Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fog lights on without headlights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rgolia
I would like to have my fog lights work without the head lights, so I can use them during the day as running lights. Can this be done without messing up the existing configuration, where the fogs go off when the high-beams are turned on?
Cevan
JWest Engineering. Here.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cevan @ Jun 4 2012, 07:34 AM) *

JWest Engineering. Here.

agree.gif Works like a charm. Installs in minutes.
pt_700
on my '71, the fog lights can be turned on with the parking lights. the headlight buckets stay down.

po installed previously?
worn
QUOTE(Cevan @ Jun 4 2012, 07:34 AM) *

JWest Engineering. Here.

Or you can simply plug the fog light relay into a different fuse under the dash. Actually it takes movement of both the relay hot wire and the switch hot wire if I remember it right.

You don't need to buy something - although I am not knocking the product, and the wiring change is a simple matter of changing where spade connectors go. It took me less than half an hour.

The basic idea is to wire the fog lights from the head light fuse. Notice that the headlights go off when you turn off the key, but the running/parking lights don't? You want the fogs to do the same.

Then you just pull out the fog light switch and leave it there. Lights on when the car is on, off when off.
rgolia
Thanks all - I purchased the JWest item.
Mark Henry
For what you are doing it can be done with a simple rewire job.

http://members.rennlist.com/demick/fogrewire.html
toolguy
actually it is a simple move of one wire on the headlight switch. That is where the power comes from to the fog switch. .
another neat thing to do is rewire the headlight flasher so it flashes the fog lights, not the high beams. . . that's a little more complicated, you need to rewire the headlight lever switch and add one wire to the fog relay. .
at the same time you've got the headlight switch pulled out, you can change the headlight motor "up" lead so the headlights stay down with just the parking lights on. . that way, you can run the parking lights and the fog lights. . . I did this so if I was driving at dusk, with the bra on the car, I could turn on lights without the doors popping up thru the bra. . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.