you win, thats too light for me.
i allready need to use 80kg lead weights to get my car into race weight.
My goal is 800kg so i could use my car occationally in sprint races were they are not interrested
about the weight.
It would be interresting to take a closer look to your car Paul.
Do you have pictures or internet pages about your 914?
Is it tubeframe or normal tub?
Would be nice to know what you have done.
Maybe you can suggest what i should do about this extra 100kgs sawzall-smiley.gif .

Regards
-Mika-

ps. 900kgs is without driver

"Roughly.

900 kg = 1980 lbs
1527 lbs = 694 kg

Looks like Mika has a ways to go."
URY914
I'd call it a semi-tube frame right now. Here are a few pic with the body off. I worked on it again this weekend and took the right rear fender apart. I'll post some pictures tonight.
URY914
Since these were taken I reworked the front bumber/spoiler and now I'm running 8" wheels.
machina
Paul,

I remember when your car was let's say "stock" years ago at Moroso, Sebring, etc.

Did you roadrace it with PCA, PBOC, SCCA? What class?
URY914
I ran the PCA race at Sebring for about five years. I'd win my class because I was the only one in it. rolleyes.gif

I forget the class I ran in.

Than I decided to really start making changes and it is only autox legal now. I could do a DE I guess.

Paul
DougC
I'm slowly working to get the rear fenders and hood to fold up like a 917. Hinged on the roll bar.

I've always thought that would be cool and probably do-able. I would eventually get around to trying that, maybe have the trunk lid and fenders connected with a new seam midway through the wheel well.

Doug C
URY914
Here is one more of the left side.

Needs a little bondo, I mean filler, to clean it up.
URY914
I got into the right side yesterday.

UGLY!!!
URY914
Yes that white crap is 3/8" worth of Bondo in the photo above.

This is the inside panel being cut away.
URY914
The yellow stuff is the spray in foam. Stuff is pretty hard, I had to pry it out with a screwdriver.

I put a thin skim coat of filler on both corners tonight. I had to extend the left edge over to meet the rear deck lid. It had about 1/4" of filler in the gasket channel. I used fiberglass to extend the fender edge.

Tomorrow night I should be able to sand it, and prime it.

Paul

sawzall-smiley.gif
spare time toys
gotta love the expando foam stuff in these things. Could it be they wanted them to float like the old bugs since they are VWs you know... laugh.gif
URY914
QUOTE(DougC @ Oct 18 2004, 01:30 PM)
I'm slowly working to get the rear fenders and hood to fold up like a 917. Hinged on the roll bar.

I've always thought that would be cool and probably do-able. I would eventually get around to trying that, maybe have the trunk lid and fenders connected with a new seam midway through the wheel well.

Doug C

I want to attach the fenders and the trunk lid together but still be able to remove just the trunk lid.

I lie in bed thinking of this shit. rolleyes.gif

Paul
Jeroen
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 19 2004, 03:45 AM)
I lie in bed thinking of this shit. rolleyes.gif

And I thought I was the only one who couldn't sleep because of thinking up stoopid 914 mods biggrin.gif
spare time toys
[QUOTE=URY914,Oct 18 2004, 08:45 PM] [QUOTE=DougC,Oct 18 2004, 01:30 PM] I'm slowly working to get the rear fenders and hood to fold up like a 917. Hinged on the roll bar.
I want to attach the fenders and the trunk lid together but still be able to remove just the trunk [/QUOTE]
build a box fixture using the rear 1/4 pnls as sides then make a square tube out of that C/F for acros the front and rear to connect them and hold the deck lid on with some Zues fasteners. Seems like it would work.
URY914
Larry, just sent you an email

I was just going to put small tabs on the fenders at the trunk edge and install dzus fastners through the lid and the tabs.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.