Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche-pattern American Racing wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JZH
I haven't been able to find any information about this set of un-used wheels I've got in storage in California. I think they're 15x8.5 and 15x10. Anyone ever seen them on a Porsche? I don't have a photo of them handy, but they're similar to what you used to find on early '60s muscle cars--rough cast centers and machined rims. The 285/40-VR15 rear tires are very hard to find these days, I hear. Pirelli made them, as did Yokohama, but what I gather on the Web is that supply is now sporadic. I've always thought they particularly suited a Porschev rather than a Porsche, further emphasizing the "hot rod" aspect of the conversion... Opinions?

Ciao,

John
London, UK
www.vsource.org
Jeroen
Yep, those are hard or close to impossible to find
I used to have 'm on the back of my VW Scirocco biggrin.gif
URY914
I know the ones you're talking about. They were used on the silver 911 speedster car that was in Road&Track back in the "70's.

I have the article but the scanner isn't working or I'd post the pics. sad.gif

VERY rare is right.

Paul
maf914
Is this the "Torque Thrust" design that was so popular on pony cars in the 60-70's? Five spoke with polished rims. They were on the original Bullet Mustang and were the bases for the current Bullet Mustang model restyled wheels. I always though they looked right on Mustangs and Camaros, even Vettes. They gave 911's a cool sort of hot-rod look.

I think American Racing also made a similar four spoke 14" wheel, with a different spoke shape, for four lug imports like Datsun 510's. I think there was a version of this for Beetles and 914's too.
URY914
I think he means these...

http://www.akhwheels.com/pages/showWheel.php?pk=17

Paul
URY914
http://www.akhwheels.com/pages/showWheel.php?pk=18

"Vintage Porsche" style. Maybe this is it.

Great site, BTW.

Paul
Carrera916
JZH....

If you have a picture of your un-used wheels, do post it....based on other members' picture above, I have seen and used the American Racing Equipment wheels on 911 that my father crewed on back in late 60's....

I might have the picture of that car running at '69 24 hr Daytona using the ARE wheels...yes, they're coolest looking wheels on these cars....if I can find the picture this weekend, I'll post it to see if that's what you're looking at....

jerry
SirAndy
QUOTE(JZH @ Oct 15 2004, 03:57 AM)
The 285/40-VR15 rear tires are very hard to find these days, I hear. Pirelli made them, as did Yokohama

you're so out of luck ...

i'm looking for 285/40 x 16 myself, NO one makes them anymore.
the best i could find so far are 265/45 x 16.

15" are even harder to find ...
unsure.gif Andy
Tom73
Here are some American Racing Equipment wheels on my little guy:

tom...
maf914
Hey, Tom,

Those are the wheels I was talking about. What size are they and what size tires are you using? Looks like you polished the spokes?

Car looks good!
brant
There is a set of these 5-bolt wheels for sale right now in the new issue of pano...

4 wheels size 15x7 for $400

sounds like a decent deal if anyone is looking

brant
Howard
QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 16 2004, 05:16 AM)
Hey, Tom,

Those are the wheels I was talking about. What size are they and what size tires are you using? Looks like you polished the spokes?

Car looks good!

I have them for my street tires. They're either a half inch wider or more offset than the stock fuchs. 15x7 is my guess, and sure won't support more than 235's. 4x100 bolt spacing.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Howard @ Oct 16 2004, 09:53 AM)
Hey, Tom,

Those are the wheels I was talking about.  What size are they and what size tires are you using?  Looks like you polished the spokes?

Car looks good!

I have them for my street tires. They're either a half inch wider or more offset than the stock fuchs. 15x7 is my guess, and sure won't support more than 235's. 4x100 bolt spacing.

4x130 you mean? wacko.gif
Howard
yup, that's what I meant, getting old
Tom73
Hey, Tom,

Those are the wheels I was talking about.  What size are they and what size tires are you using?  Looks like you polished the spokes?

Car looks good!

I just got the car and they is what was on it smile.gif Tires are 165R15. Rim appears to be about 5.5". The backspacing looks to be about 4". I don't know anything about the history of the wheel. Did they come polished or were they black?

tom...
JZH
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Oct 15 2004, 06:49 AM)
Looks like they were all 200-S, Look I found a link for vintage wheels...

http://www.akhwheels.com/pages/showWheel.php?pk=33

Bearing in mind that it has been at least 10 years since I've laid eyes upon them, I think they are the 200-S. And yes, they are definitely Porsche 5-bolt pattern. I even tracked down a full set of "duplex" lug nuts for them at some custom wheel specialty shop in Huntington Beach, but never got the bodywork budget sorted enough to mount the wheels (and buy the tires!). I might be back in the USA for T'giving, so I'll see if I can get into the shed where they're hiding and snap some pics. Thanks for the sleuthing!

Ciao,

JZH
London, UK
www.vsource.org
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.