Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what type of oil line to run to front cooler?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moparrob
Thanks to the help and encouragement of local member "Jeff" I have made more progress in getting my cooling system finished up for the six conversion project.

After we got the external thermostat mounted we decided on which way I was going to route the lines. I took an old garden hose and fished it through the longs and it exited up by the defroster where the heater hose comes out. Since I will not be using heaters on this car it will not be a problem.

Here is a look at the mockup so far.

IPB Image

IPB Image

This is the front trunk with the new fuel system installed. I had to re-mount everything slightly lower than before due to the fact it is a gravity feed system. The entire fuel system is done in 3/8 inch hard-line now.

IPB Image

So the question I have is what type of oil lines should I run from the thermostat to the front cooler and back to the thermostat? I was originally thinking about using braided lines but now I'm thinking about the blue silicone lines, since it seems as though some members have used this with success.

I'd appreciate any input you may have on arriving at that decision. Thanks in advance.
wingnut86
2 of the 3 images are awesome smile.gif

Can you reshoot the front trunk image with no flash maybe?

Do you have a list of parts shown up there as well? Holley?

Great image closeups.

Thx,
Dave
McMark
You probably won't be able to make the bends you're making with steel braided line, so that's out.

The black nylon braided works and the blue line works. Which ever one makes you happy and fits your budget.
ape914
Aeroequip and or Fragola makes a nice Nomex covered oil hose, has a tighter bend radius than there stainless covered hoses. good stuff, and it wont abraid thru the cars metal if rubbed as the stainless does. give that a try. I am running there AN-10 Nomex hose and like. Alos have their Nomex AN-8 in another car, great stuff.
SirAndy
This stuff works great:

http://www.914world.com/uploads/4281_b1.pdf (800k)

The blue hose i used is their "836 Hi-Temp, Heat-Resistant Hose"
Operating range: up to 250 psi, 300 deg. F
Burst pressure: 1000 psi

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...st&p=893543

bye1.gif
moparrob
So (with respect to our application) is it basically a cosmetic decision between the Nomex, black braided and the blue hose? Each seems to be overkill for the limited temperature and pressure in question, no?

Are the fittings or method of attachment any different between the blue, Nomex and black braided? Is one stronger than another?

Thanks.

Here is an old picture of the front trunk before I re-located the pump and filter lower...

IPB Image

Is that better?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.