Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 Porsche : 914 limited edit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
just found on eBay: 914 LE

original or fake ??? confused24.gif
sgomes
Oh no. Here we go again! let me guess this is the worst car everyone has seen. The seller is obviously a liar, cheat, and probably steals the pennys from the "take one leave one tray" at the super market.

<_<
smg914
Obviously you can't tell from these pictures if it's a real LE but the serial number proves that it very well may be. 4742915054 falls neatly within the range of LE's.
JeffBowlsby
This is what the seller emailed me in response to my email to him...:

You asked:
...Please tell me what makes you think this is a Limited Edition? Can you send me a photo of the a Certificate of Authenticity as proof? Thanks, Jeff"

"In 1974, there was a limited edition produced which had the targa top w/out the black as all the other models have. It was originally only two colors and had stripes on the bottom of the door with porsche 914 written on it. Red is not the original color. It was either white with orange writing or another color which I don't remember. It had already been repainted when I bought it. It also has the three guage center console. Side marker lights are deleted, and it has the front spoiler, air dam and body skirts. I do not have a Certificate of Authenticity, You are welcome to take the VIN and contact Porsche AG.Thank you, Dan"

I thanked him for his response and gave him the link to the 914 LE website.

Golly...what if it was a GH at one time... confused24.gif
smg914
I tried to look at the underside shot to see what the original color might have been. You can see some black on the battery tray and possibly some other areas. Also the front and rear trunks are black. And possibly black behind the fog light grills. Maybe it was a bumblebee. Did you notice it has a non-center console car temp type guage for the far left dash gauge?
bob91403
I thought, from the black trunks, that it was probably a bumblebee. But, from the owners description it was a creamsicle. Anybody ask him for the paint code? Maybe Bowlsby could tell us, where would you scrape paint to find the original color? Is there any paint on the backside of the airdam? Or, maybe scrape some paint off of the back edge of a rocker panel? I'm just wondering where would be a good place to look, without disturbing the existing paint job? Good looking car. If it is an LE, I hope the new owner restores it to it's original scheme. And, what is up with that 90' tach? confused24.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(bob91403 @ Oct 15 2004, 01:29 AM)
what is up with that 90' tach? confused24.gif

I have seen several other cars (especially race cars) with the tach turned 90 degrees. In fact that is how mine is. Depending on the seat height, build of the driver and type of steering wheel you have - rotating the tach makes it much easier to see the guage. I need to know when I am at 7000 rpm and it is time to shift gears.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(bob91403 @ Oct 15 2004, 12:29 AM)
...what is up with that 90' tach?

the tach is installed with the redline straight up.

have you really never seen that before ?
i've been doing it since 1975 and it was an old trick then...
JeffBowlsby
The front air dam on this car is not an LE spoiler, its aftermarket.

The black trunks could indicate it was a bumblebee but they coud have been resprayed, this car is heavily modified. Durely there is some original paint somewhere.

The VIN falls within a VIN sequence on the Registry that are all Creamsicles, so that is maybe a clue, but not definitive in and of itself. The seller later has said that he will check the paint code to see if it s L80E...but that could also mean...GH...

cool_shades.gif
skline
No matter what it is, I think its a nice looking car. I like the mono tone paint scheme. Looks very nice.
tod914
Pull up the front carpets. Might be a chance the floors are still the original color.
davep
Is there any update on the numbers for this car; chassis / paint code?
914werke
The sellor claims that the chassi plate was removed and not replaced when repaint laugh.gif and that his only proof that the car is of LE heritage is that the VIN falls within ..and that the PO said so. :finger2:
This guy is preying on the niave, buyer. This why I hate Evilbay...
Too many dumbshits and dirtbags ar15.gif
Mueller
The sellor claims that the chassi plate was removed and not replaced when repaint  and that his only proof that the car is of LE heritage is that the VIN falls within ..and that the PO said so.  
This guy is preying on the niave, buyer. This why I hate Evilbay...
Too many dumbshits and dirtbags

oh yea, by selling the car in the local newspaper or corner lot with the same descriptions makes it okay as well??? smile.gif

if someone is paying a premium or higher price than he should because he "thinks" it's an LE and worth it, then it's his own business

to me, a buyer would have to be an idiot to buy this car just for the fact that it could be an LE...the car looks to be pretty decent and I cannot see anyone buying this car to "restore" it to be a 100% LE original car....

the seller might as well remove the "limited edition" descriptions since it does not add any real value to the car as it is now....hopefully whoever buys this car, buys it because they like it just the way it is
914werke
No. your not following me Mike. False or Misleading advertizing is just that. IMHO it does make it worse when your selling sight unseen ala ebay as all you have to go by is what the sellor tells you or shows you, compared to the corner lot when you can touch it and decide on its physical merits.
Mueller
true, I guess I sorta forgot most items are bought on eBay from just descriptions and pictures which don't always tell the entire story.....

I guess the guy needs to add a disclaimer or something stating: "the car is believed to be an LE, but I have no concrete proof of it" smile.gif
davep
The chassis number should still be in the trunk floor. That would help. A COA would be definitive.
Mueller
now that I think of it, I guess it would be nice to know for sure if it is (or was in this case???) an LE, this way it can at least be documented as such so that one more of 1000 can be accounted for smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.