Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: i dont do service
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
morph
my friend ryan showed up today with a new car he bought that has a nice clean little motor in it.but ran like crap cause the solex carbs where just beat from age.(he also ownes a nice 2.0 914) not very mechanicly inclined he asked me to show him how to install weber ict carbs on it.took about two hours walking him through it but it ran nice after he left.
i owned a few fastbacks this is a nice one.
MattR
I wish i could get my squareback to run sad.gif. I think it needs a rebuild. One (or more) of the cylinders doesnt fire since it overheated. Does anyone have a running T3 engine they wanna get rid of?
Mark Henry
Weber ICT, yuck....I'd rather rebuild and rebush the solex's.

Does anyone have a running T3 engine they wanna get rid of?

yep...but I may be just a tad far off...

A square (or any T3) is a perfect candidate for a T4 conversion.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 15 2004, 02:59 AM)
A square (or any T3) is a perfect candidate for a T4 conversion.

it's a slippery slope...

i built a 2,0 T-III engine and it worked so well it broke the transmission - turns out 3rd and 4th are 2-piece gears and with enough torque, the 'press fit' doesn't hold them any more. when the parts slip, they get longer, and the thrust bearings go to hell in a hurry...
Mark Henry
Rich your right, like anything else, your drivetrain is only as strong as its weakest link. With my square I smoked 3rd gear this summer, but not directly from my 2.0 T1 (3) engine, but because some dufus in front of me slammed on their brakes to turn right. I had lock it up and it took out my 3rd gear, most likely it was weak from the 2.0 to start with.

Luckly a beefed bug IRS trans with welded gears can be had for about $600.

On my '71 square I'm planning to install my old 914 1.8 L-jet into it, because it ran so well. At 80hp (about 15hp more than stock FI T3) the stock trans should handle it OK.
MattR
Im looking into doing a subaru engine swap (ej20t from a wrx). I think i'd go with a 911 901 trans instead of the stock irs trans.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(MattR @ Oct 15 2004, 02:15 PM)
Im looking into doing a subaru engine swap (ej20t from a wrx). I think i'd go with a 911 901 trans instead of the stock irs trans.

sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif confused24.gif beer3.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

BTDT PITA it's much faster and easier to just bolt in a beefed IRS. I'd even do a bus trans before a 901.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.